Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Newbie questions

Options
  • 19-06-2008 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey all,

Hope someone here could spare a minute or two. Just wondering how to get involved with shooting? Been shooting air rifles and stuff for a few years (yes, I know..not the same league but..) and just wanted to move onto the real thing.

Gun clubs feel rather intimidating and I'd like to have some idea about where to start hardware wise, what you need to get a firearm, where to go for information advice and so on. just looking for a run down that any virgin like myself would need. i'm in the cork city area

thanks all!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

What kind of shooting are you interested in doing? Target shooting? Hunting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cork Protestant

IRLConor wrote: »
    What kind of shooting are you interested in doing? Target shooting? Hunting?

Oh, target shooting. sorry should have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Why not pay a visit to some place like Fermoy rifle range for a few hours. They will be able to give you info on the various types of target shooting, details about there club etc. Aslo you will have the chance to try your hand with some of the club rifles etc.

Hope this helps

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'd definitely concur with kerryman12, visit a club and see what they have to offer. Sure, it can be an intimidating idea, but most clubs are very friendly and welcoming.

I'd hold off on selecting a firearm until you decide what kind of target shooting interests you most. If you use club equipment to start off with you can protect yourself against costly mistakes.

There's also a page on the wiki with a bit more info: http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/ShootingFAQ:I%27d_Like_To_Start_Target_Shooting_-_Where_Do_I_Begin%3F

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

As he lads have said - go to a range where they can introduce you to different disciplines.

Then decide what you like and start the process of applying for a license.

B'Man

• Advertisement
Advertisement