Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Advice Wanted

Options
  • 19-06-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi,

I started cycling a few years ago when I bought a road bike but never joined a club until fairly recently when I wound up in an MTB club which is great but I've always wanted to do some road riding and still do, it just appeals to me.

I'm a reasonable cyclist, I have often done long MTB spins tough climbs, some races and on the road bike I've done a couple of centuries on my own. My club doesn't cater for road riding and in terms of etiquete and riding in a group etc. I'm a complete beginner, so, Id like to learn the ropes of road riding.

I don't know what the politics or cycling ireland implications are of sneaky spins with another club :) but I'd appreciate any advice on finding a road club in South Dublin. I read somewhere it might be out of season for beginners but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Some of the clubs (Orwell for example) only take on members in the autumn/winter- they get them up to speed with the riding in a group over the off-season.

You could do worse than come along to one of the Boards Saturday Spins - generally 10:00 from the Harolds Cross Track, 10:15 from under the Luas bridge in Dundrum. TinyExplosions inaugurated this great institution and generally there is a post up each week about the upcoming one. Complete mixed ability group so you will fit right in. I was only out on one so far which was a little undersubscribed, coming right after a Wicklow 200 celebratory beer drinking session, but I'm told there is often up to 15-20 or so and I'll be along to more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Yup, we have spins most Saturdays, and you (and anyone!) is more than welcome to join us. Next one is this Saturday, 10am from the Harolds Cross Dog Track, 10.15 from under the LUAS bridge in Dundrum.

Only rule is that you're on time, as we can't wait around all day for folk, but apart from that it's nice and gentle, and anyone should be able to keep up (and we wait at the tops of climbs if someone is slightly slower -usually me!)

Come on out and give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 manofthemoment

Thanks guys, I think I'll go along the first week in July sounds like a good way to meet some road people.

Advertisement