Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do women work harder than men?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

RT&#201 wrote:
    Women still do the bulk of housework despite a big rise in the number of women now in the paid workforce.

In fact, women work 39 minutes a day, or one month a year, more than men.

That is among the findings in a new report by the Economic and Social Research Institute.
    Advertisement

It discovered that while 37% of paid work is now done by women, they still do 72% of unpaid work, including housework and caring for younger and older family members.

The report calls for a review of statutory leave entitlements so that men can do more unpaid housework, including looking after children.

The Equality Authority, which commissioned the research, said its findings paint a depressing picture.

In comparison with the rest of Europe, it says Ireland is still very much at the traditional end of the spectrum.

The findings also point to disadvantage and inequality for women in society, the authority adds.

It says current statutory leave entitlements should be reviewed so men can be more involved at home.

It recommends that paid paternity and parental leave be introduced so men can more easily use their entitlements.

It also says State support for childcare needs to be increased, as this could reduce the amount of caring work done by women.
    Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0619/equality.html

So, is it true for those of you living with a man? Is it true in relationships you know of? Do you do 39 extra minutes, or more, or less?

Are you surprised?

Do women do more work than men? 23 votes

Yes (based on my experience as a woman living with a man)
    0% 0 votes
    Yes (based on my experience as a man living with a woman)
    34% 8 votes
    Yes (in general, not based on my own experience)
    13% 3 votes
    No (based on my experience as a woman living with a man)
    21% 5 votes
    No (based on my experience as a man living with a woman)
    8% 2 votes
    No (in general, not based on my own experience)
    21% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Just another statistic , how could they possibly know who does what in any home ? I know the sterotypical irishman used to lil or nothing around the house but i think times have changed since those days or have they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

3 guys and 2 girls in my family. we all have to work at the same time, therefore our house has more man minutes of work than woman minutes!

Argument is flawed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

yesthey do, i'm a lazy sod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Yeah I love how they come out with such random statistics.

In my house men do the least amount possible. Aparently their work day ends at 6 on a weekday and they do nothing on the weekend, head wrecking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some people ,men and women can walk into a room thats a complete mess sit down for hrs and not let it bother them .I would have to clean the mess up before i can relax properly

.Perhaps it's my feminine side coming out , ooooooh ;)

% wise , i would say i do at least 40% of the housework over the year.

That does not include diy ,painting decorating and gardening work .Would do even more if i spent less time on net .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Also I think they'd need to take every individual and assess how much actual working time as opposed to break/chat/internet surfing/etc... time is involved in their day, no offence ladies, but in my 3 jobs to date I've always found the females to be, in general, less industrious within the workplace. I hope this is just the places I've worked though and not actually a near universal truth.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Nah I think it depends....some men are lazy sods as are some women. I don't live with my boyfriend but his Mother makes him do lots around the house when he's there, she's my hero :D It's all how you're raised, my brother can barely boil an egg because my Mother has done everything for him. I'd say in general it's probably pretty even, I think men these days are getting better at housework compared to years ago when it was the woman's job.

Roll on the backlash from all the women on here that have to do everything! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Cathooo wrote: »
    Yeah I love how they come out with such random statistics.

As that is my day job this kind of article is honestly enough to make me ****ing cry.

• Moderators Posts: 51,774 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Off the the top of my head, I can think of 1 woman who proves that statement and 1 that disproves.

The first woman works longer hours than me and has a second job.
    The second doesn't work. And she also doesn't do house work. Her working boyfriend does it.

Really depends on what group of women you compare to men, and the group of men you compare them with.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    Off the the top of my head, I can think of 1 woman who proves that statement and 1 that disproves.

The first woman works longer hours than me and has a second job.
    The second doesn't work. And she also doesn't do house work. Her working boyfriend does it.

Really depends on what group of women you compare to men, and the group of men you compare them with.

Exactly. We all went away in a group a few years back to a house in the countryside of France and myself and one of the other lads always ended up cooking and cleaning up in the house cos the girls just drank all day, sunbathed and watched SATC :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In professional terms I work a lot harder and put in longer days than my OH.

At home she does the majority of cleaning mainly because I am prepared to live in a bit of dirt :D I usually hoover and wash the floors and do the ironing.

Also I do the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

At home I do all of the houseowrk..thats because Im single..when I was living with someone, I did the bulk..most of it (Yes, I complained but secretly loved it because it would never be done "my way")

Only time I used to be annoyed was when I was out all day at work or whatever and I get home to a place that looked liek it had been burgled and prickface was in bed..couldnt be arsed to do the fecking dishes.

At work, I work pretty hard, but I send personal emails and surf a little bit, so could work harder..cant comment on the the boys, because I wouldnt know.

Im sure they would say they do

All lies, do not believe a word!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I dont think it depends on the sex of the person, It just depends on the person.

Some people are lazy and some people aren't.

Advertisement