Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music - how'd it go?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

This being my last exam, even if it had been a disaster I'd be smiling! But it was actually grand!
    So happy to see my friend Berlioz as the big question on the paper. how'd you all find it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

I found it to be a very fair paper. Nothing really put there to catch us out. Berlioz question was nice and even the general aural was less nasty then usual. Minor melody and Sean Nos came up as predicted! Overall, sweet paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

what key was the composing q1? i dont think anyone in our year got it properly. f minor,c minor, i hate minors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

loved it :D

loved the backing chords

btw.. how many inversions are the most you should use???

I only used one but my friends used a few

I'm FINISHED:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EI787

what key was the composing q1? i dont think anyone in our year got it properly. f minor,c minor, i hate minors!

C Minor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MrsSDelonge

C minor!!! Well I hope! Haha it was brilliant! My teacher did a class for us this morning and she went through a 6/8 minor melody! Unreeeeal:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I thought it was great. Thanks to who ever predicted the sean nos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

happyy!!
    anyone want to tell me what the irish aural section answers were, like type of dance, my whole class got different answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MrsSDelonge

leavo08 wrote: »
    happyy!!
    anyone want to tell me what the irish aural section answers were, like type of dance, my whole class got different answers!

Hornpipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EI787

happyy!!

I said Section A was a slow air ....wasn't sure of the instrument there....I said Low Flute ???

Section B was a hornpipe.

happyy!!

Ok I was positive that the second question in irish music was a hornpipe until I came out and heard other people. But I'm still pretty sure as it was pretty bouncy and I'm almost certain it wasn't a reel.

First one was a slow air on flute I think...

• Advertisement

What did people put for:

the Berlioz question on how second excert differed from first excert???

The last Irish music question (how was it performed)

Mozart (again the differences)??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

That was graand altogether.
    Very happy, although I probably could have done better if I had've given it more attention over the year.
    Anyway, who cares, it's over now, yippee! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

In the irish section i said slow air on low whistle, my teacher said the answer is low whistle BUT you can get marks for saying flute or tin whistle. The features i said there were unaccompanied and ornamentation.

I think the second one was hornpipe on the fiddle/button accordian.
    The features of the hornpipe are dotted rhythms, 4/4 time, accented 1st and 3rd beat.

Third one, I said fiddle. Can't remember the longer question after that, something about how it was performed? I talked about how it was a fusion and about the melody and accompaniment.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Thought it was a lovely paper. Really nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thewildone

LOVED IT!! AHHHHH I'm finished!!!! :D
    Such a lovely paper:) But the backing chord question? It seemed a little easy to me so I'm scared i got it wrong. Did people use alot of Bb, Gm, Cm ???
    And for the Slow air i said it was a recorder..was about to say low whistle but i play the low whistle and i really didn't think it sounded like it. But aanways other than that I thought it was good. :)

Summer '08 here we come ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Everyone get the cadence points in the harmony? They werent at the end of each line, as there was an upbeat. Caught most people in my year out.

Everyone get the cadence points in the harmony? They werent at the end of each line, as there was an upbeat. Caught most people in my year out.

Yup. I got two i think. Can't really remember but the first one was was ii-v yeh? and i cant remember the second one.
    what did u get??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Timee

Is there much difference between a Lament and a Slow Air? Can a lament only be a song-type? because i said lament!

Yeah i said hornpipe. Definitely 4/4 and then it could never be as fast as a reel i thought.

What about Deane? Was it 5(point) kinda melody?

Where on the lines did you get them I mean. I cant remember what my progressions were.

I got three cadence points from what i remember.

An imperfect first (cant remember the progression)
    An interrupted second?? V - vi i got
    and then the obvious Perfect last one.

To me it seemed there were plenty of points it was about to Go ii - I but i changed it to Gm or Cm or something so it didnt because its wrong.

• Advertisement

Again, thats not what im talking about haha. I know what the cadences were, was asking where you put them, as they didnt go at the end of each line, as they usually would.

Around the start of the second line for the imperfect...maybe the third for the interrupted and end for the perfect.

Timee wrote: »
    Is there much difference between a Lament and a Slow Air? Can a lament only be a song-type? because i said lament!

Yeah i said hornpipe. Definitely 4/4 and then it could never be as fast as a reel i thought.

What about Deane? Was it 5(point) kinda melody?

Yeh you can have instrumental laments! Bet your glad to hear that lol :)

I don't understand what you mean about the 5 point thing for Deane

And my backing chords, the first cadence i put at the end of the second line, beginning of third (i think). the perfect at the end but i'm not sure if put in another one, i think i did. I just sang out the tune in my head and at the end of the phrase i put a cadence.

You know for the minor melody...in c minor, the raised 7th is bsharp, but the accidental made it a b natural in the first line, so i put that accidental infront of the bs in every line, was I supposed to put sharps in there though??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Heard Rhapsody in Blue come on for the last song and I beamed.

Some bangin choon boiiii! :p

I had never heard the 3rd irish aural fusion thing with the realllly fast violin before but it was so nice I just wanted it to keep going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I'm happy enough with it! Considering I left it til yesterday to study (unwise move..), I got really lucky with what my teacher had predicted, and most of it worked out quite well.

Not finished yet though, one more exam left... was a bit depressing when I was leaving school and practicaly everyone was finished except me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, that happened to me too... Everyone started cheering at the end of the tape, except for me. ;_;

6/8 melody, minor, grand! Don't feel I did terribly well, even though nothing was too bad (and jaysus I could have done any of the Irish essay topics, and here was me worrying about it), just a lot of the questions were things I wasn't sure of. All my time learning in great detail the ins and outs of the form of the Mozart and it didn't matter one bit! Meanwhile I have to describe the texture, which is such a... waffley question. Ah well.
    One more to go!

leavo08: No, if you've got sharps in a key signature with flats in it, you're in serious trouble. : p

Irish section was lovely though! And for a minute I thought the mendellsohn piece in question 6 was something I'd done on violin before.. not quite. Dictation was a shade tricky on that, but at least they tell you how many notes are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

^Hah, they told us how many notes were missing? Oops, missed that. Messed that one up a bit too ... but it is worth like what, 2 marks or something. No huge loss :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

You know for the minor melody...in c minor, the raised 7th is bsharp, but the accidental made it a b natural in the first line, so i put that accidental infront of the bs in every line, was I supposed to put sharps in there though??!

Actually B sharp is C natural!! So the raised 7th in C minor is B natural... C minor's related to A flat major which has b flat so when it's raised it becomes b natural
    ;) so u were right 2 leave it natural!

Advertisement