Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for new puppy - what to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

Vel wrote: »

But the second scenario I understand even less. Personally I keep my dog inside during the day when I'm out as I would be worried about him being stolen but I can understand why someone might keep their dog outside during the day. What I don't understand though is why they let the dog in for a few hours when they get home and then consign it to the backyard again at bedtime which I think is the OP's plan. I really am curious as to the reasoning behind this. A well trained and well behaved dog should not cause any mess or problems at night left alone in the house so that can't be a valid reason in my opinion.
    :):D

Again I do keep my dog inside....but I don't understand your point at all....what is the real difference from keeping a dog outside or inside when it is alone anyway at these times? If they have a warm, safe kennel and the garden is secure I don't see how it is different to be left inside...except that they have fresh air and a garden to run around in, cats and birds to chase....I live in a mid terrace house, there is no way my dog could be stolen from my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

No one is saying he can't keep his dogs out the back. I'm just trying to find out why.

Whitser, why do you keep your dogs in a pen in the back and not in the house? I'm not having a go in case you get on the defensive, just wondering:D. I take it you have working dogs, if you refer to one of them as retired?

A dog can have its own space while living in the house too and would obviously have the freedom to potter around the garden on its own also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

jenjo23 wrote: »
    Again I do keep my dog inside....but I don't understand your point at all....what is the real difference from keeping a dog outside or inside when it is alone anyway at these times? If they have a warm, safe kennel and the garden is secure I don't see how it is different to be left inside...except that they have fresh air and a garden to run around in, cats and birds to chase....I live in a mid terrace house, there is no way my dog could be stolen from my garden.

Read my post again, I said I can understand a dog being kept outside during the day when it is alone, I just choose to keep mine inside. What I don't understand is people who let the dog in for a few hours when they get home after a long day and then chuck it into the garden again. Its either part of the family or it isn't. I'm trying to understand the reasons for this. As you keep your dog inside you can't really answer that for me I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

Vel wrote: »
    No one is saying he can't keep his dogs out the back. I'm just trying to find out why.

Whitser, why do you keep your dogs in a pen in the back and not in the house? I'm not having a go in case you get on the defensive, just wondering:D. I take it you have working dogs, if you refer to one of them as retired?

A dog can have its own space while living in the house too and would obviously have the freedom to potter around the garden on its own also.
    some of my dogs are working dogs. i've 5 dogs in all.
    but as a kid at home we always had pet dogs,and they lived out the back. they came everywhere with me during the day but other wise they lived out the back. at the end of the day its each to their own. just cos you like your dogs in the house doesnt meen others are wrong to keep theirs out. long as the look after them.
    harriers can be a bit destructive so giving them the runof the garden and house would be asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

Hi peps

First time posting on this forum but a regular reader. I was delighted to come across this today as we too are picking up our Cocker Spaniel on Saturday.

I have found all the input really useful so far in particular the piece about keeping the dog in a box beside the bed which i will do. We plan to keep the dog in the house, the last dog we had was a outdoors one just because my mother loved her house. Indoors or out doors as long as its warm fed and happy.

I had a dog for 16 years but for some reason I am very nervous about this one, just stupid stuff like what if i cant train it or what if it doesnt take too the two boys, both of which I am sure will be fine.

Our intention was to set up Bed in the boys room but from reading the posts that might be given him the impression he owns the house, will that be the case? Is it best to make the kitchen his base?

One other small question I have is that our eldest who is only 7 loves dogs we have a close friend who is up with us daily and he spends hours playing with her little dog, I know the novalty won't wear off when he has his own and from what I read this breed normally bonds with its owner. I really want the Bond to be between him and the dog rather than me (not that I dont want too) he's not old enough to teach the dog, so will the dog take my teachings as me being his boss or will the time and effort the little fella puts in with him be enough to make the Bond. Again maybe I am over thinking but just trying to do thinks right.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

• Advertisement

also all dogs/breeds are different so what suits one mightnt suit another. if the dog is confident and relaxed he'll be happy out the back. also its good to have a dog in the garden from a gaurding point of view imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

Honestly I believe there is a big difference between a well-stimulated working dog living outside and a family pet being thrown out the back and getting no attention at all.

