Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i sell my bike?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi. i got an giant escape m1 about 3 months ago but have now decided that i want to get rid of it and replace it with a touring bike. the problem is that the Escape m1 is actually a very good bike that is worht a lot more than most shops are willing to give on a trade in. new the bike cost €700 and i have barely used it. does anybody know where i can try and sell the bike or of a shop that does take on a high standard of second hand bikes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

How much are you looking for for it? Cyclesuperstore sell the 08 version for 599, so based on that I wouldn't expect anything more than 300 maybe 350. Bicycles depreciate really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You won't get good money from a shop. Ultimately though depreciation on bikes is massive so you will have to be prepared to take a big hit. If you get 65-70% of what you paid for it you will be doing very well. (€450-500 if bike was €700) If the RRP has since dropped, as penexpers says even lower- although you should get more than 50% current new price if it is only three months old and in perfect condition. For a €600 bike 65%-70% gives you €390-420.

Now (start of the summer) is the best time to be selling it, so if you want it gone do whatever you can to shift it now, price will take a big hit towards the end of the summer.

Here, adverts.ie, gumtree.ie and Buy & Sell are your best bets. There was a thread on here recently with someone looking at that very bike, you may find someone who wants something like that. The other big problem with selling on second-hand is you have to find someone that not just wants that sort of bike but who is the same size as you- obviously this is not a problem for someone buying new, they can pick whatever size they like.

Good luck with that and let me know if you want advice on the tourer, I have one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

To get the most money for the bike you'll have to sell it yourself - a shop will give you less than they think they can sell it for. Advertise online (Adverts, bike websites) and in the Buy n Sell.

You can also sell second hand bikes through the Cycle Superstore:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/shbikes.asp
    I believe they take a cut of the final price.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

and you have to be aware how much people can get the bike for online also.

I was looking recently and you can get an 08 M1 brand new for €350 from these guys

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id38404.html

You will be doing extremely well to get 300 imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 escape m1

it is the 08 version so i was hoping for around 400 seeing as its in the same condition as when it was on the shop floor. obviously if there is no interest i'd be willing to drop the price.

• Advertisement

escape m1 wrote: »
    it is the 08 version so i was hoping for around 400 seeing as its in the same condition as when it was on the shop floor. obviously if there is no interest i'd be willing to drop the price.

well thats the key to it really, ask for what you want, wait and see what happens and see who bites. You may get someone looking for it who will pay what you want you never know. Once you go cheap enough it will always sell. If it was 200 I'd snap it up myself and I don't need one, so someone else may do the same at 3 or 400. The first thing everyone will do is a search online though and there are a lot of them for sale new for less than your asking so be prepared for people to point that out. You should point out shipping risks etc, that you have the receipt , they are covered by shop etc..

copacetic wrote: »
    well thats the key to it really, ask for what you want, wait and see what happens and see who bites. You may get someone looking for it who will pay what you want you never know. Once you go cheap enough it will always sell. If it was 200 I'd snap it up myself and I don't need one, so someone else may do the same at 3 or 400. The first thing everyone will do is a search online though and there are a lot of them for sale new for less than your asking so be prepared for people to point that out. You should point out shipping risks etc, that you have the receipt , they are covered by shop etc..

the cheapest that i can find is €599. the only way of getting it cheaper is to buy it in sterling from england. is that really a factor for people because of the difference in exchange rate, shipping and packaging and of course the risk and inconvenience of posting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

copacetic- that was a special offer from JEJames and they are all sold out of them (this is quite common with that site.) Also, you can't directly compare with UK prices, Irish prices are notoriously higher, there is a delivery cost (generally around £20 although can be as much as £50) and many people looking for a second-hand hybrid wouldn't necessarily be so comfortable buying online.

escape m1- I don't think €400 is unreasonable, you could get that, but there is a bit of luck of the draw involved. You might have to go lower- but below a certain price you might consider just hanging on to the Giant and using it for an "about town" bike so as not have your new tourer out in the rain/at risk of being stolen etc.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

What size is the bike?

here is the information on the bike.
    giant escape m1 for sale. only 3 months old and has had very little use. reason for sale is to upgrade to a touring bike. price is negotiable.
    SIZE - 21 (L)
    FRAME - ALUXX aluminium, Fluid Formed
    FORK - CroMo rigid
    HANDLEBAR - GIANT A3 aluminium riser
    STEM - Aluminium ahead
    SEAT POST - GIANT A3 aluminium
    SADDLE - GIANT
    PEDALS - Wellgo platform
    SHIFTERS - Shimano Alivio 24 speed Rapidfire Plus
    FRONT MECH - Shimano C051
    REAR MECH - Shimano Alivio
    BRAKES - GIANT MPH Root hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors
    BRAKE LEVER - GIANT MPH Root
    CASSETTE - Shimano HG30 11-32
    CHAIN - Shimano HG50
    CRANKS - Shimano FC-M191 28/38/48
    BOTTOM BRACKET - Cartridge
    RIMS - Alex ACE 18 26"
    HUBS - Shimano M475
    SPOKES - Stainless steel
    TYRES - Maxxis Detonator 26x1.5"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Cheers. Might have be interested if it was the 23" size.

Best of luck though.

blorg wrote: »
    copacetic- that was a special offer from JEJames and they are all sold out of them (this is quite common with that site.) Also, you can't directly compare with UK prices, Irish prices are notoriously higher, there is a delivery cost (generally around £20 although can be as much as £50) and many people looking for a second-hand hybrid wouldn't necessarily be so comfortable buying online.

escape m1- I don't think €400 is unreasonable, you could get that, but there is a bit of luck of the draw involved. You might have to go lower- but below a certain price you might consider just hanging on to the Giant and using it for an "about town" bike so as not have your new tourer out in the rain/at risk of being stolen etc.

Good luck with it.

apologies to the OP then, I don't want to spoil his sale so I won't link but the bike is available for similar prices on other uk sites while a certain site we all buy from a lot has the next one up the M0 for the rrp of the M1.

I was really saying that people will search and look to thrown it in his face on adverts. I know myself I have a few bikes still that I kept because I wouldn't let them go cheap, eventually you have to shift them!

Advertisement