Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

crash yesterday Gardai not interested

Options
  • 19-06-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

my cousin was in a crash yesterday morning.

she was stopped at the lights and some bint went into the back of her. she pulled over as did another driver that that saw what happened, she knocked on the window of the car that hit her and the driver just took off down the road.

they managed to get a good description of the car and the full reg number. she went to the Garda and pretty much got the "what you want us to do about it" attitude.

what should she do? I've told her to go back to the station and give a statement and also ask the witness to do the same. then inform her insurance company of the incident.

no idea of what sort of damage was done to the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Last time I checked, leaving the scene of an accident was a criminal offence.

The guards better be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

that's what i told her, hence why i said go back to the station and if the guy gives the same attitude to politely ask for a chat with his super.

i mean she has an independent witness that is willing to give a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BlackAvon08

Yes I agree in an ideal world the Gardaí should have taken more action.

In the greater scheme of things (assuming there isn’t too much damage) it maybe easier to let it go. It may not really be worth the time & hassle pursuing this. In his/her own way I think that is what the Guard was trying to tell this lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the greater scheme of things (assuming there isn’t too much damage) it maybe easier to let it go. It may not really be worth the time & hassle pursuing this. In his/her own way I think that is what the Guard was trying to tell this lady.

Someone going in to the back of you never leaves not-much damage and in 99 times out of 100, the person who hit you is automatically and fully at fault. A 10mph max rear-ending to my car on Tuesday has left just under a grand of damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I personally would be pursuing the matter, regardless of damage done. To drive into another vehicle & drive off, is NOT acceptable behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

It may not be worth the time and hassle to the Lazy ass Garda, but it will be to the op's cuz when you take into account insurance and no claims bonus etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah ppl are so inconsiderate. sitting in my car waiting to get out and a car attempted to park as close as he could beside me. then when his kid got out of the car hit the door off the car then when the driver got out hit my car again. so at this i gave him the evils. anyway he went up the road a bit but obviously forgot something and came back and seriously slammed his door into my car. at this i opened my door and asked would he appreciate if i did that to his car . he laughed and said relax. at that i hit his car with my door and got out. now i dented his car as he had to mine.

ppl are ass holes . keep at the gaurds til they do something.

i also had another occasion when going around the lusk by pass and someone bumped me twice once at each round about. his excuse was that he had no brakes. i said nothing the first time but the second time i flipped . i rang the guards and they said because it was a foreign reg they could do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There could also be a reasonable assumption that someone who flees the scene like that, especially if the damage was relatively minor, might be hiding something else, like no insurance, tax, driving licence etc. I think it's absolutely scandalous that the guards weren't interested in something like this ... itwouldn't happen anywhere else, I can guarantee you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Do you mind me asking, where did this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BlackAvon08

NiSmO wrote: »

To be honest I wouldn’t let the incident get to me like that. If you can pursue it then great – if not then C'est la Vie. Why let it screw you up to the “bitter end”? :mad:

TIP: Put a towbar on the back of your car – that’s what I do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Martron wrote: »
    yeah ppl are so inconsiderate. sitting in my car waiting to get out and a car attempted to park as close as he could beside me. then when his kid got out of the car hit the door off the car then when the driver got out hit my car again. so at this i gave him the evils. anyway he went up the road a bit but obviously forgot something and came back and seriously slammed his door into my car. at this i opened my door and asked would he appreciate if i did that to his car . he laughed and said relax. at that i hit his car with my door and got out. now i dented his car as he had to mine.

You're lucky that incident didn't escalate into this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLb-a-EZiRI&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

when someone crashed into my car in a car park.... i literally had to ring the super and tell him that im friends with god to get them to do anything... and they said back that i had been in alot of acidents... in the end i had to tell them which car it was and go to his house... it all seemed so simple but they put up a fight to do anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

that hilarious thats how it started alright!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

dade wrote: »
    they managed to get a good description of the car and the full reg number. she went to the Garda and pretty much got the "what you want us to do about it" attitude.

