Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM QUERY-please help!

Options
  • 19-06-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Recently I was away in Gran Canaria and used my atm card.I got my card and my receipt back but no money.I waited a few minutes in case it came out after but it didnt.
    The bank was open so I went in and asked them about it.They told me I had to ring my bank so I did.I was told at the time that it hadnt come out but when I got back I noticed that it had.

I filled out an atm query form and sent it off.I was told I had 55 days to wait for a response.After 64 days I was told that my query was being refused!!When I asked why I was told that the foreign bank said the atm was balanced and that they felt I had got the money!

Im now €200 down and AIB have told me thats theres nothing I can do.
    Obviously Im extrememly annoyed over this but dont know if theres much I can do.I've sent a complaint off to the Financial Regulator but I dont think thats going to do anything as I was abroad.
    Has this happened to anyone else?I dont want to wave bye bye to my €200!!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Actually had the same happen to me in Ireland. Tried to withdraw some money, got card and receipt back but no money.
    Went straight into the bank the ATM was attached to. They said to come back the next day as they had to tally the ATM against all transactions for the day. In the meantime I went to my own bank and reported the problem.

The next day went back to the bank to hopefully collect my money. They said I had received the money as no extra money was in the ATM. They wouldn't do anything to fix the problem.
    Went back to my own bank and basically found out that because the ATM hadn't any CCTV nothing could be done.:mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ifwah

Thanks for the reply,I just really annoyed about it,I was full sure I was getting my money back but no one seems to have a clue.I just dont see ow they can do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

If that ever happened to me I'd try and take another small sum out aswell just in case the original money was stuck. Sure 200 and 220 are pretty much the same this day in age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Something similar happened to me when I was a student. I took about 550 out of an AIB atm in the IFSC. However for some reason only 500 eur came out. Anyhow I went straight up to the nearest AIB branch that was opened and filed an ATM query report. It came back and of course they said the ATM was balanced. So I contacted the Financial REgulator and they advised me to write a letter to such and such a person in AIB. Did that and they came back with the same story. Can't remember what happened after that. I think I wrote another letter to AIB cc'ing my branch basically threatened to take the case to the Financial Regulator. Turned out i got a call from the branch manager soon after and he offered me 200 eur as a gesture! Of course I said thank you very much!

From my experience just because an ATM balances it doesn't mean that it's necessarily correct. Well 99% of the time it is. So my advice is to fight hard to get your money back and take it to the financial regulator if you are getting no joy. The louder you shout the better the chance you'll get heard.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

stepbar wrote: »

From my experience just because an ATM balances it doesn't mean that it's necessarily correct. Well 99% of the time it is. So my advice is to fight hard to get your money back and take it to the financial regulator if you are getting no joy. The louder you shout the better the chance you'll get heard.

I'd +1 this! Having looked after the ATM queries for one of the branches I worked in, I can tell you that the majority of the foreign banks come back saying the ATM is balanced. (If they even respond at all) With the foreign ones there's not a whole lot you can do really. Best bet is if you keep on at your branch who will in turn hopefully get on to the foreign bank again and keep the pressure on them. How long did you wait for your money before going into the bank? The reason I ask is that some atms take ages to dispense the money.

I had a guy who walked off from the ATM after a few seconds (I think he must have been in a rush) then his money popped out and some chancer walking past whipped it out of the ATM and put it in his pocket. Naturally the ATM balanced, and we only found this out by looking at the CCTV. There was a bit of a question mark over who was liable in this case, but in the end the branch gave him the money as a gesture of good faith. See if your branch can liaise with the foreign bank and if they'll check the CCTV. I wouldn't hold your breath, but it's worth a try.

• Advertisement

AIB needs a prick like me to get things sorted!! :p If I was responcible for the "getting the money back", I'd wreck the foreign banks head until they paid out! Incompetience like that wrecks my head.

Ha ha it actually gets funnier....I work in AIB,ive said it to my boss and was told "oh thats such a shame" haha what a joke.

I was told to write to that person in AIB who looks after the complaints so thats what im doing then Im goin to the financial regulator.Might not have a job after it all but Im makin sure I get that money back!!!

You might be best leave that point out in your letter and don't start the letter by going " Dear Collegue" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Toots85 wrote: »

I had a guy who walked off from the ATM after a few seconds (I think he must have been in a rush) then his money popped out and some chancer walking past whipped it out of the ATM and put it in his pocket. Naturally the ATM balanced, and we only found this out by looking at the CCTV. There was a bit of a question mark over who was liable in this case, but in the end the branch gave him the money as a gesture of good faith. See if your branch can liaise with the foreign bank and if they'll check the CCTV. I wouldn't hold your breath, but it's worth a try.

A woman done the very same thing in front of me ,she just walked away from the machine and as I walked up about 500 euro comes out.
    I had to actually call her back ,silly cow.

Finally got my money back!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

happened to me in Phi Phi this year and got my money back.

All I had to do was fill a form in.

With TSB

Advertisement