Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne on Joe Duffy

Options
  • 19-06-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

On the Joe Duffy show this afternoon Ben Dunne accused his sister Margaret Heffernan who runs the Irish supermarket chain Dunnes of being a robber and overcharging all of her customers. This is in light of findings that Irish branches of Dunnes are on average 28% more expensive than branches in Northern Ireland.

After talking to several Dunnes workers today I have been told that they have recieved instructions form managers to remove any price tags that display both euro and pound amounts. This is so that people cannot directly compare the Irish prices to the NI / UK prices. I will no longer be shopping at Dunnes Stores.

What do you guys think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the old girl gave up shopping there yonks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Ben Dunne want's to gripe at everything that Dunnes Stores does, he had his chance and blew it, Dunnes Stores has progressed and moderised hugely since he left, he just can't belive his sister is doing a better job than he ever could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

Namesco wrote: »
    Ben Dunne want's to gripe at everything that Dunnes Stores does, he had his chance and blew it, Dunnes Stores has progressed and moderised hugely since he left, he just can't belive his sister is doing a better job than he ever could.

I dont think he is too bitter over the whole dunnes thing, he seems happy in what he has now. Whats your opinion on the 28% difference in price between Dunnes in Letterkenny and Dunnes in Strabne (Only 20K down the road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Joe duffy on todays liveline '' but what can we do Ben , what can we do ' ?

Thought for a sec Ben was going to reply ' this is a job for Superman joe ' :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Different countries, different taxes, different costs, different rates of pay, etc.

There will always be an excuse to over charge in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SDooM wrote: »
    Different countries, different taxes, different costs, different rates of pay, etc.
    Don't forget the classic "they'll whine about it for months on end, but still buy the over-priced sh|te every week"...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

There will always be an excuse to over charge in Ireland.

True, but that can never justify or explain 33% difference in price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's their shop, they can do as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Ben Dunne is a knob - wouldnt listen to anything he says

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I get whatever I can in Lidl / Aldi and the other shops can have the scraps.

• Advertisement

LadyE wrote: »
    Ben Dunne is a knob - wouldnt listen to anything he says

I would listen, he had a lot of valid points to make. He is pro compition and thrives on price wars in his sector. He is a prudent business man and he will go far in Ireland.

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's their shop, they can do as they like.

Not if people decide not to shop there. Like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I will no longer be shopping at Dunnes Stores.

...and you don't think Tescos, Zavi, Currys, PC World and almost every multiple based both here and in the UK don't do it too?

We're being ripped left, right and centre by everyone except Aldi/Lidl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not if people decide not to shop there. Like me!
    Great for you! Now you can pay the same mark up in another store instead! But don't forget it is because they are non Irish stores are all ebil that they do this, the fact the Irish stores where even worse before don't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Did Eddie Hobbs and his band of loyal followers not harp on about the groceries act for years and then when it's finally changed, what happens to prices???

Answer: No Difference.

In the middle of the tiger economy all people did was talk about a rip off republic, now things are different people have found we have to complain about prices in another jurisdiction/country.

The minium wage in Spain is €3.20, things are cheaper there, wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

We're being ripped left, right and centre by everyone except Aldi/Lidl.

Ahem, those 2 are up to the same tricks when it comes to pricing in sterling and euro, there's been similar surveys comparing their prices in the republic and the north and there's similar discrepencies. I reckon only because they're the posters boys of cheap shopping there's not more being made out of it, Dunnes and Tescos are the usual easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yes, a different market.

