Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The free state army mutiny 1924

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siniman

Thank you so much for that! No sign of him! Will keep going with my research and i will send on that other document when i get it. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Liam O Meara

I have only been using boards now for a short while and have just come across the thread. My great uncle was Vinny Byrne who was the last surviving member of the Squad. He took part in the Mutiny of '24.

They took over a building in Parnell Square, which was later used as the meeting house for the 1916-21 club, which he was also the chairman of. His main reason and many of the others who took part was because of the then government, especially Kevin O'Higgins trying to forge closer links to England even going as close as changing the Tricolour as our flag to the blue and gold harped flag of St. Patrick.

If anybody had relatives that were involved in the times and wants to know if they took part in the Mutiny, I have a clipping from a newspaper at the time that gives a full list of the men who resigned their commision form the army after the Mutiny.

It's great to see so many people interested in our history. History in this country has often been swept under the carpet to keep other people happy. I don't think that history is thought as much in schools now as it should be. History has made the world what it is today, good or bad.
    Hi two questions. Have you heard of William Fitzgerald of free state army? Have you or anyone on here any photo of funeral cortage comdt Tom Keogh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Have you or anyone on here any photo of funeral cortage comdt Tom Keogh

I have these 2 not great funeral cortege pictures from the Vinny Byrne scrapbook. They were very good friends and there is more Tom Keogh information including documents about the Wexford Expeditionary force and so on. Though I am not ready to put them all online yet. Here are the 2 not great Funeral cortege shots :

attachment.php?attachmentid=144753&d=1295807153

attachment.php?attachmentid=144754&d=1295807176

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Liam O Meara

Yes I have that one from the Freemans Journal- there must be an original somewhere. My copy slightly better

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

To Gran Nephew of Vinny Byrne.

Hi my name is James Delaney.
    Michael McDonnell (I'm sure u know the name) is a non blood 'relation' (best description that comes to mind) to me. My Gran Aunt Joan was married to Michael's Brother Dan.

I have read website on Vinny Byrne and found it contained great detail.

Would like to meet u to discuss more and exchange whatever little knowledge I have.

I understand M McDonnell had an input into putting down the mutiny and I would like to find out more details from youselff and any readers who have contributed to this thread.

MOD EDIT- Dont put personal details on public forum. People can send you a private message if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Hi.
    Thank you for photo's.
    please see my earlier post today on this thread.

I omitted to mention - although u all probably know - Tom Keogh was Step Brother to Michael McDonnell.
    regards
    MOD EDIT- Dont put personal details on public forum. People can send you a private message if necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

What was it exactly? I assume it was a reaction of an officer corps which was loyal to a recently deceased Mick Collins to the realization that the new free state army wasn't going to be used to help unify the country. Another side of it I've heard that it was a reaction to the downsizing of the army by soldiers worried about loosing their jobs in an uncertain time. How widespread was the mutiny, what form did it take and was there ever a danger it would lead to a military coup? Did it have any lasting effect on the governments attitude to the army?

The Treaty dictated that the Army was to be downsized. People got nose out of joint, especially those soldiers who had being there since 1916 and / or The Tan War and Civil War, only to see former British Soliders or cowards who stayed away when they were needed, keeping their spots

Some were also annoyed about the lack of progress on the North.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

McArmalite wrote: »
    Hi pal, watch yourself there.

Or what?
    I'm far from being a public house “republican”.

Funny you don't quote "public house". So you are far from a "Republican", but you are definitely a "public house" ........spoofer?

I'm not going to claim I've ever been in the Provos as I've been well aware that I wouldn't be up to it,

That and, you would be admitting to a crime.

but I've done my fair share of leafleting, marching, meetings, petitions etc

What? For the Provo's, that actually is a crime too.

Leafleting, marching, stamp licking.... is there any ends to your talent?

starting from my late teens with the Hunger Strikes, then campaigns such as anti extradition, Dublin bombings, Birmingham six/Guildford four, opening border roads, Time to Go campaign, as well as picketing the Zionist embassy, pro divorce, anti Iraq war etc, etc.

But the suits never asked for your views on policy issues , right? Just a sheep?

I have no doubts who is the one who sits on his ar$e in a public house spouting sh!te.

Many of them actually also march, leaftlet , sell An Phoblacht (and dodgy smokes), attend protests.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Or what?

I wouldn't bother, that poster would have got the road a long time ago the way he was carrying himself on, unless he's back under an assumed name. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Or what?

Funny you don't quote "public house". So you are far from a "Republican", but you are definitely a "public house" ........spoofer?

That and, you would be admitting to a crime.

What? For the Provo's, that actually is a crime too.

Leafleting, marching, stamp licking.... is there any ends to your talent?

But the suits never asked for your views on policy issues , right? Just a sheep?

Many of them actually also march, leaftlet , sell An Phoblacht (and dodgy smokes), attend protests.....

Do you do know his posts are six years old and he has been banned.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement