Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so...im thinking of moving from mac back to pc!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

portomar wrote: »
    WHY IS THIS SO HARD? my mac is about 2 months old, and i didnt have the option to buy it with my unit.

Where did you buy the MacPro ? The Apple Store offers the Airport card as an option as posted above.
    . . . im about ready to throw the thing out the window.

. . . and your address is . . . . :D

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

so it doesnt just work? unlucky , at least with a pc you can hack mostly everything to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Eh, for what it's worth, there are a bunch of internal PCI cards that are meant for PCs that "just work" with Macs. I'm typing this on a PowerMac G5 (the pre-Intel equivalent of your box, same honkin' big aluminium case and so on) and I'm using a Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 I picked up a while back in PC World which (though it says *absolutely nothing* about Macintosh compatibility - in fact, I originally bought it for a PC) works perfectly, with no need for drivers or anything - I think it's very very similar to the hardware in the actual Airport cards. I think anything else that uses the same (Broadcom BCM[9]4306) chipset will "just work" too, which would also include Belkin's F5D7010 and the revision 1 of Linksys' WMP54G (as it has the right chipset)

If you fail to find a compatible wireless card, then just get one of those games console wireless adaptors and plug it into your GigE port. That'll work too.
    [edit]Sad Professor has said this already, sorry[/edit]

Hope this helps,
    Gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Ditto with Realtek NICs, Firewire and USB PCI cards. I also have a Broadcom based Belkin F5D7000 WNIC that works too.

ZEN

Advertisement