Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting yourself during primary post grad

• 19-06-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am seriously considering applying for primary teaching. I'm 10 years out of school and working in industry and I'm wondering if any of ye have gone back to do the post grad (f/t) how you managed to stay alive and eat :) during it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

i'm wondering how i'll pay for my ma too,but if you only have to do a year it wouldn't be the end of the world to get a loan would it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

There's always the part time 18month postgrad with Hibernia which allows you to work while studying it.
    That's my plan anyway, as I would not be able to afford the full time post grads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    There's always the part time 18month postgrad with Hibernia which allows you to work while studying it.
    That's my plan anyway, as I would not be able to afford the full time post grads

hi boozybabe
    ive looked into that aswell, it seems you will need lots of time off for various reasons. gaeltacht etc.
    Just make sure you know all the details, because your employers may not give you time off or whatever.......

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

i went back and did the undergrad course as postgrad was hard to get onto
    supported myself by working nights others supported themselves by working in shops or security

if its your first postgrad you might be entitled to free fees and mature studemt grant best thing is to get on touch ith mature student officer and enquire or get in touch with local authority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Charcoal

It would be my first (and dear god, hopefully my last!!) postgrad. I would be really interested in grants / free fees etc, must check that out.

I did look into Hibernia too- there are 14 weeks of teaching practice and 3 weeks Gaeltacht, which I wouldn't get the time off for. It would certainly be my second preference and I believe it is really hard to get on the f/t post grad courses. I think if I were to go the Hibernia route I would still leave my job and start subbing to get the experience.

• Advertisement

horsecrap wrote: »
    hi boozybabe
    ive looked into that aswell, it seems you will need lots of time off for various reasons. gaeltacht etc.
    Just make sure you know all the details, because your employers may not give you time off or whatever.......

I know it inside out, upside down & back to front!!!!! :D

Spent a LONG time researching this one, & Hibernia is the only one I'll be able to survive on.

I know all about the TP & time off, so my plan is to work up until the 1st TP, then take my hols & possibly a bit of a career break for 1st TP, then work until 2nd TP & then come clen to my employer. Give them the option of holding on to me for as long as I can (I'm the only one in my position here), or leave & sub.

At that stage I won't mind subbing, or some lesser paid job, as the duration would be less, & the subbing would be excellent experience for me

On top of that, I live a long way away from the trad training colleges, am building a house & not in the position to move up to Dublin for the Postgrad, & not prepared to drive that distance everyday.

So, it's Hibernia for me & I'll make it work someway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I got a loan, and then did plenty of subbing so it worked out well. I didnt have much extra after the essentials were bought, but I got by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

I think the Hibernia and subbing work is the best way to go for you?
    I have been sub teaching for the past year and loved it. Best way to learn is to get in there and experience, so many teachers have said that to me. So you'd be getting the best of both worlds no? Decent money and good experience...
    The Hibernia course is not for me though, I prefer a more hands on course. I don't think I'm manage the online coursework and classes very well. I am going over to Scotland to do the 1 year course. Its funded by the SAAS if you are within the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Charcoal

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your responses! It is looking like Hibernia is the only real route for me and I think I would sub while doing the course. I'm pretty much along the same lines as Boozy babe and throw in a husband and kids and the f/t courses just don't seem like a realistic option for me.

Just an idea, it might be worth looking into whether the cost of Hibernia could be claimed in tax relief (around 20% of the cost you'd get back). For full-time, check out grants and whatnot during the summer since the closing date is the last working day of August.

• Advertisement

Yes, you can clain tax back on the Hibernia fees.
    Not sure roughly how much it works out as though

Advertisement