Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An idea for cutting down

Options
  • 19-06-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

This is a post about cutting down rather than quitting.

I work from home and spend a lot of time on my computer. All you degenerate addicts out there will know what a terrible combination this is for smoking - I can easily sit there and chain-smoke without realising it. I was hitting 30 a day in recent weeks, which is just bloody dreadful.

Anyway, I struck on an idea that seems to be working well. As you all know, most cigs we smoke we don't really want, it is more about the placebo effect, the habit and something to do with my hands. So, I have taken to rolling a "joint" using a cigarette (no illegal stuff in it!)...I find that I am able to keep this "joint" on the go for an hour or two, during which period I would normally smoke several fags.

The key is that this "joint" keeps going out after 2 drags (no saltpetre in the Rizlas I guess), so I just have a couple of drags, leave it down in the ashtray, forget about it, it goes out, and then 20 minutes later I have another drag or two. This gives me my "hit", but without having to smoke a whole damn cigarette each time I want that hit.

I have 2 of these "joints" during the day while working (one in the morning, one in the afternoon), and I am convinced they are cutting out as much as half my fag intake during the day, maybe more. I do "allow" myself a few normal fags spread through the day - one in the morning, one after lunch and dinner, and a few in the evening. I am very much hoping that this "joint" plan will help me get from 20-30 a day down to 10 a day, which to me would be major progress.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I suggest when you have the "real" cigarettes that you don't have them at favourite times. Like don't have them after lunch or dinner. Have them for example only when you are standing in the kitchen - or out in the garden! That way you will break the habit of seeing them as completing your meal or as an enjoyable thing. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

SMK wrote: »
    I suggest when you have the "real" cigarettes that you don't have them at favourite times.

That's a very good idea. Thanks.

Advertisement