Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question regarding switching to 3 network and firmware question on n95

• 19-06-2008 2:39pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

hey folks,

been on vodafone since 088 way back and finally getting sick of the charges. i have a simfree n95 with them and was looking at the relax 350 on 3pay (350 units, free msn and skype)

all good with that, was just gona swap networks over :) but my problem is that i have heard the msn app is a java app that only works with 3 firmware? is this the case? will the free msn not work with my simfree n95 even if it is on the 3 network?

/edit:
    upon talking to folks in 3g mobile store, its to do with the firmware on my phone.. if its not the 3firmwear then it wont work... is it possible to flash my phone to suit 3 so i can change networks?

thanks
    splinter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Should work fine. When you put in the sim it should pick up the settings for planet 3. You need to in to your browser settings and set 3 as default. Them go to services, internet, and click on the msn icon and download. Same with skype

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i was told there would be an issue with the security cert not being on my phone because of the lack of 3 firmware,can anyone else confirm this?
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

I've recently debranded my 3 Nokia 6120c (similar OS to N95) and couldn't install the messenger client from planet 3 due to security cert error.

Personally though I never really liked the 3 client, I prefer the one you can download here. It even supports file transfers. Only let down is that the connection to the servers can be a bit unstable at times. I've moved over to fring now as it's more stable even if it doesn't have as many features as the linked client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

splinter wrote: »
    i was told there would be an issue with the security cert not being on my phone because of the lack of 3 firmware,can anyone else confirm this?
    Posted via Mobile Device

That's true.You'll need to flash the phone with the latest 3 n95 firmware in order to use the Free Three Skype Client (you can download/install it, but it won't work). Now with the Free Three MSN client, you'll need the Three firmware to even install it.

I've flashed from Three to vanilla and back to Three and all is working fine.

carbsy wrote: »
    That's true.You'll need to flash the phone with the latest 3 n95 firmware in order to use the Free Three Skype Client (you can download/install it, but it won't work). Now with the Free Three MSN client, you'll need the Three firmware to even install it.

I've flashed from Three to vanilla and back to Three and all is working fine.

reckon theres a way to pull the security cert off a 3 firmware flashed n95 to do this?

how easy was it to locate the firmware to go to 3?

• Advertisement

I remember seeing modified versions of Three MSN (modified to non 3 firmware/bypassing certs etc) for Three Uk but they won't work in Ireland.

The most recent Three N95 firmware is very good, why not just install it? v21.0.016 is what I have.

carbsy wrote: »
    I remember seeing modified versions of Three MSN (modified to non 3 firmware/bypassing certs etc) for Three Uk but they won't work in Ireland.

The most recent Three N95 firmware is very good, why not just install it? v21.0.016 is what I have.

is the firmware easy to come by?

You download it through the Nokia Software Suite.I haven't any experience of moving from Vodafone to Three so I think you might need to change the code in the N95 to Three network before you get to download the Three branded firmware through Nokia Software Suite.

Google changing N95 operator code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

hey folks,

been on vodafone since 088 way back and finally getting sick of the charges. i have a simfree n95 with them and was looking at the relax 350 on 3pay (350 units, free msn and skype)

all good with that, was just gona swap networks over :) but my problem is that i have heard the msn app is a java app that only works with 3 firmware? is this the case? will the free msn not work with my simfree n95 even if it is on the 3 network?

/edit:
    upon talking to folks in 3g mobile store, its to do with the firmware on my phone.. if its not the 3firmwear then it wont work... is it possible to flash my phone to suit 3 so i can change networks?

thanks
    splinter

man you were loyal to vodafone!!! Have always recommended vodafone for years to everyone but lately their letting their customer base slip!!! dont like their slant on the free calls and texts on prepay. Free calls and tetxs were great but I got a text from them the other day saying that they had a wonderful new offer in which you get excelent value 10c calls! GRRR!!! not liking them very much right now, but I would choose them over three!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

The v21 firmware made some great changes to the functionality of your n95 so if you haven't got it then you should. The information on how you go about getting it is freely available online.

I was able to install their MSN client on my N80 last year - the only issue I had was that I had to do it using their jad file and not just the jar file - or maybe it was the other way round - play round with it and see. The MSN client is pretty lame in comparison to the official Symbian client but if you use that or Fring then it will come out of your data allowance and won't be free as it is when you use their own client so unless you have a data addon then this is not the way to go unless you just use the third party clients over wi-fi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

If you get your hands on the jad file of the messenger client, you can just delete the last part of it, i.e. the 3 cert. Then you can download and install the jar file on a non branded 3 phone. I have done it myself on a nokia e51.

flodis79 wrote: »
    If you get your hands on the jad file of the messenger client, you can just delete the last part of it, i.e. the 3 cert. Then you can download and install the jar file on a non branded 3 phone. I have done it myself on a nokia e51.
    perfect :) just the answer i was looking for :)

looks like i might be going to 3 so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I've done this a while back for the N73 on 3. Now the 3 MSN client works on an un-branded N73 on 3 IRL. May work on other models...

http://damohere.freehostia.com/other/MMG.N73.3ROI.zip

cheers damo, ill install tonight and check it works ok with my n95 before i contemplate switching to 3..

(just to clarify this on my murky head this morning... the use of this edited java file on my unbranded n95 on the 3 network will allow me to avail of their free msn?)

cheers damo, ill install tonight and check it works ok with my n95 before i contemplate switching to 3..

(just to clarify this on my murky head this morning... the use of this edited java file on my unbranded n95 on the 3 network will allow me to avail of their free msn?)

yes, does for me anyway. their client connects to a special proxy server, not directly to msn, so you dont get billed for that.

but i normally use fring anyway.

right folks, all working ok thanks to Damo's msn :)

problem im having now is when msn loads its constantly asking me the connection to use... every few seconds it pops up on the screen asking what access point to use. ideas? it connects ok and loads but i still get the pop up :)

i only get asked what access point to use if i get disconnected.

Also your having to give the application permission to connect now since the certification trust is removed.

i only get asked what access point to use if i get disconnected.

Also your having to give the application permission to connect now since the certification trust is removed.
    hows that done? sorry, dont mean to be iritating, just a little confused as im used to using the Wifi all the time

To put it simply, its a signature/cert given to an application by an external body to ensure it is safe to use and complies with approved standards.

The reason why I removed the cert here is bcause the matching cert/key/signature or what ever it is, used in this application, is only on the 3 branded firmware versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

splinter: did you not get my PM with the modified jad file and skype sisx I sent you Wednesday? Lol

what phone are you using msn on? if you are on symbian there is a way around this, but you have to modify the firmware. if you are interested, there is info about this on ipmart-forum.com - i wont give the exact place since i do not know whether it is allowed to discuss this here...

• Advertisement

sorry flodis, meant to thank you :) yeah i have your one and skype installed at the moment. im using an n95. yeah i know ip-mart, used it a few times. everything seems to be working ok so may not need to modify the firmware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 rexton270

hey folks,

/edit:

thanks
    splinter

Yes. just google for Product code. then use NSS to change it, flash it and there you go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rexton270 wrote: »
    Yes. just google for Product code. then use NSS to change it, flash it and there you go...

Why....:confused::confused:

It was over a year ago, im sure its sorted by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Actually while this has been resurfaced from the deep, does anyone know a method of doing this for a W705 and the MSN/Skype client?

Same deal, I have a sim free original SE Firmware handset and moved to 3, so of course their download links wont work for me. I dont think MSN is even "available" from them yet for the W705 but Skype is meant to be, so anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Try this one: link

If it doesnt work let me know, i have one somewhere just have to find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Cheers for that, but my 705 doesn't seem to want to open it, at all. Not recognising the filetype I would imagine. I would have thought it would be UIQ3 based and would therefore be no problem, but maybe it isn't?

Advertisement