Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can aparent force a child to go to school after the age of 16?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

are there any websites covering this subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Parents are the legal guardians of thier children and responsible for the until they reach 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10856&ecategory=41358&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=37553

bottom line they can leave school 16 as I'm sure you know.

I assume you have a problem with your child (or relation) wanting to leave? This is a hard one to deal with as if you force him/her they will resent you for it and may not perform to their abilities if they do stay on

is there a way you could maybe look at restructuring the argument and see if there are alternatives to 'school' such as vocational college / work that will help them learn a trade but at the same time learn and develop skills they are actually interested in

some kids are more driven than others - some are happy to learn a multitude of subjects and coast through the exams whilst others need more focus, or simply aren;t that academic - in which case it may be best to focus their energies positively rather than force them to do something they simply refuse to.

we all want whats best for our kids but the important thing is to accept they are different to ourselves and may have different skills, abilities and desires -of course we should always guide as best we can but at the end of the day we need to try and find a middle ground that's acceptable to all

if they have no real interests and simply can't be bothered that is a different argument and maybe they aren't mature enough to make life altering decisions such as that - in which case I would do everything possible to try and get them to continue study

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

by law u cant force a child over 16 to go to school,its a difficult situation but if ur child does decide to leave school and get a job,there is a big chance that after a year of hard work for little pay they may want to go back to school after watchin all their friends havin fun on their school hols etc and they have to get up and go to work the next day,be tough with ur child ,dont hand them money to go out,make them get a job and support themself,a few months workin in a shop is enough to send anyone back to school to get a proper education,ive seen it with cousins of mine and also with myself,best of luck,hope it works out for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Find out the reason for leaving school... I know I just wanted to get out and make some money... Which is why I decided to do my Leaving Certificate in Youthreach..

I loved it... had my few bob every week but was still getting the education that I craved and went on to college afterwards..

There is quiet a number of Youthreach's all over Ireland sure you could find one near enough if that was an option...

Advertisement