Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Cord Replacement

Options
  • 19-06-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for here!

I need a replacement cord for a hair straighteners. The coloured wires inside the casing have split, and I can't shorten and reattach them as the end of the cord is moulded onto an attachment which allows the cord to swivel when attached to the straighteners.

Probably not making any sense here at all. The straighteners are fine otherwise, so I'd rather a shot at fixing them than replacing them.

Anyways does anyone know is there anywhere in town would sell these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Not a clue! Be careful though! Don't use it if your not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Gillie wrote: »
    Not a clue! Be careful though! Don't use it if your not sure!

The wire has split completely now, so its dead as a dodo. I have been using it for weeks while it was fraying, by plugging it in to heat, then plugging it out before I attached it to my head! Not just a pretty face me! ('cept for the frizzy hair...)

I'll see if any of the sparkys in the Electrical Forum can help with a name, if I get no luck here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You can get electrical chord in House of Value... I know a bit about wiring, but I'm not 100% sure what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Moulded onto the attachment, don't like the sound of that. It is very difficult to get replacement parts here. For me I would go to Peats, but they are not here so let's look at alternative options. It can be quite expensive to get the chord replaced if the guarantee is up. Taheny's electrical do have outside suppliers for components, you could contact them. Best bet would be to replace the unit and recycle the parts.

You can get electrical chord in House of Value... I know a bit about wiring, but I'm not 100% sure what the problem is.

I thought if I opened the straightener and removed the cable (which is encased in rubber much like plugs are now) I could cut the rubber casing off and re-connect the wires inside. But there is a sort of "plug in end" on the cable that allows the cable to swivel, so I couldn't rewire it, it needs an entirely new cable with this swivel bit on the end.

Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

Sorry sueme

But doesn't the rubber act as a semiconductor? How would you re-attach it? Glue would be useless as the current would melt it and give off fumes.

Hi sueme

Did you sort out your cord problem?

Sorted thanks DenMan. I have one winging its way from Argos!

Advertisement