Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing - Maths

Options
  • 19-06-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Due to go straight into the second year of Computing (DT211) in September and was wondering if anyone knew what's covered under Discrete Mathematics for Computing.

Not too good at maths at all and it has me a little worried, does anyone have a list of topics that I could look over, or is it easy enough to pick up once you turn up and put the effort in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

logic
    set theory
    number theory
    graph theory

would be a couple of the main topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Cremo wrote: »
    logic
    set theory
    number theory
    graph theory

would be a couple of the main topics.

Thank you I've ordered a maths book and will make sure to look over the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Matrices aswell, make sure you have a fair bit of knowledge on them

EDIT. Heres a link to the lecturers webpage that will be teaching you it next year.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/smulligan/DT2112.htm

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Matrices aswell, make sure you have a fair bit of knowledge on them

EDIT. Heres a link to the lecturers webpage that will be teaching you it next year.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/smulligan/DT2112.htm

Thanks for that, bookmarked.

I don't think there's maths in yeaar one so would it be thought from the start as such not presuming that the students have seen it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes all courses are taught like you haven't done that subject before unless the subject is touted as a II/III subject eg. Software Engineering III

*LATE_EDIT* yup how did i forget matrices. they are pretty big chunk of discrete mathematics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Whoops my bad.
    <snip>

Mod Note: careful what we say here people

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Also keen, the lecturer you have for that is a lovely fellow

I dont know what to say to this post :p

Nick

I take it the above posts are implying he's not so helpful?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

he is but well we wouldnt want to get the poor fellow in trouble now by some students making references to his moral integrity now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Phil88

going into 2nd year of 211 aswell, anyone know where i could get a subject list for next year? also who is "keen"? this is scott.

• Advertisement

Phil88 wrote: »
    going into 2nd year of 211 aswell, anyone know where i could get a subject list for next year? also who is "keen"? this is scott.

Keen is myself :p, suppose I'll be in your class come September.

From the course description:

Stage Two (Common)
    Programming, Software Engineering, Databases, Practical Programming and Databases, Operating Systems, Internet Services & Web Development, Networking 1, Networking 2, Microprocessors, Discrete Mathematics for Computing.

Advertisement