Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unacceptable age to wear stuff?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

Hey girls, in your opinion, what is the age limit to wearing a short skirt/dress without getting into the mutton dressed as lamb territory??

Also runners as day shoes? With nice jeans and stuff..I wear kinda runner/shoes (cant explain them) and I often wonder if I should give up wearing runners, for fear of looking like a teenager? I dont think Ill ever grow out of them!

Whats the general opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

You wear your runners with pride! I often see older ladies in runners, I don't think there's an age limit. They're nice and comfy and they look fine, nada wrong with it.

Different story with short skirts though....depends on the figure but I couldn't imagine wearing a short skirt after 35ish maybe? Even if an older lady has a wonderful figure I still think it just looks wrong when they wear skimpy clothes...probably not very fair of me but that's the way I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Women in their 30s+ and pink tracksuits is a No No. Actually, Women of any age wearing any tracksuits other than for their purpose is also a no No from me. That goes for men too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I agree with the 30+ wearing tracksuits, esp with something written on the arse!:D

Clarebear - I think she same re the short skirt, I just think Liz McDonald!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Gee. I cant wear a short skirt now. Damn. Never had the legs for it anyway but terrible to be too old now.

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
    with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
    and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    and run my stick along the public railings
    and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
    and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    or only bread and pickles for a week
    and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    and pay our rent and not swear in the street
    and set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
    But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

God sometimes the age matters, mostly people are fine once they dress to suit their shape.
    But I agree about the arse advertising too.

• Advertisement

LadyE wrote: »
    Clarebear - I think she same re the short skirt, I just think Liz McDonald!

Oh the horror! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Mini skirts are a no-no for older women. Skirts in general are for all women imo. So long as it is done tastefully. If you are going to do skirt, then there should be no boobage I think.

There is only a small percentage of women that can pull off anything with a leopard print. Im certainly not one of them.

Unless they are working out; older men and women in track-suits just look plain creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I think it's more aesthetics than ageism - some chicks can pull off a shorter skirt at 50 and some can't at 18.

To me the only thing that definitely does not go with age is deliberately "dishevelled" look (messy hair, laces loose, garments flying around), a teenager may be fresh enough to pull it off but after 30 you only look pitiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Speaking as a 43 y/o guy, and interested in women of my own age, the mutton/lamb issue is sorta relevant.

So for me, the rules for women of 40 and over, in no particular order, are:

No UGG boots
    No Ass-Writing
    No Tracksuits
    No visible muffin-top - I'm not fat-ist - In fact I love curvy girls, but you don't have to display the wobbly spillage over the tops of overtight jeans etc.
    No tramp-stamps, i.e. those crap tattoos at the base of the spine
    No Nose piercings - in fact any piercing other than ears shouldn't be visible while dressed :eek:
    No plastic breasts
    No ultra low-rise jeans with whale tail/g-string showing
    No mini skirts

Sneakers/runners etc are absolutely fine so long as they're not day-glo versions of the very latest Rapper endorsed label...

Here are some fine examples of how NOT to attire your person...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malingering/collections/72157600000302568/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

milod wrote: »
    So for me, the rules for women of 40 and over, in no particular order, are:

You could be me. But I wouldn't restrict myself to over 40 age group only!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

tbh once you wear items that fit you properly, are clean and simple colours/stlyes that suit your size you can wear items at any age
    Though the auld halter neck without a bra past 40 is begging for a bicycle if you are well endowned in the chestal area

The only big no no Id see is things that simply dont fit, but Id apply that to all ages. Ive seen older women wear styles that they 'shouldnt' and pull it off, it depends on the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

I'm actually more concerned with lambs dressing as mutton.
    We have eight year olds wearing bra tops and mini skirts.
    A worrying look.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

WindSock wrote: »
    Women in their 30s+ and pink tracksuits is a No No. Actually, Women of any age wearing any tracksuits other than for their purpose is also a no No from me. That goes for men too.

err.... i am 30+ and dont see a problem wearing tracksuits, its better then walking to the shops in my pj's
    :confused:

irishbird wrote: »
    err.... i am 30+ and dont see a problem wearing tracksuits, its better then walking to the shops in my pj's
    :confused:

Marginally better... but if the tracksuit is made of a Velour or crushed-velvet like material it's a problem, at any age...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

If you have got fairly decent pins, a skirt is ok in the 30's.

