Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE - Ambulance Mobile Phone Campaign

• 19-06-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39

Just saw this on the Meath Co. Co. website. Seems a great idea:
    Message from the Ambulance Service - ICE - In Case of Emergency Campaign

Date Released: 19 June 2008

Message from the Ambulance Service

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency). The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognised name for this purpose.
    In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as 'ICE'. Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards'> before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

Regards,
    Gerard Lane
    MA, FRCSEd.(A&E), FCEM, MRCGP(Dist.)
    Consultant in Emergency Medicine,
    Emergency Department,
    HSE West,
    Letterkenny General Hospital,
    Letterkenny
    Co. Donegal,
    Ireland.
    http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/NewsandEvents/Name,32115,en.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

slighlty flawed though. as if i have an ICE number along with the actual number when that person rings no name will appear because the contact is in the phone twice.

great idea though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

So what about "ICE - Dad" or "ICE - Mary" etc instead?

well why dont they just ring dad in the first place? or last dialed numbers? i could easily pick up any phone and see who i could ring in case of emergency

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Maybe dad mightn't be the person they'd want contacted in case of emergency? At any rate, I think it's a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

There isnt a dad contact in many phones, granted, alot of people have their dad in as dad, but not everyone i suppose!

• Advertisement

i do think its a good idea. but i reckon if i did not have it in my phone somebody will still get a phonecall saying that i was in an accident.

well if that was the case why cant we have a next of kin phone call attached to our PPS numbers? how hard would that be to implement. they already have a ton of info attached to them. so why not one more phone number or at least name of someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Martron wrote: »
    i do think its a good idea. but i reckon if i did not have it in my phone somebody will still get a phonecall saying that i was in an accident.

well if that was the case why cant we have a next of kin phone call attached to our PPS numbers? how hard would that be to implement. they already have a ton of info attached to them. so why not one more phone number or at least name of someone

Who carries their pps number with them, not many.
    Ice can be put in many times ICE1, Ice2
    If you were married would you want your Dad to be called or your partner, not many people put there partner in as WIFE or HUSBAND, its handy that way

Its a great idea, I tell every class I teach about it

yeah but a lot of people would have id. name and date of birth will pull up a pps number.

ok pick a number at random . now duplicate that number and edit the name to ice 1.

now for example you have mam and ice 1.

now the next time mam will ring only her number will appear and not her name as there is a duplicate number in the the phone wth 2 names! if like other countries we carried id cards that would sort everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I got a similar email about that around 3 years ago. Shows how quickly we are catching up :)

Advertisement