Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring of cafes/tea rooms

Options
  • 19-06-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Was wondering if the pricing in some cafes/tea rooms is monitored by any particular body? Rather curious as I am now noticing how much it has begun to cost me for tea/coffee whilst just out on a break from work, at one stage I was charged 8euro for a cup of coffee and a small slice of carrot cake... That's almost one hour's wages! (you do tend to notice when you're working hard for your money...) In comparing the prices of Dublin City to London City, I can't help but feel as if I am being robbed left right and centre!

Anyone else noticed similar in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

InTouch wrote: »
    Was wondering if the pricing in some cafes/tea rooms is monitored by any particular body?

ehh .. I am sure that the customers are well able to monitor the prices on the menu that they are obliged to display. If you don't like the price don't order .. simple.

Why would you expect anyone to 'regulate' or 'monitor' coffee and tea prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

whippet wrote: »
    Why would you expect anyone to 'regulate' or 'monitor' coffee and tea prices?
    Maybe the government could set one up, and call it BevReg :DI'll get me coat :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Was wondering if the pricing in some cafes/tea rooms is monitored by any particular body? Rather curious as I am now noticing how much it has begun to cost me for tea/coffee whilst just out on a break from work, at one stage I was charged 8euro for a cup of coffee and a small slice of carrot cake... That's almost one hour's wages! (you do tend to notice when you're working hard for your money...) In comparing the prices of Dublin City to London City, I can't help but feel as if I am being robbed left right and centre!

Walk away and don't pay it, so.

What is the government supposed to do? Start fining companies for charging too much for a ham sambo?

The best thing you can do is walk away and tell everyone you know to stay away. Eventually, if enough people do it, the company will get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

A coffee in a Starbucks or Starbucks-style coffee shop will cost about the same in London as it does here, for example a Venti Caramel Machiato and a caramel slice costs around £5.70 in London and around €7.20 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

It really is as simple as "if the price is not displayed bring your business elsewhere"

If petrol stations don't have prices for drinks / choc bars on display, I don't buy. If coffee shops don't have price of coffee dispayed, I don't buy, if restaurants don't have menu & prices outside, I don't go in.
    The more people who do this (and it seems people are finally waking up to this) the quicker it will all change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You must vote with your feet. Do not purchase if you do not think the product/service is not worth the price. If more people did this then everything would not be so expensive in Ireland. If people are willing to pay a high price then the businesses will charge that price and get away with it. The consumer has the power of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is getting kinda pricey for sure.

But whether it is good value depends on what you are getting too. There are all different standards of coffee, food and service and you have to take that into account.

Rents are pretty high for a well located cafe now.

Also, staff who provide good service are hard to come by.

Garrett Fitzgerald was famous for instituting An Bord Bun to intervene and deal with problems in the tea room industry in the mid-eighties. Perhaps it is time for the government to get involved again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

It's not always so easy to 'go someplace else' if the prices aren't great. If someone only has a set time for their break they tend to go to the nearest place and if you go there alot then you may not even notice the price sneaking up...

I have issue with Subway outlets charging different prices for the same thing in the same town... how does that work??? I thought places like that had to have the same prices in each place they set up? I mean, a chicken burger is the same price in Supermacs Galway as Supermacs Athlone?? Or am I wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

LoopyBum wrote: »
    I have issue with Subway outlets charging different prices for the same thing in the same town... how does that work??? I thought places like that had to have the same prices in each place they set up? I mean, a chicken burger is the same price in Supermacs Galway as Supermacs Athlone?? Or am I wrong?

The rents aren't going to be the same are they? If they're charging the same prices everywhere then the guy with the cheaper rent is making more profit.
    Dunno about Supermacs but I know for definite that MacDonalds charge different prices in different shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

LoopyBum wrote: »
    They are franchises thus I don't think they are exactly legally bound to have the same price in each place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A franchisor cannot dictate prices to franchisees. It would be illegal for them to do that.

Advertisement