Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unacceptable age to wear stuff?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Dudess wrote: »
    Er... thanks. I notice you didn't even say "mini-skirts", just "skirts". Actually my mum's 61 and has great legs and wears skirts, which look fantastic on her.
    And certain tracksuits are rotten no matter what age you are.

Ok i meant a short skirt / mini. It's really what a person is comfortable with at the end of the day. Who care's what people think. If my legs are the way they are now in my forties I will wear a short skirt.

I was out on Sunday for a few drinks watching a great band and there was a woman in her fifties - classy chick with a short skirt and Jacket and she looked amazing. She oozed something and everyone was looking at her, (my dad's gob was open the whole time) I think because she was so happy in herself and really enjoying herself she attracted people young and old. Its really about whats going on inside and it show's on the outside..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

YAWN... Once again, caving in to sexist, ageist sh1t against women - by women. It's amazing the way guys get all the grief for scrutinising women's appearance. Utter bollocks. It's women who do it far more.

Here's an idea: what about just wearing whatever you WANT to wear if it looks good on you, and forgetting about your age? It's a number - get over it. Also, to those who say "bla bla shouldn't be worn by women at x age": women can look different at the same age, so (a) how can you make such a generalisation and (b) how would you know what age she is? Are you saying if you saw a 40-year-old woman who was wearing a short skirt and looked fantastic you'd still feel "she shouldn't wear that at her age" just because she's 40? Or if you had no idea what age she was and thought she looked fab and then someone informed you she was 40, would you suddenly take a turn against what she's wearing? Even though this new knowledge of her age doesn't make any difference to the women you see before you?
    If a woman has a fabulous bod and legs at fuking 60, she has every right to wear a mini-skirt and not be judged for it... but of course she will be - by women. Oh such sisterhood! :rolleyes:

And to think, if there was no such thing as ages/dates of birth, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    Carol Vorderman is a good example - when she was in her 20s and 30s she was constantly maligned for being "dowdy", then when she was around the 40 mark she overhauled her image and became a lot foxier. Verdict? Stunning. But oh no, she had to be ripped into because "that's not right for a woman of her age". But eh... she looked fantastic, so what's the problem?

And this "women in their 30s crap" - that's an entire decade you're talking about, could you not be more specific?

I'm 30 and have good legs and ass and tiny hips - oh but I'd better not dress in a way to embrace them... because of my date of birth. And I'm in my 30s. My cousin is 33 and a statuesque blonde, but no fitted clothes for her - she's a mother now dontcha know. My best mate is 30 and looks about 18 but it doesn't matter if she looks young... she's in her 30s!

But a lard-arse 16-year-old can wear short skirts no prob... because she's 16.

What a joke.

Deep breaths Dudess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am also a firm believer in... If you feel good in it, wear it. There is not right or wrong about it.

But personally....I hate two things on women of any age..

No 1 Dungarees

No 2 White Knee high boots..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, body shape is the most important factor when it comes to dressing ourselves.
    Of course it would be inaccurate to say age doesn't come into it at all - e.g. a 25-year-old wearing a mauve suit with a blouse and pearls, and I don't think Madonna's look at the moment suits her. That does not mean I think she should be stocking up on cardigans and tweed skirts, she can still look fantastically sexy at 50 - it's just the teenage outfits really don't suit her imo.

My point though is it's how things look, it's not the date of birth of the person wearing them.
    I saw a woman in town today with fake tan and blech blonde hair and make up caked on with neon pink eye shadow.she was wearing a white light jacket a yellow top under neath neon pink jeans with yellow leg warmers andwhite runners.its a bit fairy on acid but its what me or my friends would wear but this woan looked to be in her late 30 if not 40's and it looked ridiculos!
    Sounds ridiculous no matter what age.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

YAWN... Once again, caving in to sexist, ageist sh1t against women - by women. It's amazing the way guys get all the grief for scrutinising women's appearance. Utter bollocks. It's women who do it far more.
    + 1,000000000000 etc. Women are far more judgemental of other women than men ever are. That's why men face the dilemma when asked "does my bum look big in this?". We're not the intended audience, it's actually other women and perceived competition with same. And that's why it's an unanswerable question if one is in possession of a willy.
    Here's an idea: what about just wearing whatever you WANT to wear if it looks good on you, and forgetting about your age?
    Exactly. If it looks good on you, wear it. If it doesn't don't. Simple as. Off the top of my head, I can think of two women in their late 30's who have far better legs and arse than a lot of women in their early 20's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Deep breaths Dudess :D
    LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

