Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying builder upfront?

• 19-06-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

A builder's asked for 2,000 upfront to pay for 3 RSJs, each 6ft, and has told me it will take 10 days for them to be made, the job total is 4,500. I don't mind paying and will get reciepts etc, are there any other precautions I should heed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Simple rule of thumb ..... DON'T pay a builder up front ..... DON'T

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As said - do not pay up front. Wait for delivery of the RSJs and pay then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

dont pay in the trade its called a retention fee and is well known. if y=he was a good builder he would have no problem footing the bill until they werre installed.

2000 for 3 rsj sounds steep too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Can you post the size of the rsj's?
    They must be large for that kind of cash!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

They are each 6ft. The OP stated that already. That is an afull lot for 18ft of RSJ.

• Advertisement

Yes but if they were 6ft of 25mm thick I beam 300 mm wide x 300mm high holding up a gable wall that would be different to 6ft of 6mm x 150mm x 300mm:p

That would be a small gable 6ft? (hen-house maybe??) :p only messing. :D
    You have a point about the thickness tho, but I bought 20ft 200x200 25mm galvanised
    angle for stonework last year and it was no way near as expensive as that....looks for receipt

Jaysus, nearly guilty of trolling there!!:eek:

Tell him you pay for em COD and see reaction.

Inform him that you have been done in the past, which proves that you are no judge of character and he shouldn't take offence.

If he does send him off on the horse he rode in on!:)

^^ +1
    OP, you mention it will take 10 days for them to be made. Do you know if they are standard RSJ's from a supplier or do they have to be modified by a fabrication company for your needs? If the latter is true this could be driving the price up. Id also recommend letting the builder order them but pay for them yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

As others have said, don't pay for the work up front. 3No RSJs won't be considered a special order or anything, in the normal run of construction. Me wonders if the builder is looking for money for RSJs upfront is he a bit tight for cash at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

archtech wrote: »
    As others have said, don't pay for the work up front. 3No RSJs won't be considered a special order or anything, in the normal run of construction. Me wonders if the builder is looking for money for RSJs upfront is he a bit tight for cash at the moment.

thats what i was thinking and i would be wary that that 2 k would not be used to pay someone else while he looks for a new job to pay for your rsj's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I work in the steel supply business where we specialize in the manufacturing of steel beams, and I can safely say that for that amount of money you could get roughly 1.6 tonne of fabricated beam. I can also state we as a rule always supply a grace period for payment to reputable contractors. So if your guy needs money upfront then I'd be questioning why. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

I got about 50ft of 46kg 203x203 for 1000euro within 2 days of ordering it. I reckon this is pretty good...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

The rules for paying a builder up front:

1) Never pay a builder up front
    2) Never pay a builder up front
    3) Never pay a builder up front

Advertisement