Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what am I likely to get in a trade in?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

hi folks. looking for opinions from people in the know. another thread like this...

i am considering trading in in July the following,

2007 Accord Type S auto . 2.0 Petrol 30,000km on it. artic blue pearl ; considering the state of the market at present, what is it likely to get in a trade in against,

1 Audi (a4)
    2 bmw 520D
    3 merc e220 (classic)

a rough idea.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I have no idea of price but I have heard a lot of grumbling about excess stock of second-hand cars and warnings about how people looking to trade-in after July will "be in for a shock"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Trading in a 1 year old 2.0 petrol? My opinion is that you are completely bonkers, and that salesmen will run away and hide when you approach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Zube wrote: »
    Trading in a 1 year old 2.0 petrol? My opinion is that you are completely bonkers, and that salesmen will run away and hide when you approach them.

i have approached a few garages, and they looked at the car, its in mint condition , they said they would call me with a price, but never did..

mind you the accord is not as plentiful on the road as an avensis/mondeo/passat

i rekon the petrol versions of these will depreciate bigtime considering the numbers of them on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

what_car wrote: »
    i rekon the petrol versions of these will depreciate bigtime considering the numbers of them on the road.

I think the word you are looking for is "has". Zube is right, year one is where you suffer the worst depreciation, you'd be mad to trade it in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Off the top of my head I'd say €25k.

You didn't go to Frank Keane's about the 520d did you? I was talking to my dealer a few weeks ago after he'd just had someone in looking to trade a 07 Accord Type S Auto. That seemed to be the region he was thinking too - I'd be surprised if it was the same guy, if he didn't get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not trying to disrespect you or your car but your Accord will loose a fortune I'm afraid because any dealer will see the following points when trying to sell it on:
    • Accord has a 2.0 litre petrol engine which costs nearly €600 to tax alone per year. This will put alot of Irish people off.
    • It is an automatic which limits the number of potential buyers.
    • The car is only 1 year old which means it still has alot to loose in depreciation.
    • Dealer forecourts are already full to the brim with used cars, why take one which could prove difficult to sell on?
    • You are trading against a brand new diesel car which dealers will have no problem selling come July. This means they can be very fussy on what they accept as a trade-in.
    • UK Imports - Average Joe can bring in a similar year, condition and higher spec car from the UK probably cheaper.
    • Say what you like about an Avensis or Passat but pre 2008 models of these cars with smaller engines will still continue to sell all day long here once on the cc based tax system.
    My advice would be to sit tight until at least next year, see how the dust settles and let the second hand market return to some sort of normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

R.O.R wrote: »

That's about where the carzone '07 Accords start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Zube wrote: »
    That's about where the carzone '07 Accords start.

Maybe a little less then, but the Auto will add value as will S-Type spec.

Book with 22,000 km on the SR is 27,500 for an 07

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - Is there any compelling reason to change the car? If it were mine, i'd be thinking in terms of keeping it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

As a salesperson, in the current climate, I wouldn't want your car as a trade-in. I would find it hard to give you a value that you wouldn't get offended by, but I wouldn't want to give you a value you'd accept (if you see what I mean).

Don't even try to trade your car in this year, unless you have an extremely pressing reason to do so.

• Advertisement

You didn't go to Frank Keane's about the 520d did you? I was talking to my dealer a few weeks ago after he'd just had someone in looking to trade a 07 Accord Type S Auto. That seemed to be the region he was thinking too - I'd be surprised if it was the same guy, if he didn't get back to you.

nope wasnt me..

Maybe a little less then, but the Auto will add value as will S-Type spec.

Book with 22,000 km on the SR is 27,500 for an 07

the SR isnt available at present. and is the most basic model available.

ie cloth seats, basic enough

AudiChris wrote: »
    As a salesperson, in the current climate, I wouldn't want your car as a trade-in. I would find it hard to give you a value that you wouldn't get offended by, but I wouldn't want to give you a value you'd accept (if you see what I mean).

Don't even try to trade your car in this year, unless you have an extremely pressing reason to do so.

i got that impression alright from dealers. looks like in general people have just lost a fortune in depreciation with the changes..

i havent even looked into carzone as second hand private sales are dead at present. so i had planned at trading in.

thanks for the info..

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - Is there any compelling reason to change the car? If it were mine, i'd be thinking in terms of keeping it for a while.

none really. except i fancied something new.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not trying to disrespect you or your car but your Accord will loose a fortune I'm afraid because any dealer will see the following points when trying to sell it on:
    • Accord has a 2.0 litre petrol engine which costs nearly €600 to tax alone per year. This will put alot of Irish people off.
    • It is an automatic which limits the number of potential buyers.
    • The car is only 1 year old which means it still has alot to loose in depreciation.
    • Dealer forecourts are already full to the brim with used cars, why take one which could prove difficult to sell on?
    • You are trading against a brand new diesel car which dealers will have no problem selling come July. This means they can be very fussy on what they accept as a trade-in.
    • UK Imports - Average Joe can bring in a similar year, condition and higher spec car from the UK probably cheaper.
    • Say what you like about an Avensis or Passat but pre 2008 models of these cars with smaller engines will still continue to sell all day long here once on the cc based tax system.
    My advice would be to sit tight until at least next year, see how the dust settles and let the second hand market return to some sort of normality.

maybe ill stick on two big exhausts, large speakers, and big honda windscreen stickers, and a big furry dice, .... i rekon someone from the boy racer brigade would snap it up ................:D:D

Advertisement