Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Options
  • 19-06-2008 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Can someone put me straight on this?

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB

Do I understand this correctly?

Did that start out as a B2/B3 Stepping & then progress to what's called a 95W?

And what does the same processor with the "GO" I hear people talking about mean? I can't see the "Go" in any of the descriptions on any of the more well known sites.

In other words, how would I know if I was buying a "GO" or a non "GO"

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can someone put me straight on this?

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB

Do I understand this correctly?

Did that start out as a B2/B3 Stepping & then progress to what's called a 95W?

And what does the same processor with the "GO" I hear people talking about mean? I can't see the "Go" in any of the descriptions on any of the more well known sites.

In other words, how would I know if I was buying a "GO" or a non "GO"

-

That 95W means 95 watts, it's power usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Spear wrote: »
    That 95W means 95 watts, it's power usage.

Yep I understand that but is it the 95W version that runs much cooler than the B3 stepping & what's with the "GO" I see mentioned in a lot of the reviews?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah it does run cooler the older ones were 105w I think. G0 is the 95w one - and I'd imagine that's all you can get for the most part now, some websites have the stepping as part of the product info.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Heres a little info on the G0 stepping, in summary its a better overclocker due to its lower heat output

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yep I understand that but is it the 95W version that runs much cooler than the B3 stepping & what's with the "GO" I see mentioned in a lot of the reviews?

-

That's G0, not GO. G0 is a later stepping with less power usage then B3.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1159/2/overclocking_the_g0_slacr_q6600_to_4ghz/index.html

See page 2.

• Advertisement

I emailed Komplett & asked the following:

I'm looking at purchasing
    SKU: 330169 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan)

I am only interested in the chip with "GO Stepping" & am not able to determine from the details on your site if this item is indeed the "GO Stepping" version.

My understanding is that this can be confirmed by checking the product code label on the box & in particular the last five(5) digits of the code.

If the last five digits are SLACR then it is a "GO Stepping" chip.

If the last five digits are SL9UM then it is not "GO Stepping" chip.

Can you please confirm for me if SKU: 330169 is the "GO Stepping" version?

Here's their reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee stepping codes because we sell from mixed batches

I'm sorry we can't be more help,

So, other than physically being able to have hands on in the bricks & mortar shop & paying twice the price for the chip, is it really down to the luck of the draw?

-

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

95W

overclockers.co.uk sell the 95W version guarantied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

It's so long since the G0 came out I doubt if Komplett would have any of the old steppings left.

poggy wrote: »
    95W

overclockers.co.uk sell the 95W version guarantied.

OK, so the 95W is the GO version?

From your link I see that the OCC/UK one is described as a SLACR version so it is what I'm after?

-

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

OK, so the 95W is the GO version?

From your link I see that the OCC/UK one is described as a SLACR version so it is what I'm after?

-
    Yep, that's the one you are after. The SLACR/95W/G0 stepping all refer to the cpu you are after.

• Advertisement

Yep, that's the one you are after.

Gr8,

Now I see on the Komplett site under the additional Information section that theirs is listed as a 95W too even though they say they can't be sure :confused:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330169&view=detailed#ProductTabs

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

just buy it from overclockers. you save money with the conversion rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

There is a bit of confusion here...

There is no such thing as a Q6600 GO only a Q6600 G0 (zero! )

Cheers for all the feedback people.

I have a related question regarding a particular CPU Cooler Fan for the Q6600.

I absolutely hate the socket 775 CPU Heatsink push clip system, we just don't get on at all & I will never warm to it :D

I'm not into any of the sky scraper high rise coolers either!!!!!

I've used a Startech screw on version on all of the Dual Core systems I've built & have never had any trouble from them.
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=409R&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=startech+fan&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0#specifications

Would this Fan/Heatsink be OK to use with the Q6600?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

according to their site this is only suitible for intel p4's

http://www.startech.com/item-applications/FAN775-Intel-Socket-775-Heatsink-with-Fan.aspx

So i would say no, the Q6600 puts out some serious heat. even when midly overclocked on the best air coole ron the market it will hit 50c under load.

Anti wrote: »
    according to their site this is only suitible for intel p4's

http://www.startech.com/item-applications/FAN775-Intel-Socket-775-Heatsink-with-Fan.aspx

So i would say no, the Q6600 puts out some serious heat. even when midly overclocked on the best air coole ron the market it will hit 50c under load.

Yep I see that Anti but I have put them on 5 Dual Core 6750 chips in the last 12 months and most of them or transcoding & burning video on an almost constant basis without any trouble. They're all idling @ Approx 38c & I haven't noticed any of them going higher than 50c when flat out.

I think that the stock heatsink that comes with the Dual Core 6750 is exactly the same as the one that comes with Q6600

I'm not sure if the Starteh would suffice & that's why I asked the question so I'm not doubting your opinion either.

-

I have a B3 quad at 2.8Ghz, idles at 34-38 with a cheap 19 euro air cooler.

The stock cooler isn't that bad either.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338133
    They're all idling @ Approx 38c & I haven't noticed any of them going higher than 50c when flat out.

Well an idle of 38 for a Core 2 is relatively high with any sort of half decent cooler, that would probably translate to an idle of mid 40's with the quad. Although a lot of it is about how tolerable you are of higher temps - personally I couldn't give two craps as long as it's within operable levels, others want it to be as low as possible.

Your cooler will be fine, just not as good as other coolers. But your Q6600 will still be perfectly functional.

And yes on that note, I absolutely despise the push pin system - so incredibly annoying.

I have a B3 quad at 2.8Ghz, idles at 34-38 with a cheap 19 euro air cooler.

The stock cooler isn't that bad either.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338133

Well an idle of 38 for a Core 2 is relatively high with any sort of half decent cooler, that would probably translate to an idle of mid 40's with the quad. Although a lot of it is about how tolerable you are of higher temps - personally I couldn't give two craps as long as it's within operable levels, others want it to be as low as possible.

Your cooler will be fine, just not as good as other coolers. But your Q6600 will still be perfectly functional.

And yes on that note, I absolutely despise the push pin system - so incredibly annoying.

Oh! I hate that system with a passion. I've had boards that were almost banana shaped trying to get that last pin to lock, can always get the three in handy but never the last one & I've tried many.

I actually came across a machine recently where the CPU got fried because the cooler popped out on one pin & overheated without the person knowing.

I was with the individual the day he assembled it & it definitely was fully locked on all four pins. That's really why I'm using the Starteh's, It's not that I think they are better than the stock ones it's just the fact that you know for sure that it's not going to fall off or anything :)

Is there any really good (Normal sized) coolers for the 775 without that pin system?

I have a Dell Vostro with a Dual Core E6550 here at the minute with a stock cooler & it's idling @ 37 - 38 so I'm not too worried about the 6750's @ 38.

What would be the ideal idle for a 6750?

-

Like I said - personally I don't care what my temperatures are provided they're within the processors limits. So for me, the 'ideal' is simply the best that my cooler can give me, not what any other cooler can achieve. Idling at 38c is perfectly fine for a 6750, all I was saying was that with a half decent cooler, it'd idle at 27-28.

All the good coolers don't use the pin system, they use backing plates...I generally prefer the simply push pin as although it's not as good, it's far easier to swap out cpu's etc (which I do quite a lot)

Advertisement