Trackies too but not the school run type - hanging halfway down their arses and puke etc all over em..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm must tell my mum to stop wearing her tracksuit too :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Clare Bear wrote: »
    You wear your runners with pride! I often see older ladies in runners, I don't think there's an age limit. They're nice and comfy and they look fine, nada wrong with it.

Different story with short skirts though....depends on the figure but I couldn't imagine wearing a short skirt after 35ish maybe? Even if an older lady has a wonderful figure I still think it just looks wrong when they wear skimpy clothes...probably not very fair of me but that's the way I think.

I bought a lovely minidress in Ibiza. Its really for beach or pool but next year when I am old and will look ridiculous wearing it then I'll pass it on to you.:p

Karen_* wrote: »
    I bought a lovely minidress in Ibiza. Its really for beach or pool but next year when I am old and will look ridiculous wearing it then I'll pass it on to you.:p

Let's not be too hasty here, pictures please - we sometimes make exceptions...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Oh if you insist Milod :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

a skirt is ok in the 30's, Trackies too
    irishbird wrote: »
    hmmm must tell my mum to stop wearing her tracksuit too :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Oh if you insist Milod :D

:D:D:D

I'm actually more concerned with lambs dressing as mutton.
    We have eight year olds wearing bra tops and mini skirts.
    A worrying look.
    Im sure I saw those bloody bra tops for even younger ages in Dunnes.

And you get Lelli Kellie shoes with makeup kits. Seems a bit young to me.

I love velour and leopard print...if I could find the two properties on one material...I would collaspe with excitement.

I was hoping that the older I get the more acceptable this sense of style would become.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

You should wear whatever you want as long as you feel good in it and you think it looks good.:) I'm 28 but my mum keeps referring to me as being 30 and telling me not to dress too young! She's the only person who seems to have an issue with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Well, I am 34 and I fully intend on continuing wearing mini-skirts into my 40's at the very least. My legs are one of my best features and I like showing them off. As long as you have the figure for them I do not see any harm in wearing them (I should state that I do not look my age).

You're an exception, ya roide! ;) Ya better wear it tomorrow night now or I'll be very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

YAWN... Once again, caving in to sexist, ageist sh1t against women - by women. It's amazing the way guys get all the grief for scrutinising women's appearance. Utter bollocks. It's women who do it far more.

Here's an idea: what about just wearing whatever you WANT to wear if it looks good on you, and forgetting about your age? It's a number - get over it. Also, to those who say "bla bla shouldn't be worn by women at x age": women can look different at the same age, so (a) how can you make such a generalisation and (b) how would you know what age she is? Are you saying if you saw a 40-year-old woman who was wearing a short skirt and looked fantastic you'd still feel "she shouldn't wear that at her age" just because she's 40? Or if you had no idea what age she was and thought she looked fab and then someone informed you she was 40, would you suddenly take a "turn" against what she's wearing? Even though this new knowledge of her age doesn't make any difference to the woman you see before you?
    If a woman has a fabulous bod and legs at fuking 60, she has every right to wear a mini-skirt and not be judged for it... but of course she will be - by women. Oh such sisterhood! :rolleyes:

And to think, if there was no such thing as ages/dates of birth, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    Carol Vorderman is a good example - when she was in her 20s and 30s she was constantly maligned for being "dowdy", then when she was around the 40 mark she overhauled her image and became a lot foxier. Verdict? Stunning. But oh no, she had to be ripped into because "that's not right for a woman of her age". But eh... she looked fantastic, so what's the problem?

And this "women in their 30s" crap - that's an entire decade you're talking about, could you not be more specific?

I'm 30 and have good legs and ass and tiny hips - oh but I'd better not dress in a way to embrace them... because of my date of birth. And I'm in my 30s. My cousin is 33 and a statuesque blonde, but no fitted clothes for her - she's a mother now dontcha know. My best mate is 30 and looks about 18 but it doesn't matter if she looks young... she's in her 30s!

But a lard-arse 16-year-old can wear short skirts no prob... because she's 16.

What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If you have got fairly decent pins, a skirt is ok in the 30's.
    Er... thanks. I notice you didn't even say "mini-skirts", just "skirts". Actually my mum's 61 and has great legs and wears skirts, which look fantastic on her.
    And certain tracksuits are rotten no matter what age you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I saw a woman in town today with fake tan and blech blonde hair and make up caked on with neon pink eye shadow.she was wearing a white light jacket a yellow top under neath neon pink jeans with yellow leg warmers andwhite runners.its a bit fairy on acid but its what me or my friends would wear but this woan looked to be in her late 30 if not 40's and it looked ridiculos!

Advertisement