Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel FSB / Ram confusion ....

Options
  • 19-06-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

My current PC needs an upgrade and I was looking at this processor:

Intel Core™2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz Socket LGA775, 1333MHz, 12MB, BOXED w/fan

The FSB requirement is therefore 1333MHz?

On the basis of that, what RAM would I need? Do I need to go to DDR 3 and therefore will be forced to require a motherboard that supports socket 775 and DDR3?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's not 1333 MHz it's 1333 MT/s (Megatransfers per second). The FSB clock speed is 333 MHz, so DDR2-667 aka PC2-5300 would give you a synchronous FSB:RAM ratio. However, PC2-6400 is just as easily available and not really any more expensive, and gives you some leeway for overclocking (which is disturbingly easy with modern Intel CPUs).

I'm not sure how much of a performance benefit there is with a 1:1 ratio these days. I'm not sure if DDR3 is worthwhile yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

It's not 1333 MHz it's 1333 MT/s (Megatransfers per second). The FSB clock speed is 333 MHz, so DDR2-667 aka PC2-5300 would give you a synchronous FSB:RAM ratio. However, PC2-6400 is just as easily available and not really any more expensive, and gives you some leeway for overclocking (which is disturbingly easy with modern Intel CPUs).

I'm not sure how much of a performance benefit there is with a 1:1 ratio these days. I'm not sure if DDR3 is worthwhile yet either.

Thanks - was suspecting there was a multiplier in there somewhere.

Anyone have an opinion on this CPU or decent (without being overpriced) mobo that I should look at? Same for RAM, any suggestions?

Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

Chaz wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on this CPU or decent (without being overpriced) mobo that I should look at?

i have the cpu in my system and its amazing thb

Ishindar wrote: »
    i have the cpu in my system and its amazing thb

Thanks. What mobo / ram you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

mobo = Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R ,Intel P35, ATX, PCI-Express
    ram = 2048MB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel, CL4

• Advertisement

Argh. PC2-6400 with CL4 timing or PC2-8000 (etc) with CL5 type timing - similar prices - age old debate.

Advertisement