Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Wicklow Way

Options
  • 19-06-2008 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im planning to cycle from Marlay Park to Gorey sometime in the next few weeks. Is the Wicklow Way suitable for cycling on as it is a walkers trail?

We plan on cycling this way rather than on roads, purely to explore the countryside and stay overnight somewhere along the way, probably Glendalough, beacuse we haven't done any thing like this before. We would probably leave the trail at Tinahely, going by Carnew to Gorey.

Map:
    http://www.wicklowway.com/trail-maps/maps/complete-wicklow-way-map.jpg

I'd be on a Trek 4100, with the others on similar bikes, with regular pedals and mountain bike tyres. We'd bring anything we might need including spare tubes, multitool, first aid kit, etc as we would be on our own.

What are peoples opinions on this, good or bad idea? Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You probably could do it on a mountain bike but I'd imagine you'd meet some rather unhappy walkers along the way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

I was thinkin that, were not trying to put anyone out, but I know theres an unspoken etiquette to these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some of the Wicklow way is along public roads which would be nice to cycle as they are well off the beaten track.
    For example the back roads between Laragh/Annamoe/Oldbridge/Roundwood are part of the Wicklow way and are stunningly beautiful and not busy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

People have done it, I think you would just want to be careful and always give walkers priority and courtesy at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

there are so so so many threads on this...
    search for them and you'll find all your answers...
    Dont worry about walkers.
    Just do it. It's awesome fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd consider it a walking trail tbh. I've run along it plenty of times though ;) There's a lot of rough terrain and sectins of boardwalk (unsuitable for bicycles due to metal things sticking out of it) so it would only be suitable for a mountain bike if you were going to do it by bike at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I might do it. I wonder how long it would take to cycle? I guess 2 days. Id love to think I could do it in a day.

I reckon you could do it in 2 days but it could be a tough two days! There are people who have done it in a day who posted here a while back* but IIRC they sounded like pretty serious mountain bikers. A mountain bike goes without question of course.

*Epic thread; there is a great pissing contest about fitness, testicle size, cyclocross vs hardtail and even whether Ironman or adventure racing is tougher- around halfway though ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

As a committed hillwalker and a regular user of the wicklow way I don't think too many walkers would mind you cycling it as long as you give the walker the right of way if you know what I mean.

What we hillwalkers hate the most are the moto-cross and quad biker neanderthals.

There are some stretches of the way that you would be wondering how any sort of wheeled thingy could move along it.

Good luck and have a great time.

I brought this up before and got savaged, but cycling the Wicklow way, is prohibited by the Wicklow Mountains National Park

quote:
    Cycling
    The public roads running through the Park are used for competitive cycling, as well as for touring. Bicycles also use some un-surfaced forestry-type roads and wider surfaced tracks. Off-road cycling is not allowed due to the damage it can cause to sensitive habitats. For information on cycling in Ireland see www.cyclingireland.ie

I think the Wicklow Way was a mistake, it channels too many people along the same route, whether cyclists or walkers, in a sensitive enviroment.
    The mountain bog just can't take it.
    As a hillwalker, I try to avoid as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

I'm doing it this weekend, Marlay to Glenmalure and back :-)

Thanks for the advice! Great thread about Ironman too!

Would "off road" cycling not be going through fields, etc? We plan to stick on the main path as much as possible. Im just trying to work out logistics, where would be a good place to stay somewhere abround Glendalough?

I know to hold off untill its been dry for a good bit beforehand, but is there any dates that would be a disaster? Such as WW races and the like, I'd hate to run into that. A week day would be best I think.

It's a mountain trail, the trail itself is going to be a lot more difficult than cycling through a field- have you done this sort of thing before at all ;-) There are likely to be sections you will be carrying the bikes; maybe you might want to consider more than 2 days, I have seen 3 suggested for cycling (I think it is 7-10 for walking.)

The Wicklow Way is meant to be a walking trail full stop, I wouldn't worry about races. I think there is one mountain running race organised per year but that would be it. Don't think it gets crazy numbers either. Weekdays would be better through as less walkers.

There is a Youth Hostel in Glendalough that I've stayed in before (many years ago now!) There are a few B&Bs around too I believe.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as blorg says, have you seen the wicklow way? a field it ain't! there will be plenty of bits where you would have to get off and push a mtn bike, like stark have run plenty of it and even then there are bits where you have to basically clamber along...

I know its not a field, yea! I meant that in realtion to Coilte's "No off-road cycling" statement.

I've done the first 12-15k on a bikefrom the Marlay side and a good bit of cycling in wooded area's and tracks so I'd be comfortable enough with the terrain.

We'd be leaving the trail around Tinahely so that would cut a good chunk out of it, although cycling to Gorey would compensate for that!

You should be OK then. Coillte's "no bike" thing applies in a lot of places; as far as I can make out you will be OK as long as you are not also pony trekking and motorbike scrambling. Both of which are difficult to do when mounted on a mountain bike.

Advertisement