Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€7000 to spend on second car

Options
  • 19-06-2008 3:18pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my current car (which I will get minimal trade in for if any) and I'll looking for recommendations. Looking for a 1.6 engine, preferably 4 door. I was thinking of a 2002 Focus 1.6 Zetec but I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Nice cars but a bit over budget unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

+1 on the passat, owned a 1.6 passat for a year - great car, much better looking than the ford with a higher level of comfort IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What are they like in terms of performance. I would imagine that they're quite heavy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Just like any other 1.6 litre car really, I only went for it because I'm 19 and was thinking of the insurance.
    Hardly a jet, but enough for every day driving and passing out. I'd imagine no heavier than any other saloon, and handles exceptionally well. MPG was OK, but better in the 1.8 as I recall, as the 1.6 is a little underpowered if anything.
    If you can, go for a 1.8 or 1.9tdi? If not, the 1.6 is honestly fine, take one for a spin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I know a few lads that have the 1.6 petrol and they don't have a bad word to say about them.
    I have the 1.9 tdi[130bhp] and find it excellent. It's a '01 and get roughly 600 miles out of a full tank. It has that bit of extra poke when /if ya want it.
    Extremely comfortable car and in today's market you should be able to pick up one with all the extras within your budget ;)
    As cianclarke says take a few for a spin :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

feylya wrote: »
    What are they like in terms of performance. I would imagine that they're quite heavy?

My 'oul man had two 1.8T (turbo petrol) passats, they're great with that engine. Should be more difficult to find than a 1.6 petrol but defo worth it. Petrol costs would be the same and tax is a little higher. You can get close to 40mpg out of one if you're sensible.

Like this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.8-T/1090041/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I know a few lads that have the 1.6 petrol and they don't have a bad word to say about them.
    I have the 1.9 tdi[130bhp] and find it excellent. It's a '01 and get roughly 600 miles out of a full tank. It has that bit of extra poke when /if ya want it.
    Extremely comfortable car and in today's market you should be able to pick up one with all the extras within your budget ;)
    As cianclarke says take a few for a spin :).

+1

i drive the same car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

What about a Golf? You can pick up a good second hand on carzone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

A4 1.6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

cianclarke wrote: »
    Just like any other 1.6 litre car really, I only went for it because I'm 19 and was thinking of the insurance.
    Hardly a jet, but enough for every day driving and passing out. I'd imagine no heavier than any other saloon, and handles exceptionally well. MPG was OK, but better in the 1.8 as I recall, as the 1.6 is a little underpowered if anything.
    If you can, go for a 1.8 or 1.9tdi? If not, the 1.6 is honestly fine, take one for a spin...

You must have a great suspension upgrade to make a passat handle well.
    A focus would drive rings around a passat and as for performance a 1.6 passat doesn't have any.
    If you need something passat sized the far superior mondeo is available for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Skoda Octavia's much better value than the Passat for your money you'd pick up a 2003 one easily for 7k - I know it's a 5 door strictly speaking but it looks more like a saloon than a hatch.
    and it's got a huge boot!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

eamon234 wrote: »
    Skoda Octavia's much better value than the Passat for your money you'd pick up a 2003 one easily for 7k - I know it's a 5 door strictly speaking but it looks more like a saloon than a hatch.
    and it's got a huge boot!:D

Em this has come up before but I always though it went like this if you were to compare:

Fabia or Polo

Octavia or Golf/Bora

Superb or Passat

Judging by the chassis in each case anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you just comparing size well maybe you can compare them. The boot in the Octavia is great if you need it, easy access unlike the Bora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Cadzer wrote: »
    What about a Golf? You can pick up a good second hand on carzone!

I was about to suggest the same thing

I dont get the Golf obsession or more to the point the prices some are demanding for them.

Just did a quick search on carzone:

2001, Diesel, Private sales: It threw up cars between €6300 and €11500, the latter one are over priced imo.

If your gonna get a petrol golf, I'm sure you'll be avoiding the dreadful 1.4 - horrible car.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

caesar wrote: »
    I dont get the Golf obsession or more to the point the prices some are demanding for them.

+1 Every second person seems to be driving a golf. Mate drives the 1.4 and get wait to get rid of it.

What about a civic.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/1.6-SE/1091908/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

caesar wrote: »
    Em this has come up before but I always though it went like this if you were to compare:

Fabia or Polo

Octavia or Golf/Bora

Superb or Passat

Judging by the chassis in each case anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you just comparing size well maybe you can compare them. The boot in the Octavia is great if you need it, easy access unlike the Bora.

OP hasn't said he wanted a Passat - I was comparing them in terms of value for money for a 1.6 not chassis not much point in buying a 01 Passat when you can get a 03 Octavia IMO

eamon234 wrote: »
    OP hasn't said he wanted a Passat - I was comparing them in terms of value for money for a 1.6 not chassis not much point in buying a 01 Passat when you can get a 03 Octavia IMO

I know he hasn't - was just making reference to your post and the fact that you'd generally compare them in the way I said, well imo anyway. Of course it will depend on what the op's requirements are, you can compare hem on whatever basis then:)

Advertisement