Tell her to print out the form in the link below and go back to the station, asking the garda to help her fill in his details. He wont be long getting his finger out then :p

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/GSOC/GSOC-1-form.pdf

grahambo wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking, where did this happen?

Dublin 3 area, around Fairview/clontarf. not 100% on where, but given that the witness was in the lane beside her I will assume Fairview/bottom of Malahide road/ clontarf road area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

Alun wrote: »
    There could also be a reasonable assumption that someone who flees the scene like that, especially if the damage was relatively minor, might be hiding something else, like no insurance, tax, driving licence etc.

...or over the alcohol limit.

Gardai should definitely have acted on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

was it an irish registered car?
    why not name and shame on here (if ok with admins)

Put the make/model and reg number of the car on here and see if any of us see it around and report back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mc-BigE wrote: »

Put the make/model and reg number of the car on here and see if any of us see it around and report back?

Ehhh ...No!

Let the gardai do their work (if and when they can be bothered)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Exact same thing happened to my friend last year, where a foreign car ran into the back of him, then drove off. My friend rang the Guards but there didn't seem remotely interested at all- there a lazy shower of *****.

Oh and btw, even a low-speed rear impact can cause significant damage to the chassis, which may not be visible on the exterior of the car- C'est la vie as you say yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Exact same thing happened to my friend last year, where a foreign car ran into the back of him, then drove off. My friend rang the Guards but there didn't seem remotely interested at all- there a lazy shower of *****.

Oh and btw, even a low-speed rear impact can cause significant damage to the chassis, which may not be visible on the exterior of the car- C'est la vie as you say yourself.

You should say he was wearing a balaclava and had f*ck the law spray painted on the side of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Someone hit the back of my car outside the Granite Pub in Palmerstown and drove off. Got the reg and make of car. Went to the cops in Ronanstown and the guy behind the desk was'nt interested. Turns out the car wasnt taxed nor insured for the last couple of years. He gave me the name & address of the owner and I knew by the address details that he was'nt responsible.

In the end, I had to fork out €600 for a new bumper. Moral of the story is that you can hit the back of anyone and get away with it but do 62 in a 60 and you are fcuked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

What about the MIBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jo King wrote: »
    What about the MIBI?

Generally they won't pay unless they can track who was driving (they only cover personal injuries in a hit and run); but theres a point to be argued that someone was still registered keeper of the car and hence was liable for it...

Mc-BigE wrote: »

it was Irish, some old woman driving it and no i wont be naming and shaming. far as i know she's going back to the station and making another formal complaint about it this time if she's fobbed off she's asking for the super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

dade wrote: »
    my cousin was in a crash yesterday morning.

she was stopped at the lights and some bint went into the back of her. she pulled over as did another driver that that saw what happened, she knocked on the window of the car that hit her and the driver just took off down the road.

what should she do? I've told her to go back to the station and give a statement and also ask the witness to do the same. then inform her insurance company of the incident.

no idea of what sort of damage was done to the car.

ah come on, it was early, the gardai were probably only on their second breakfast rolls, you should call back some evening after dinner when their blood-salt levels are upto normal. i'm sure they'll sort it out then...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

. i rang the guards and they said because it was a foreign reg they could do nothing not be bothered doing anything
    Fixed that for you. :D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

seriously slammed his door into my car.

Urge to kill rising......:mad:

This would seriously piss me off, if the dent was bad enough I would be looking for some kinda cash off him there and then. Also the fact that he did it in full view of you and repeatedly would not help the situation at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Alun wrote: »
    There could also be a reasonable assumption that someone who flees the scene like that, especially if the damage was relatively minor, might be hiding something else, like no insurance, tax, driving licence etc. I think it's absolutely scandalous that the guards weren't interested in something like this ... itwouldn't happen anywhere else, I can guarantee you.

+1 bloody right.

Advertisement