Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you like in an Anime?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

What kind of things do you like in an Anime? I like ones with a fairly intelligent storyline, but not crazy complex/confusing and a bit of grit usually helps. If the animation is good that is always a plus, but I'll still watch an older one with poorer drawings if it is good in other areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tits.

Oops, did I derail your mature discussion? :D

Failing that, how about "a believable world that doesn't create a million technical terms to try to differentiate itself from other works".

Seriously: a "claymore" is a type of sword, not a type of demon hunter.
    Made-up terms only work if they describe something we don't have, or something that is genuinely different; e.g. Gurren Lagann's "Ganmen", because I can't name any other mecha show with giant-faced mecha.

[/mini-rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

I like animes which are multi-leveled. Thats in to say good animation and some cool robots and cyborgs but also deep philosophical subtext. N.G.E. and Ghost in the shell are perfect examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I like short animes that don't span on for a few hundred episodes of crap.

Most of the time I like the phchological ones, also a big Elfen Laid fan, really liked that (no not for the naked children >_> )

I also think if you get a good anime that has some laughs and morals that isn't too childish you're onto a winner too, one that comes to mind is GTO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

I like short animes that don't span on for a few hundred episodes of crap.

Most of the time I like the phchological ones, also a big Elfen Laid fan, really liked that (no not for the naked children >_> )

I also think if you get a good anime that has some laughs and morals that isn't too childish you're onto a winner too, one that comes to mind is GTO.

Ones which have a common theme being conveyed through different short storie, using different animation styles always float my boat. e.g. Memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

They have tomake sense in the context oif their own universe, i.e. FMA or Bleach.
    Good storyline, as heavy as you wish but you have to have the little emotional chibi outbursts.
    Fighting is not necessary but I find it generally is used as a story device as much as an action scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

andgoodbye wrote: »
    They have tomake sense in the context oif their own universe, i.e. FMA or Bleach.
    Good storyline, as heavy as you wish but you have to have the little emotional chibi outbursts.
    Fighting is not necessary but I find it generally is used as a story device as much as an action scene.

Studio Ghibli always seem to balance this well..

Advertisement