Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Costs

Options
  • 19-06-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick qst.

Getting large enough esb bills for the past few bills and really wanted to look at ways of getting the amount down.

We have the underfloor heating off for the past 2 months which i thought would make a difference but seemingly not :(

What i wanted to know was what appliances contribute most to my ESB bill?

I thought that the washing machine, drier, emersion & heating would be major factors but is there anything im missing?

Someone told me that turning on & off the emersion can be a bad idea - we have it on 2 nights, off 2nights - anybody any thoughts on this?

Also, would charging laptops, having wireless routers or tv boxs use alot of electricity?

Cheers - any advice or help would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Well I would certainly plug out the laptop if I wasn't looking to charge it. I never plug the router out.

Have you tried knocking all the mcbs off and going out to make sure your meter stops?

There's certainly no need to leave your emersion on for 2 nights! It depends on how many of you shower etc., if you put it on for an hour (you could time it) it should be sufficient for a couple of showers. Why are you doing 2 nights on, 2 nights off? I don't understand this at all.

You could use energy saver light bulbs, don't leave the tv, video etc on stand-by. Don't leave lights on where they're not being used. All the sensible stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Take out any chargers that are not charging they knock it up as well. TV and Video on standby.. unplug at night and you should notice it

Check your meter and take out all non essential items and see if it slows down it should otherwise there might be something draining it that is not obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Is the letter "E" meaning estimate beside any of your unit readings. A few years ago, we got 4 estimates in one-year.

Take your own reading over an average 7 days and work out usage at approximately 17c' ish per unit which covers VAT, but a standing charge estimate.

Advertisement