I personally have no problem with dogs such as sheepdogs and hunting dogs living outside as they are normally well worked and have lots of interaction with other dogs and with their owner. Pets on the other hand can end up out the back, with only half an hours interaction and stimulation in the form of a walk (sometimes less). That is obviously not a healthy environment for the dog.

Me, I keep my dogs inside and they get two walks a day (sometimes three) and they are very content beings. I wouldnt have it any other way.

soupie wrote: »
    Hi peps

First time posting on this forum but a regular reader. I was delighted to come across this today as we too are picking up our Cocker Spaniel on Saturday.

I have found all the input really useful so far in particular the piece about keeping the dog in a box beside the bed which i will do. We plan to keep the dog in the house, the last dog we had was a outdoors one just because my mother loved her house. Indoors or out doors as long as its warm fed and happy.

I had a dog for 16 years but for some reason I am very nervous about this one, just stupid stuff like what if i cant train it or what if it doesnt take too the two boys, both of which I am sure will be fine.

Our intention was to set up Bed in the boys room but from reading the posts that might be given him the impression he owns the house, will that be the case? Is it best to make the kitchen his base?

One other small question I have is that our eldest who is only 7 loves dogs we have a close friend who is up with us daily and he spends hours playing with her little dog, I know the novalty won't wear off when he has his own and from what I read this breed normally bonds with its owner. I really want the Bond to be between him and the dog rather than me (not that I dont want too) he's not old enough to teach the dog, so will the dog take my teachings as me being his boss or will the time and effort the little fella puts in with him be enough to make the Bond. Again maybe I am over thinking but just trying to do thinks right.

its possible that you'll both be the boss as long as the dog knows his place in the pecking order is below you and your kid. once the kid doesnt let the dog boss him he'll be fine.

fits wrote: »
    Honestly I believe there is a big difference between a well-stimulated working dog living outside and a family pet being thrown out the back and getting no attention at all.

I personally have no problem with dogs such as sheepdogs and hunting dogs living outside as they are normally well worked and have lots of interaction with other dogs and with their owner. Pets on the other hand can end up out the back, with only half an hours interaction and stimulation in the form of a walk (sometimes less). That is obviously not a healthy environment for the dog.

Me, I keep my dogs inside and they get two walks a day (sometimes three) and they are very content beings. I wouldnt have it any other way.
    a pet dog can be well stimulated as well. like i said as long as the pet not left in solitary out the back its fine to leave him on his own. if he's confident he'll know that he's not being abandoned or rejected.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Just wondering, why do you want the dog to sleep outside?
    Don't see what the problem with the dog being allowed to stay indoors is once he is housetrained?
    op wasnt leaving the dog on its own all day, they were just making the dog sleep outside at night. and i see nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

whitser wrote: »
    op wasnt leaving the dog on its own all day, they were just making the dog sleep outside at night. and i see nothing wrong with that.

go away for a couple of days to look after the new puppy and all hell breaks loose. ;)

To respond to some of this, the puppy has got access to the kitchen and back yard.
    He loves it out there, and is free to roam around and make his mark.
    He is getting lots of attention, and is already sitting, staying, and coming to me on command (though not always) :D

We originally planned on keeping him outside, and we still do. However, the weather has been terrible, so for his own health, he's sleeping inside for now.
    After the first day, he's even started looking to go outside to do his business - he seems a really smart puppy. :)

As others have said, I don't see anything wrong with him living outside, he'll have good shelter, access to the garden if necessary, and will not be lacking in love or attention.

He even has a puppy creche (ie my girlfriends parents) a couple of miles away, if we have to go away for a night or two, and they adore him already.

He's doing well so far, I just hope he keeps learning as fast as he's started.

soupie wrote: »
    Hi peps

I was also a bit worried about the training side, but it seems ok to me now that I have him. Just watch out for the warning signs of him about to do his business and let him out as quickly as possible.

He's been quick with other stuff too, and is great fun, just have to try to stop him chewing everything. :D

You aren't by any chance picking up your dog in Co Galway?
    Our breeder said she had one to be picked up this weekend, just wondering if they are littermates.

Oh one tip for you, we got a kids play pen, seems perfect for him in the kitchen at night. He has his bed at one end, papers the other in case of any accidents, which haven't come so far.
    And most importantly, its too tall for him to get out of, which was a problem when I was first searching the hardware stores for planks of wood to make one from.
    He can also see us from it, which is comforting for him while we're making dinner etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

I have a cocker too, they are the best pets ever!! My guy is 10 weeks old

He has picked up on everything really quickly, practically goes to the toilet on command!! Yesterday he went to the back door and whined and I opened it and he went out and did a poo!! I was so amazed and proud.

I brought him out every 1/2hr - 1hr when we got him and waited him for him to go and made a big fuss of him when he did!! Keep that up and they'll be sorted in no time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

We originally planned on keeping him outside, and we still do. However, the weather has been terrible, so for his own health, he's sleeping inside for now.
    After the first day, he's even started looking to go outside to do his business - he seems a really smart puppy.

You never answered the question though, WHY are you planning on keeping him outside? For what reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You never answered the question though, WHY are you planning on keeping him outside? For what reason?

WHY is it any of your business? It's not like he's mistreating the dog by keeping it outside at night. It has a big kennel to sleep in and access to a big garden. It also has a playpen in the kitchen.

kerrysgold wrote:

WHY is it any of your business? It's not like he's mistreating the dog by keeping it outside at night. It has a big kennel to sleep in and access to a big garden. It also has a playpen in the kitchen.

Thanks for sticking up for me adrieanne__x, but to put an end to this, here's my answer kerrysgold.

I believe that a dog has more freedom outside than inside & it is more natural environment for him.
    He can roam the garden following some scent, disappear under the shed, get used to birds, outside noises etc.
    Those things he can't do in a house.

Can you tell me WHY you would plan on keeping a dog inside?
    Indoors in a man-made building is hardly a natural place to keep an animal is it?

You can answer or not, I don't really care.
    What you should do however, is recognise that people have differing opinions and your view is not necessarily correct all the time.

Well, all dogs I know and have met would rather be indoors with their family than outside, I know my own dogs when I put them out in the garden for a while usually sniff around for about 5 minutes before they get bored and just want to come indoors again.
    a dog on it's own outdoors is usually lonely and bored, they much prefer to have company. Why do you think there are so many threads on here from people going on about their neighbours dogs barking keeping them awake etc? dogs that are left on their own outside are bored and lonely. It's a nice idea that he'll be out there chasing butterflies etc. but not very realistic. of course all dogs enjoy outdoor time walks, going to the beach etc. but that is fun stuff, it's just boring for them to be left out in a garden, especially if he's on his own. (i.e. no doggy companion to play with)

as for keeping my dogs indoors, they can go out when they like and come in when they like, it's up to them. if they are bored and lonely outside, I don't force them to stay there.

there you go again getting up on your soap box.
    the poster is not abusing in the dog in any way,in fact it sounds like they'll make v good pet owners. just cos you gie your dogs the run of the house doesnt mean that every one else should. theres nothing wrong with sleeping dogs out the back. your either very young and immature or you just havent a clue what your talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

whitser wrote: »
    well i keep dogs in pens out the garden and i also have an old springer thats retired into the house full time. i see nothing wrong with a dog in the garden as long as its not left solo all all day long. dogs are quite happy out the back,in fact they need their own space. a dog cant be the centre of attention the whole time. the op has done everthing right here, got all the hardware before the pups arrived. asked what to look out for etc.... if he wants to keep the dog out the back so be it.

+ 1 @ whitser. I am in 100% agreement. We have 2 dogs, who keep each other comany. Our dogs have a pen in the backgarden and they can do whatever they want out there. If it is cold outside then we bring them inside to sleep. But while it is warm and summery they are outside - and they love it!

There are a lot of very opinionated people on this thread. kerrysgold, if your dog is used to being indoors and you put it outside then of course it is going to look miserable!! Your dog is accustomed to it.
    of course all dogs enjoy outdoor time walks, going to the beach etc. but that is fun stuff, it's just boring for them to be left out in a garden, especially if he's on his own. (i.e. no doggy companion to play with)

This is plain hysteria! Its just plain boring to them is it?? So what is so different with indoors then? I'm sorry, I just don't agree with you KerryGold. It just doesn't add up and you are generalising. and humanising your dog! I dont think it is fair on them being couped up indoors, they need to be out running around and enjoying themselves, not falling under your feet in the kitchen as you make scones forn the family or bored watching soaps. A dog, whether it is indoors or outdoors has to be entertained. I agree that dogs left with nothing to do will bark! But surely, indoors or out, you have a duty to provide activities for your dog - like a Kong, a nice meaty bone or some new toys. I tend to agree with Whitser about your posts.

I find it a bit offensive that you think I sit down all day watching soaps O.o I am outside a lot of the time with my dogs, it is when they are outside on their own that they get bored. basically dogs like to be with their family. I get the impression that this dog is not going to have his family out in the garden with him all the time and so will be alone for a considerable amount of time. there is really no point in making him sleep outside if he would be happier indoors with his family, the view of dogs being happy outside on their own is a bit whimsical to say the least, especially in a standard garden. I know plenty of outdoor dogs in my area and they spend 99% of their time sleeping or lying on the doorstep waiting for somebody to come out, no doubt from boredom and lack of stimulation.

• Advertisement

... sigh ... yet another post full of generalisations .. You do tend to look for bad pet owners on this forum Kerrygold don't you. I saw another post where someone asked a simple question and you jumped at them about how much they walked their dog. This thread was about a guy who was getting a new dog .... a happy occasion really. The chap was looking forward to the new arrival and making whatever preparations he could. And you are here looking for the worst in that person. I think you have a bit of a neck really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The weather is so unpredictable at the moment putting a young pup out there could be a disaster. If the pup gets out of the kennel and gets soaked in the night that could be serious.

In my experience puppys are like babies they just want you and you and you. They are also happy to sleep a lot of course but they love to cuddle on a lap. I wouldn't think of introducing the dog to the outdoors until it was older and hardier.

A compramise could be putting a dog flap in the door so that if the dog wanted to sleep in the kennel it could or if it wanted to sleep in the kitchen it could.

The main problem I have had with kennels be they timber or plastic type is that they all let in water, unless mabey you get one of the ones that have a plastic flap. I have found the kennels including an igloo one a nightmare so a small shed might be a better option with a dog flap in it in the long term.

Also be careful with puppy toys thigns like rubber chickens can be ripped and chewed and swallowed so never leave a young pup especially alone with these toys. Toys like puppy kongs are much safer.

Also ensure you garden has no sharp or toxic plants of material like cocoa mulch.

The weather is so unpredictable at the moment putting a young pup out there could be a disaster. If the pup gets out of the kennel and gets soaked in the night that could be serious.

For sure. I should have been clearer in my post with the puppy versus dog. Ours weren't outside during the day until they were 14 weeks old. They didn't sleep outside until they were 20 weeks old.

At 8 weeks they were just too young to be outside at all. They couldn't even manage the little step down from the decking .. bless them. Puppies don't have their vacinations until 12 weeks and they don't you canot get them on vet insurance until they are FULLY vacinated. The parvo shot given at 8 weeks isn't enough according to our vet.

If its lashing rain or bad weather our dogs are in with us - outside is only for nice weather and kongs or a decent bone to chew on. If we are there they are with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

I was also a bit worried about the training side, but it seems ok to me now that I have him. Just watch out for the warning signs of him about to do his business and let him out as quickly as possible.

He's been quick with other stuff too, and is great fun, just have to try to stop him chewing everything. :D

You aren't by any chance picking up your dog in Co Galway?
    Our breeder said she had one to be picked up this weekend, just wondering if they are littermates.

Oh one tip for you, we got a kids play pen, seems perfect for him in the kitchen at night. He has his bed at one end, papers the other in case of any accidents, which haven't come so far.
    And most importantly, its too tall for him to get out of, which was a problem when I was first searching the hardware stores for planks of wood to make one from.
    He can also see us from it, which is comforting for him while we're making dinner etc.

Hi

No we picked ours up in New Ross in Wexford, he's 10 weeks old. I cant get over how clever he is on Saturday and Sunday alone we have l thought him to give paw, sit and walking on lead, small I know but I couldnt believe how quick he got it.

He's an awful chewer, he'll chew everything but the chewables we bought him. He's also very nosey he cant help putting his paws and nose up on to chairs and into press's, he has no interest in the No command when he's doing this just keeps doing it.

He seems quite clever with the pooing in the house, he has gone twice inside but every other time he walks around for a bit and sniffs the door and we let him out. I think he'll master this over the next week or so.

I've no fear of him bonding with the young lad as he practically followed his every move on Sunday when he was not sleeping.

Advertisement