Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording difficulties

Options
  • 19-06-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Could anyone point me in the right direction here?

I have a laptop, digital piano, mic and a midi interface.

All I want to do is record and layer up piano tracks, and then cut a vocal.

Can anyone suggest software I could use for just that?

I can get a line in and record in Audacity, but thats about it, the new cubase I got doesnt work with Vista (:() and the other version I got gives a terrible click click click click noise when I try record. Maybe its my soundcard, but I only bought it new last August.

All I want to do is record simple pieces with keyboard and cut vocals, but Im finding it very hard and could anyone shed any light please? Many, many thanks to anyone who responds.

PWL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Would a good option be to buy an Apple Mac Mini with Garageband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Pro tools with Mbox mini is just by far the best option for recording out there I say, it's only €350 and comes with the PT software and hardware required.
    Some will prob disagree with me tho!

Thank Einstein, thats a great idea just looked it up there, but I think its Vista thats causing the problems with my laptop, I bought it last August and Vista has been the biggest pain in my arse since with software, etc.

Im sitting here with my credit card... thinking of going mac mini for the garageband simply because I found the usability great.

BUT I dont know the answer to this, would I still require an interface of some sort? I have a Fastlane USB Motu interface.. am I on the right track?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

That interface is only going to do midi.
    You'll need an audio interface. The line in on your laptops soundcard, or on a Mac Mini soundcard for that matter, is not gonna be up to the job.
    Something like the Mbox, m-audio mobilepre usb, and usb audio interface will do the trick.

, I didnt know that you needed an audio interface, it makes sense now thanks alot Fitz.

• Advertisement

if u have vista, just make sure it's PT7.4 you get. Previous versions aint compatible with vista. But if it does happen to come with 7.3 you'll still be eligible for the free upgrade once you register it.

Thanks Einstein, but Im on the road to getting a Mac, Ive had enough limitations with Vista, its impossible to do the simplest of things without smoke coming out the sides, its so slow!

So I looked up all the interfaces suggested, and what I like is the Mac mini and one (havn't decided) audio interface. Then I'll have all the perfect ingredients...

Im going for the region quoted of €350, no more for the audio interface, I have the midi usb interface, so I hope its a piece of cake from here on in.

mac is ideal too. more stable.
    although not as easy to acquire emmm.....certain things i shall not say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

If it's Mac you want then go for it but don't think that PC's won't work. They do, brilliantly.

frobisher wrote: »
    If it's Mac you want then go for it but don't think that PC's won't work. They do, brilliantly.
    he's right ye know.
    We run PT rig on XP with no hassles at all.

• Advertisement

Reaper is a really great recording program, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's cheap as chips, is very CPU efficient (useful for use on laptop) and it is stable on Vista. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

:) I have great faith in Windows 95-XP... just not Vista.

Hey - wait - is anyone sucessfully working and recording in Vista???:confused:

yep PT 7.4 runs v well on my mates Vista laptop.

frobisher wrote: »
    Reaper is a really great recording program, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's cheap as chips, is very CPU efficient (useful for use on laptop) and it is stable on Vista. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

Frobisher, thanks, just had a look at the link, it looks great.

Reaper, thanks, just had a look at the link, it looks great.

It really is. When I first got it I did so to equip a voice over studio I was doing some work, they wanted something cheap, I wanted something multi track with plugins included. Reaper was a perfect fit so I started trying it for music and readin more about it. It has a very loyal fanbase making music on it and the business model and customer service is something I respect alot. But more importantly, it's a great peice of proffesional level recording software that is as cheap as chips (unless you're using it for generating revenue in which case it's still actually very good value). The best $50 you could spend in pro-audio.

Juts downloaded.. off to play with it and will revert back! :D

If you are going Mac, I'd look at firewire interfaces too.
    I've already recommended the Mackie Onyx Satellite, but there are plenty of decent options in your pricerange.
    Check out the usual suspects, Thomann, Digitial Village, Playback Europe...

I went for this:-http://http://www.thomann.de/gb/edirol_ua25_usb_audio.htm

It came with Cakewalk, and I bought a new mic.

Everythings connected right, got sound, but anytime I record I hear click click sounds.... I disconnected any USB, I freed up the computor, I am so bummed out about this, I just want to do some simple home recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I went for this:-http://http://www.thomann.de/gb/edirol_ua25_usb_audio.htm

It came with Cakewalk, and I bought a new mic.

Everythings connected right, got sound, but anytime I record I hear click click sounds.... I disconnected any USB, I freed up the computor, I am so bummed out about this, I just want to do some simple home recording.

Increase your buffer size....

I can't tell you how though.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paul I'll let you know if it works.

screwed around with buffer and latency, problem still alive and kicking.

Is there anyone you can call in to set you up? Like an engineer or something?

This is precisely why I ditched Windows and went Mac.
    Haven't had a problem since.

Well you know what Fitz, the interface is compatible with Mac so Im going to just go and feckin get it.

I thought you could just plug and play. I'm sick of encountering problems, so much music in my head I need to get out.

I took the driver and software off, reloaded it, anytime I speak into the mic the recording comes out all crackly, missing bits, not exactly a click click sound as I described previously, but just missing something. I checked all the levels, I'm completely lost.

Advertisement