Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lure sea fishing / bass / etc...

Options
  • 19-06-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

i'm more of a fly fisherman.

But I bought a pile of what they call diving rapala lures and on surface lure - like attached pic.

How would you rig up a spinning rod with one of these.
    they aren't very heavy and they don't seem to cast very far.
    initially i though i had to put a big huge weight somewhere on the line but i don't know where to put it.

Can anyone help how to use these type of lures to catch bass, etc..

many thanks

Jason

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A lot depends on what line you are using. For mono 10 - 12 lb bs, or equivalent diameter in braid will allow decent distance.

Adding weight will probably result in lost gear, since these are diving lures.

Of course trolling is ideal, also casting into deeper water from rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

putting a weight on such a lure will lead to a lot of tangles, i'd advise not to bother, they generally cast far enough to find the fish you want.... presuming bass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

If you like you can put one or two lead shots on the line before the swivel , but you shouldnt need to with 10 or 12 lb line and a good spinning rod you should be able to cast far enough for bass, there usually hanging around rocks a few feet out.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

for casting plugs and light spinners you need 10 - 20 lbs braid.. mono will be too heavy..
    also an 11' spinning rod with a light tip ( i have a leeda quicksilver which has a very good action)

tie a swivel onto the braid and then a 10- 15lbs flourocarbon leader line of 24" with a link swivel

with the setup i have, i can cast a 18gram plug about 70 yrds, which is more than enough distance to catch bass...

hope this helps you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭subzero12

gear id use for then would be a 10 foot abu spining rod
    with a little abu 5000 series baitcaster with say 8 to 10 lb line (i like the sporting side of it with the lighter mono) into deep water off rocks. just with a swivel and lock of the main line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

If you are targeting Bass bring a few poppers, always worth a few casts and great to see the fish take it.

Advertisement