Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Belgard Road bus lane

Options
  • 19-06-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My wife uses the Belgard road every day (Tallaght to Newlands cross) at 5 - 5.30pm, and occasionally I have to. As some of you will know there are two main lanes and one bus lane. Now for as long as I can remember nearly everybody going left at Newlands (N7 westbound) uses the bus lane. (The bus lane may in fact have been out of operation for a while). Those that remain in the main two lanes all the way to the bottom and then try to squeeze into the lane going left I'm sure would say that they are in the right, altho some will argue that they should join the other lane like everyone else). It should be noted that the two main lanes generally move faster.

My wife said that they other day the Gardai were pulling people in the bus lane and giving tickets. The next day, no Guards, and the bus lane is back clogged up again.

My question is what is the smartest approach here - use the bus lane as per most other people, or stay in the main lanes and try to force your way in near the bottom (not alway guaranteed that you will be able to do this)?
    I know there will be a lot of responses saying legally you should not be in the bus lane, but what would you do practically? (sorry bit long winded)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any time I use it, I do the bus lane. People won't let you in near the top because they feel you've "skipped" them by being in the faster moving traffic lanes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I use this lane too but I stay in the proper lane until the static queue of traffic in the bus lane is visible IYSWIM? That way I'm not actually driving down the bus lane but just joining the left turning lane at the back of the queue.

Maybe the guards were pulling those over that were actually using the bus lane as a traffic lane rather than those sitting in a queue indicating left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I use this lane too but I stay in the proper lane until the static queue of traffic in the bus lane is visible IYSWIM? That way I'm not actually driving down the bus lane but just joining the left turning lane at the back of the queue.

Maybe the guards were pulling those over that were actually using the bus lane as a traffic lane rather than those sitting in a queue indicating left?

I dont think so as in general the bus lane is slower, so if you are not turning left you wouldnt use it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah i use this road everyday, the guards do this on a tri-monthly basis. Its and attempt to get people not to use the bus lane as the left turning lane onto the naas road, which is fair enough. Its an awfully badly designed junction. Realistically they need to dig up the corner and make the lane a free flow onto the Naas Road because traffic is horrendous here. I still use the bus lane, worked so far just gotta keep the eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah i use this road everyday, the guards do this on a tri-monthly basis. Its and attempt to get people not to use the bus lane as the left turning lane onto the naas road, which is fair enough. Its an awfully badly designed junction. Realistically they need to dig up the corner and make the lane a free flow onto the Naas Road because traffic is horrendous here. I still use the bus lane, worked so far just gotta keep the eyes peeled.

Yeah I think thats the approach - its a right pain that such a small change to the junction would have such a beneficial impact and they haven't done it. Anyway roll on 2 years of pain as they create the over/under junction at Newlands cross

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

TheBazman wrote: »
    Yeah I think thats the approach - its a right pain that such a small change to the junction would have such a beneficial impact and they haven't done it. Anyway roll on 2 years of pain as they create the over/under junction at Newlands cross

The council strikes again!

What passes for "traffic engineering" is beyond me, worse they insist on Gardai wasting their time and your money by policing it.

I would suggest direct action with a mass takeover of the bus lane until the fools get their act together and resolve the issue for motorists!

Advertisement