My mum is nearly 50 actually she turned 49 yesterday:D but she's got the hottest legs ever(she obviously doesn't wear short skirts). Been walking on the streets and men have stopped to chat her up:mad:

That said i don't think there is an age to stop showing your legs as long as it's decent.
    Personally i do wear short skirts and dresses but am 23, although these days i tend to dress matured, casual/classy(i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Here's something likely to traumatise some of the more strongly oppinionated on this topic, half the time when I look at a female (or male for that matter) for all I can tell they could be anywhere in around the 20-40 age range, heck maybe older if they took care of themselves, maybe younger if they just ditched the teenage trends early. Seriously, how often do you look at a person and instantly know what age they are? We can guess but that's all it is, a guess. I continued to get carded for films rated 18 up until I was 23.

Regardless of gender or age, as long as the clothes fit & don't unveil anything ghastly (whether it be fat rolls, beer bellies, heavily wrinkled skin, back hair, etc...) who cares. I'm sorry to say this to you, since quite a few seem dead set against it, but girls who wear trainers & tracksuits actually gain a little of my respect for shirking fashion for the sake of practical comfort, so as long as they don't look like complete slobs (in that they/their clothes are in need of a wash) I don't see anything wrong with it. Surely the people male and female who wear jeans so poorly fitting that they have to keep pulling them up and still spend half the day showing the world their underwear are worse than someone who simply dresses for comfort?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Physical fitness has a lot to do with what you can wear. If you eat healthy, workout daily, limit the booze, don't smoke or do drugs, some women can appear several years younger and wear that generation's clothes. Then again, if a late teen or early 20 lets herself go, so does her attractiveness, no matter what she wears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Clare Bear wrote: »
    You're an exception, ya roide! ;) Ya better wear it tomorrow night now or I'll be very disappointed.

Yes I will indeed. The world needs to see the treetrunk look:D I might lash a blue rinse into the gruaig since its a special occasion:p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm, i reckon most of the people who are post here are nowhere near 30. so i would say to you come back and post here, in this thread when you are 32.

Also most of you appear to worship the SATC Characters, if i am not mistaken they are all over the age of 40 and from what i have seen they wear a lot of skirts and see through tops

irishbird wrote: »
    Also most of you appear to worship the SATC Characters, if i am not mistaken they are all over the age of 40 and from what i have seen they wear a lot of shirts and see through tops
    ... and look great.

hmmm, i reckon most of the people who are post here are nowhere near 30. so i would say to you come back and post here, in this thread when you are 32.
    very true am 23.... so long way to go:D
    Also most of you appear to worship the SATC Characters, if i am not mistaken they are all over the age of 40 and from what i have seen they wear a lot of shirts and see through tops

I watched SATC, i like the girls but i don't follow their fashion style... I actually am my own person.
    tbh the SATC ladies are hot at 40+ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Dudess, I almost agreed with you til I saw exactly what you are saying.

"It's ok for women to wear what they like as long as they have the body for it."

Uh? Your own philosophy is kind of defeated by your body fascism.

Personally I'd just stop with "It's ok for women to wear what they like."

Fat, thin, short, tall, wear what makes you happy. Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

farohar wrote: »
    Here's something likely to traumatise some of the more strongly oppinionated on this topic, half the time when I look at a female (or male for that matter) for all I can tell they could be anywhere in around the 20-40 age range, heck maybe older if they took care of themselves, maybe younger if they just ditched the teenage trends early. Seriously, how often do you look at a person and instantly know what age they are? We can guess but that's all it is, a guess. I continued to get carded for films rated 18 up until I was 23.

So true. Something my dad says a lot is that when faced with women between the ages of 20-40, in a lot of cases he'd be hard pushed to estimate their ages! There are people in their forties with terrific skin and less wrinkles than some girls in their twenties, it varies from individual to individual. Personally, I subscribe to the "age is irrelevant" category....it depends on the person, their body shape, confidence. I see women in their 50s and 60s about town who exude the kind of class and style that I wish I knew how to express at 20!

Dudess, I almost agreed with you til I saw exactly what you are saying.

"It's ok for women to wear what they like as long as they have the body for it."

Uh? Your own philosophy is kind of defeated by your body fascism.

Personally I'd just stop with "It's ok for women to wear what they like."

Fat, thin, short, tall, wear what makes you happy. Who cares?
    Well we are talking about how the outfit looks and it's not gonna look good if it doesn't suit your body shape, but yeah, I agree, anyone can wear what they want.

Sure, I mean obviously, I think women look their best when they wear the styles that suit them, so we would probably agree on what looks best on whom.