Consumers must vote with their feet. Businesses can charge what they will get away with and in Ireland people accept the high prices by still purchasing in those shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in a Dunnes in Dublin and dual pricing is still displayed on everything, nor have we been told to remove it. In fact, the euro price has recently come down, unlike every other shop still screwing people over. In fairness, the staff in the NI Dunnes are probably getting paid **** all, whereas Dunnes starting wage here is €9. As for Ben Dunne, yes he is bitter, Dunnes makes €1bn a year and my Dunnes is making a profit every year. Very few shops are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

In fairness, the staff in the NI Dunnes are probably getting paid **** all,

You mean on or not much over minimum wage?
    whereas Dunnes starting wage here is €9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

JOOOOOOOOOOE DUFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

eth0_ wrote: »

Yeah it's legal but that's not the point, the difference between wages and VAT are going to impact on prices, regardless of profit etc. Dunnes is the hardly the worst offender anyway..Oasis and Arcadia are definitely top of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Nody wrote: »
    Great for you! Now you can pay the same mark up in another store instead!

Exactly. Can someone get Eddie Hobbs on to this? He's been very quiet lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There is good reason why Tesco will not publish its Irish profits.

.....We'd have heart failure :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Jip wrote: »
    Ahem, those 2 are up to the same tricks when it comes to pricing in sterling and euro, there's been similar surveys comparing their prices in the republic and the north and there's similar discrepencies. I reckon only because they're the posters boys of cheap shopping there's not more being made out of it, Dunnes and Tescos are the usual easy targets.

Drive up north and buy it there then.

This Sterling/Euro argument is retarded, its the exact same in europe Euro -> Euro.

Germany is cheaper for stuff than Holland, in Ikea or Media Markt ! any of the big chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

There was some old bag on Joe Duffy that we shouldn't be going up North for cheaper shopping we should be supporting the Irish economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Demonique wrote: »
    There was some old bag on Joe Duffy that we shouldn't be going up North for cheaper shopping we should be supporting the Irish economy

What a nasty comment from Demonique.

If Irish people are not willing (a) to shop where it's cheaper, and (b) to tell the dear shops, politely, that they're doing so, the shops will continue to overcharge.

Prices are cheaper in Germany than anywhere in Europe because it's considered good housekeeping in Germany to know exactly what everything costs, and object if prices go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I am not concerned what Ben Dunnes motives are, he is absolutely right. I discovered that myself when I looked at the prices on the clothes shown in both currencies. This is a total rip off and fair play to Joe and indeed to Ben for highlighting this. This along with how the consumer responds may bring about change.
    So let's not knock those who are highlighting the issue;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think there is alot to be said for supporting the Irish economy however the likes of Dunnes have said "the difference is, we're Irish" and have distorted the whole issue.

Tesco Ireland does as much for Ireland as Dunnes or Superquinn. Employ Irish people, buy from Irish farmers, charge the same rate of VAT etc.

All Dunnes' profits go into the pockets of the Dunne family. One family. If "shopping Irish" means to support a family of multimillionaires then go ahead. I'd say there are more Irish people (shareholders and pension funds) that benefit from Tesco profits than Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

craichoe wrote: »
    Drive up north and buy it there then.

This Sterling/Euro argument is retarded, its the exact same in europe Euro -> Euro.

Germany is cheaper for stuff than Holland, in Ikea or Media Markt ! any of the big chains.

I'm not the one whinging about it, I'm simply pointing out that those 2 are at it also when people say don't shop in Dunnes or Tesco because of the sterling difference, shop in Lidl or Aldi instead.

• Advertisement

I think there is alot to be said for supporting the Irish economy however the likes of Dunnes have said "the difference is, we're Irish" and have distorted the whole issue.

Tesco Ireland does as much for Ireland as Dunnes or Superquinn. Employ Irish people, buy from Irish farmers, charge the same rate of VAT etc.

All Dunnes' profits go into the pockets of the Dunne family. One family. If "shopping Irish" means to support a family of multimillionaires then go ahead. I'd say there are more Irish people (shareholders and pension funds) that benefit from Tesco profits than Dunnes.

Margaret Heffernan is the ninth richest person in Ireland with €490m. Their company does not have publish accounts as they are a private trust. All your money is going into her pocket if you shop in Dunnes. Be smart, use lidl and aldi as much as you can.

Advertisement