Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please - moving to Arklow

Options
  • 19-06-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on moving to Arklow soon and have been looking at houses in the Woodlands estate. Could someone who knows the area please give me some advice on what its like to live there? I've been told its fine but the more opinions the better. Is there much crime or anti-social behavior? Also, whats the nightlife like in Arklow?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Not sure where Woodstown is in Arklow but I live in Lamberton, in the Woodlands estate. I moved here just over a year ago and I really love it. The town is a really nice place and surprisling close to everything. The only bad thing about the town is the "boy racers" that speed around the harbour and beach, but I guess they are in all towns.
    The night life leaves alot to be desired, but if your just looking for a few pints there are alot of pubs. There are a couple of clubs in gorey and wickow town which are not too far away though. If you are moving from Dublin it can quite a shock what little choice you have when decideding your Saturday nights!
    Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Thanks orchidsrpretty, It is the Woodlands estate - my mistake, I've edited the oroginal post now. If you have any more information that you think might be of interest then please do let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

Woodlands is fine , nice quiet estate with plenty of green areas and plenty of young families . Noonans construction were the builders of the estate and they're very highly thought of in Co Wicklow . I think it's won the best new estate the last 3 years running - Surely it can't be new anymore ?

The estate has it's own shop but 3 supermarkets are very close by . There's a creche in the estate and there's a docors office but that's never been filled .

It's a 15 minute walk into town although it's all uphill on the way home . Local pub is Maisie Kellys but most pubs in the town are within walking distance . No clubs in the town although there will be one shortly when the new hotel opens on the main street .

If ya fancy walking there's a laneway at the rear of the estate that takes you through a forest to Glenart castle - there's a few trails you can follow depending on how much exercise the dog needs .

Arklow itself is fine - no more of a crime problem than anywhere else - there's beaches close by - plenty of golf courses - two swimming pools - train service aint great - bus service is grand - restauraunts aren't great in the town but there's nice ones close by .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 anna766

Arklow itself is fine - - there's beaches close by -.

the beaches are fine to walk on, but not really safe for swimming due to water quality problems but also dodgy tides and shelving. not that you'd manage much swimming this summer either way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ritz for d'Lack

Hi, I'm planning on moving to Arklow soon and have been looking at houses in the Woodlands estate. Could someone who knows the area please give me some advice on what its like to live there? I've been told its fine but the more opinions the better. Is there much crime or anti-social behavior? Also, whats the nightlife like in Arklow?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Cartoon Head,

I live in Templerainey which is on the Dublin side of Arklow, just off the Dublin Road - near the Gala shop... I can honestly say I haven't locked my car in 3 years, and no one's nicked it yet... Not that it's a scrap ball, it's not but crime I find is not a problem. Personal point of view (and sorry to the Woodlands residents) I just preferred the older style house, and what I considered to be a more settled neighbourhood. Woodlands is a young estate, generally, and when I moved down, I didn't know what to expect from there.... So I took the safe option....

Since then I've met people who live down the road from Woodlands and they've not had any probs from the people within the estate so be your own judge on that....

What's with all the Electricity Pylons down there anyway??

• Advertisement
Advertisement