Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower - petrol or electric

Options
  • 19-06-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

My electric flymo recently gave up the ghost and it is too expensive to get repaired. Service centre wanted €56 per hour for labour alone.

I now need a new mower but don't know whether to go for petrol or not. I don't know anything about them but I don't really trust the electric ones now as I only had the flymo for two summers.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for?

Are there any special care requirements for petrol?

Or do I need petrol at all?

The garden is about 80-90m2

Have about €200-250 to spend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

For my smallish garden I got a Bosch rotary job, its far superior to the Flymo, which I only got 2 years out of too. Grand job.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, if you're going to spend that kind of money, then I'd recommend a petrol mower. Just change the oil once every year (simple task), change the spark plug every 2 years (even simpler) and you'll be grand. No cord to wind or look out for.

That said, I've had petrol mower for the last 5 years. I've never changed the oil (but I do keep it topped up) and I've never changed the spark plug, and the mower still runs perfectly!! I'd have to recommend a Briggs & Stratton engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Glumpy

secman wrote: »
    For my smallish garden I got a Bosch rotary job, its far superior to the Flymo, which I only got 2 years out of too. Grand job.

Secman

Yeah,
    We have a Bosch Rotary mower as well and it's great. Hasn't given any problems over the last 9 months or so and is pretty good even when the grass is damp.

Ths is the one we have :- Bosch Rotak 34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭DanR

I'm starting to tyhink that the garden is too small to warrant the petrol and that bosch looks good for €160.:confused:

Got myself a nice petrol mower. Used it at the weekend. Great job. Thanks for the replies.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

just make sure that when it comes to the end of the growing season you dont leave it with a lot of petrol in it, it will be a bugger to start next year if you do as it all settles and goes off. Even during the summer I try to leave it pretty empty each time, but thats just me.. :)

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement