Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

brake pads

Options
  • 19-06-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all to settle a bet can someone tell me how many miles can one reasonably expect to get from a set of brake pads with average amount of use?Would 70000miles be above or below average?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

How long is a piece of string? :confused:

If you are starting from scratch with a new car with brand new disks you would obviously get longer wear out of them than pads replaced on worn disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 luckyD

Got 11,000 out of the last set i bought. Was on a Ford Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The car in question is a 98 nissan almera owned from new with 70000 miles on clock.Brake pads have never been replaced, is this an exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    The car in question is a 98 nissan almera owned from new with 70000 miles on clock.Brake pads have never been replaced, is this an exception?

Have you taken a look at the pads? Do you get squealing when you brake?

70000 seems very very high for no brake pad changes.

My car can go through a set of pads in two days when on the track but normally i get less than 10k miles before i have to change again.

You should always check the pads for wear. Servicing limits are usually around 2mm but i change when i have about 4mm left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I've had my car from new(05) same pads 81000km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

For the cost of them v. having to rely on them, I'd say get them changed if you have any niggling doubts about them. At least then you'll have peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

luckyD wrote: »

? Do you live on the top of a mountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

logik wrote: »
    Have you taken a look at the pads? Do you get squealing when you brake?

70000 seems very very high for no brake pad changes.

My car can go through a set of pads in two days when on the track but normally i get less than 10k miles before i have to change again.

You should always check the pads for wear. Servicing limits are usually around 2mm but i change when i have about 4mm left.

brakes work perfectly-no squealing or noise of any sort

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    brakes work perfectly-no squealing or noise of any sort

Ok mate, well then i would just take one of your wheels off the front and visually inspect the pads yourself. If there is 2.5mm or less left, i would get them changed. Its not worth the risk. You can take a wheel off in 5 minutes and have the job done in 15 minutes.

If there is a large amount of pad left, no squealing or noise, then i would not worry about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

If they are wearing the discs get a new set of discs also.They aren't very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Depends on the type of driving and driver. 70k miles would be slightly above average mileage for an Irish car IMO. I got 160k miles out of my last set of front pads and after taking them off there was probably at least another 20k left on them. i have heard of other people getting 100k+ out iof pads, one reason why you don't hear of it so often is people will change the car before the pads wear down and the next owner doesn't know the history

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's also down to driving style, if you live rural or in the city, etcetera

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Fey! wrote: »
    For the cost of them v. having to rely on them, I'd say get them changed if you have any niggling doubts about them. At least then you'll have peace of mind.

Exactly there not that expensive and your safety is on the line at the end of the day same goes for people who drive around on bald tires

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

luckyD wrote: »

ford extremely heavy on brakes had 2 focuses. the after market pads only last half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

I no there are the exceptions to the rule but are some people confusing discs and pads here?

Out of interest, im a service manager in a non-ford garage but we do service a fleet of new transits. Anyone having trouble with them EATING pads?

Advertisement