But I personally would view women such as the over-40s SATC crowd as poor role models...the pressure to be stick-thin and look 15 years your junior is high...whereas the older women whom I admire most are those of immense character...

Don't get me wrong, I like clothes: I just like women more than I like the clothes on their bodies.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    very true am 23.... so long way to go:D
    At 30, I really don't look much different to when I was 23. A lot of the "ageing" we claim to experience is in our heads simply due to awareness of what age we are.
    And you're black aren't you? Ever heard the saying "black don't crack"? Black skin ages more slowly than white skin. Hence, Denzel is still looking like quite a young man and oh so fine, despite being in his 50s.

And neuro-praxis, I'm hardly guilty of "body fascism" just because I say clothes look better when suited to the body shape...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I saw a woman in town today with fake tan and blech blonde hair and make up caked on with neon pink eye shadow.she was wearing a white light jacket a yellow top under neath neon pink jeans with yellow leg warmers andwhite runners.its a bit fairy on acid but its what me or my friends would wear but this woan looked to be in her late 30 if not 40's and it looked ridiculos!

To be honest, that outfit sounds as though it would be hideous on anyone no matter their age.

And neuro-praxis, I'm hardly guilty of "body fascism" just because I say clothes look better when suited to the body shape...

That's not why I mentioned body-fascism. It was your mention of a lard-arsed 16 year old that did actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Some people (of all ages) will wear outfits that are ridiculous and unbecoming. Ever notice the number of gracefully ageing continental women who wear really beautiful, trendy outfits that show off their figure? If you are a canny dresser you can adapt any look to suit your style and attributes. Tbh I find that when obviously older ladies wear fashions aimed at the early 20s age group it doesn't always do them justice. The slave to fashion approach where whatever is in is on gets much harder to pull off as people get older. Minis are great on great legs, but depending on the style the mini that a 16 year old would wear well is typically not what would suit a lady in her 40s with great legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Has anyone else seen this painful movie 'I could never be your woman'. It was on during a long haul flight I took last week. It stars Michelle Pfeiffer moaning about how she's too old for this or that. She just goes on and on about how shes past her sell by date, too old to wear short skirts, too old to date a younger man. Honestly the whole film was awful awful.
    Saoirse Ronan is in it too, and I felt sorry for her that she was in such a cr4p film after being so brilliant in Atonement. Hollywood and the media have a lot to answer for in this whole question.

As well as all that, I think it is true to say that women are more concerned about other women's judgement of their appearance than men's.

I'm totally rambling here but I believe any woman should be able to wear whatever she likes without fear of censure from others. Of course we all judge each other by appearance, but to condemn someone as fitting into the 'mutton dressed as lamb' category even if they look well is just stupid. There are no rules about what one can wear at a certain age and neither should there be.

(I agree about the lamb dressed as mutton being much more disturbing too)

Oh yeah, Michelle Pfeiffer would look really terrible if she wore a short skirt :rolleyes:

Of course middle-aged women wearing teenage style clothes often doesn't look good (e.g. Madonna at the moment) but what's galling is the attitude of "Oh I/she can't wear that, I'm/she's too old" - not "I/she can't wear that because it doesn't look good on me/her". This notion that restrictions need to be put in place simply because of a date of birth... even if the outfit actually would look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Some people (of all ages) will wear outfits that are ridiculous and unbecoming....

this is true, for example...

1501219532_fdfe167391.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I've an old leather satchel in better shape that this lady's skin...

I mean she's kept herself in shape, and fair dues to her, but if was yore own ma...?

2268379496_68e421e266_b_d.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sorry but fair ****s to that woman - if my body looked half as good, i would be laughing

At 30, I really don't look much different to when I was 23. A lot of the "ageing" we claim to experience is in our heads simply due to awareness of what age we are.
    And you're black aren't you? Ever heard the saying "black don't crack"? Black skin ages more slowly than white skin. Hence, Denzel is still looking like quite a young man and oh so fine, despite being in his 50s.

Saw pics of my mum, and at 49 she has no lines:cool: She looks 35 for a 49 yr old so i should be fine :D

i really hope i have all her genes

sorry but fair ****s to that woman - if my body looked half as good, i would be laughing
    Yep. She looks a hell of a lot better than the girl who's half her age, if not less, in the pic above her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Im with Dudess and Irishbird on this one too. I'd rather look like the aul girl than oreo-árse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

for wearing short skirts and low cut tops i stopped when i was bout 26/27. guess maybe cause it was the time i stopped wanting to pull all the time. just grew tired of it and i then found my OH. as for wearing runners during the day that will never go out of fashion. i always wear mine. god i can't live without them.

Advertisement