Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin 21st June

Options
  • 19-06-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Who fancies it then, 10am from Harolds Cross Dog Track, 10:15 from Dundrum.

Everyone welcome, pace will be slow as i'm off to the dogs with work tommorrow, so if you've not been out in before, come on and give it a go (I'm lookin at the ladies in particular ;)) -sure it's all a bit o craic, and the more the merrier!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

what sort of route do you have planned ? i am off for a change on Saturday so just might go for the spin....as long as its a relative pace that is..only starting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    what sort of route do you have planned ? i am off for a change on Saturday so just might go for the spin....as long as its a relative pace that is..only starting
    I might come along. My spin group also meet at Dundrum at 10.00 but since I am leaving from Blancharstown...Your meeting point is closer to me ... a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I might come along. My spin group also meet at Dundrum at 10.00 but since I am leaving from Blancharstown...Your meeting point is closer to me ... a bit.

Hurrah! See you there then :)

BUACHAILL, we generally take it our to Enniskerry, and then decide from there, some turn off and head for home, others push on over Sally Gap etc, it depends who's out and who feels ready for what

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm wavering between staying in Dublin or trying this Clonmel 300 - would be on for a bit of distance if I'm up in Dublin this weekend ;-)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm in. Still a bit bunged up at the moment, so probably won't be picking up any King of the Mountains points. More likely to be out the back enduring a total phlegmfest.

Forecast isn't great.
    Saturday morning will be mostly dry and bright through Connaught and Ulster and in some places further south as well but rain will become widespread in southern areas during the morning and extend to all areas later in the day. The rain will be persistent and heavy in places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    I'm wavering between staying in Dublin or trying this Clonmel 300 - would be on for a bit of distance if I'm up in Dublin this weekend ;-)

If you're around, come along. I'm sure there'll be some takers if you want to head on further than most.

Hurrah!

Well, we'll see what you think when you guys are up on that hill ... and I am at the bottom. I need good practice on hills for the Sean Kelly tour. I received my reg number yesterday ... I am very motivated but just 2 months to get my arse trained on cat 1 climb which I have never done...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »
    If you're around, come along. I'm sure there'll be some takers if you want to head on further than most.
    That forecast you posted doesn't encourage me to head down to Clonmel ;-) I think I'll probably stay up- have something Satuday night that I would have had to skip if I went to Clonmel. Boards 200 anyone?

Well, we'll see what you think when you guys are up on that hill ... and I am at the bottom. I need good practice on hills for the Sean Kelly tour. I received my reg number yesterday ... I am very motivated but just 2 months to get my arse trained on cat 1 climb which I have never done...

I can say with some confidence that you will probably be ahead of me -climbing was never my strong point!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'll be there, weather permitting. Slow pace suits me at the moment, my knees are a bit dodgy.

• Advertisement

I am no good... but I am planning to get out there in the WW every second evening starting after my resit exam next week. My goal is Interval training in the Park ( like I do at the moment ) one day, WW the next ...

ok i should be there but as a beginner so go gentle, i dont suppose any of you guys were out this morning cycling in Bray heading to Kilmac?, saw a group of about 6 as i was coming up to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I'm talking myself round to joining you on Saturday. Until I invest in a proper roadie it's the Langster, fixed, with front brake only, but even if I manage the intial climbs I can head back at my own (brake pumping, knee staggering) pace.

TinyExplosions, you did your first spins on the fixie...what are my chances?:)

unionman wrote: »

Certainly up as far as Enniskerry is fine, albeit a lil annoying on the downhill, after there it gets tougher, but still doable -after all, someone did the 200 on a fixie!

I'm talking myself round to joining you on Saturday. Until I invest in a proper roadie it's the Langster, fixed, with front brake only, but even if I manage the intial climbs I can head back at my own (brake pumping, knee staggering) pace.

Have you got a flip/flop rear hub that you can switch it to single speed? If not, I'd only go as far as the top of the Scalp. After that it could get a bit hairy if you're on a fixie.

Certainly up as far as Enniskerry is fine, albeit a lil annoying on the downhill, after there it gets tougher, but still doable -after all, someone did the 200 on a fixie!

I can live with the downhill, even if it means dropping back. About how long does it take to get up there?

The 200 on a fixie? Without titanium fitted knee caps and body armour? brave.

el tonto wrote: »
    Have you got a flip/flop rear hub that you can switch it to single speed? If not, I'd only go as far as the top of the Scalp. After that it could get a bit hairy if you're on a fixie.

The flip flop is banjaxed (and the rear brake is stripped), so it's not an option. I'm keen to join a group spin though, never did it before and I'm saving up for a roadie, so this should act as an extra incentive.

I can live with the downhill, even if it means dropping back. About how long does it take to get up there?

The 200 on a fixie? Without titanium fitted knee caps and body armour? brave.

About an hour, give or take (it's 20k or so). THe downhill is a lil hairy, but is *ok*... you're free to use my single speed if you'd prefer though sir, you're just around the corner after all

THe downhill is a lil hairy, but is *ok*...

Also, bear in mind you've got to go back up it again if you're turning back at Enniskerry.

About an hour, give or take (it's 20k or so). THe downhill is a lil hairy, but is *ok*... you're free to use my single speed if you'd prefer though sir, you're just around the corner after all

That's fair decent of you sir and no mistake. I'd be willing to give that a go. My only thought is, as you are quite a bit taller than me, what size is your bike?

I could meet you at yours around 9.45? Leave mine there if it works out and swap back in the afternoon?

• Advertisement

That's fair decent of you sir and no mistake. I'd be willing to give that a go. My only thought is, as you are quite a bit taller than me, what size is your bike?

I could meet you at yours around 9.45? Leave mine there if it works out and swap back in the afternoon?

Make it 9.30, and we'll sort it out somehow... can't remember what size mine is, but can drop the saddle... or if you feel really adventurous, you can just take my rear wheel and go single speed on your langster with one brake!

Where abouts do you guys meet again ... ? thx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm out this week, it's my grans' funeral on Saturday morning :(
    Maybe ye could manage a little nod towards the church in Dundrum as ye go past, cos thats where she'll be :(

Make it 9.30, and we'll sort it out somehow... can't remember what size mine is, but can drop the saddle... or if you feel really adventurous, you can just take my rear wheel and go single speed on your langster with one brake!

Grand job, 9.30 and we'll figure it from there! Many thanks again.

Where abouts do you guys meet again ... ? thx

Under the luas bridge in Dundrum at 10:15, or at Harolds Cross Dog Track at 10 (it's on Harolds Cross Road, can't miss it)

kenmc wrote: »
    I'm out this week, it's my grans' funeral on Saturday morning :(
    Maybe ye could manage a little nod towards the church in Dundrum as ye go past, cos thats where she'll be :(

Very sorry to hear that sir, you have my deepest sympathies.

I prefer to go to Harrolds cross :) closer - thx

my deepest sympathies to you also mate

Very sorry for your loss kenmc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Sorry for your loss ken

Advertisement