Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

crash yesterday Gardai not interested

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Someone crashed into me a few years ago and fled.

Didn't get the reg but after posting on forums I was contacted by a witness the next morning who got the reg. I went to the guards and they weren't helpful at first but eventually caught him about 6 months later and made him pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I came across a bad accident a few years ago a few miles outside Blessington. I had never been there before so I wasnt familiar with the area. I rang 999 and I explained the situation and tried to tell them my location i.e. info on landmarks, explaining how far I was from Blessington. The 999 operator shouted at me that it would be my fault if anything happened to the victims because the emergency services couldnt get to them because of my directions. I told him the road number, signposts I saw but he still kept at me. In the end he hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

I rang the gards in Tuam last year to report dangerous driving, the woman on the other end said...."would you mind calling back in a half hour, they're changing shifts" I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

sorry to hijack!

My boyfriends car was hit in middle of night last night outside our house in estate and whoever hit it flew off and didnt leave note or anything.

His car is destroyed...going to cost thousands supposedly-prob more than cars worth.

Does anyone know if fully comp insurance covers for things like this as its essentially a hit and run and we hav no reg or details except one of my neighbours saying its a "sky blue car"...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

To be honest I wouldn’t let the incident get to me like that. If you can pursue it then great – if not then C'est la Vie. Why let it screw you up to the “bitter end”? :mad:
    because the next time the silly bint isn't paying attention she might sail through a zebra crossing with a member of YOUR family getting whacked as they cross.

To the OP: I was hit by a car on my motorcycle (put out of work for a few weeks, bike almost written off) and I got the same disgraceful 'couldn't care less' attitude from the boys in blue when I reported this driver leaving the scene (hit and run-I was on the ground when the w@nker drove off). The guards are fcuking useless incompetents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

suzieb wrote: »
    sorry to hijack!

My boyfriends car was hit in middle of night last night outside our house in estate and whoever hit it flew off and didnt leave note or anything.

His car is destroyed...going to cost thousands supposedly-prob more than cars worth.

Does anyone know if fully comp insurance covers for things like this as its essentially a hit and run and we hav no reg or details except one of my neighbours saying its a "sky blue car"...

thanks
    If you have a witness that your car was hit by 'someone' who fled then you should be able to claim against the MIBI(?). Report it to the guards and get a reference number first and foremost. Then contact your own insurance company and ask them the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 luvroad

Go back or phone the Garda Station in question. Find out the Gardas rank and number that you were talking to on the day of the accident. Next, phone the Garda Station in question and ask to speak to the Superintendent, if not available, arrange a meeting with him or her. Describe what happened on the day of the accident and how you were treated by the Gardai on duty in the station. We all pay well for this service! Good luck! The thing is, if people don't get a response from a Garda there's always a higher rank, who, after you've told your story,will sit up and listen. I guarantee you this will work. So don't lie down and let some jumped up little snotty nosed cop give you the elbow treatment!!
    Make your stand for us all, and good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

suzieb wrote: »

Of course it does. That's what fully comp is for.
    The only problem is (unless it's protected), you'll lose your no-claims.

It'd be well worth looking into what murphaph said above as an alternative, either way, you're covered for the damage.

Advertisement