Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Options for a US ex-patriot Lecturer?

• 19-06-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello there!

I've just married an Irish citizen, and we are planning to move to Dublin this coming autumn. I have several years teaching experience at the university level, mostly what we call English Composition or "Freshman Writing," as well as Introduction to Literature. I only hold a Bachelor's Degree and a Master of Arts Degree (both from a very reputable American school).

I don't suppose I have any chance at all of finding teaching work in Ireland? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you want to teach at 2nd level or lecture at 3rd level?

If it's the latter, you may have missed the boat for this year. Jobs are generally advertised around the April/May timeframe.

However, unfilled posts are sometimes advertised around the end of August/early September, so keep an eye on the papers then, you might be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 torsotellsall

Well, I generally don't like kids, so I'd say 3rd!

I'm sure I will miss the boat for this term, as I won't arrive until October, but I was thinking for either next term or next academic year. My worry is that, since I don't write or speak proper "English" and I don't have a PhD, that I would be eliminated from consideration.

My other question was whether there is a parallel course to English Comp as a requirement in Irish colleges and universities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My worry is that, since I don't write or speak proper "English" and I don't have a PhD, that I would be eliminated from consideration.

I would say the PhD would be more a problem than not speaking proper English, though I can't say for certain. It appears to depend on the college.
    My other question was whether there is a parallel course to English Comp as a requirement in Irish colleges and universities.

I am not really qualified to comment on English requirements, me being a techie and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Hello there!

I've just married an Irish citizen, and we are planning to move to Dublin this coming autumn. I have several years teaching experience at the university level, mostly what we call English Composition or "Freshman Writing," as well as Introduction to Literature. I only hold a Bachelor's Degree and a Master of Arts Degree (both from a very reputable American school).

I don't suppose I have any chance at all of finding teaching work in Ireland? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

You would need a PhD to get a job in an English department in a university. Your best bet would be to try for substitute second level work..

Yeah, I have pretty much zero interest in working with teenagers. I'd rather work a retail job, to be honest.

I love my work teaching adults here in the States and have been fortunate to get adjunct work with my Master's degree. But it sounds like it won't fly over there. Thanks for the advice though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

sounds like you have a lot of experience though thats worth something.maybe talk to a recruitment agency about your options?i suppose taking a few years to do a phd is out of the question?maybe while working part time?
    Posted via Mobile Device

sounds like you have a lot of experience though thats worth something.maybe talk to a recruitment agency about your options?i suppose taking a few years to do a phd is out of the question?maybe while working part time?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I will look into recruitment agencies. We don't really utilize them here in the same way, so it will be an interesting experience for me.

I have often considered a PhD, but am actively trying to pursue a career in Fashion Design. (complicated, I know)

Advertisement