Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smallpox vaccine 'triggered Aids virus'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the article quoted is 21 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Personally I think unsafe sexual practices, unsafe blood transfusions, needle sharing, and poverty have led to the rise of AIDS in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Small pox was wiped out in Africa by 1980 not long after this the first cases of Aids were reported.

My point is the small pox eradication and use of the same needle over and over again may have started the pandemic.

This is not causing it to spread now as the small pox eradication had ended by 1980.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The A-team was first aired in the 80s, not long from when the AIDS epidemic peaked. I wonder were those guys responsible for it in part, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The problem in Africa is very complex. A number of reasons -

Unsafe sex
    Malnutrition
    Reusing needles in hospitals
    Different (than the EU/US) AIDS test
    Greater amount of pneumonia due to indoor fires. (Pneumonia is one of the main ways AIDS is calculated)
    Corruption (producing false statistics for greater aid)
    Etc.

I've read articles on all of the above over the years. It's a totally messed up situation.

What's odd is that Europe doesn't have a large AIDS problem. Putting it down to "it's because we all have safe sex" is nonsense. AIDS in Africa is complex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement