Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full driving test therory questions

Options
  • 19-06-2008 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

im doing my test in about a month, and im just wondering what type of therory questions will the instructer ask me? will he ask me while we are out driving and when will he ask me to open the bonnet? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi, there's a sticky for most of this here:sticky. And as for when these questions will be asked. The questions on the rules of the road will be asked in the office before being taken out to your car. The examiner will sit you down, ask you to sign a document stating that your car is road worthy and has valid insurance and then he will proceed to ask you questions on road signs and general rules of the road. After which he will take you out to the car and ask you the technical checks. Only after this is done and he has checked everything is working, ie: lights, brake lights etc, will the actual driving part of the test begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Overature wrote: »
    will he ask me while we are out driving
    You will not be asked anything while driving. You will only be given directional instructions.

(You may be asked to demonstrate hand signals while pulled over prior to reverse/hillstart/turabout.)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

ok thanks, its good to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

Testers in most centres and esp SGS centres always ask the same questions on the rules of the road before a driving test:

The most asked questions in my experience are as follows:

When driving at night when do you dip your headlights?
    ANSWER:
    When meeting oncoming traffic, driving closely behind another vehicle. continuously lit roads/areas, dense fog and falling snow, beginning and ending of lighting up hours ie. dusk and dawn.

What rules apply to a box junction:
    ANSWER
    You cannot stop in the yellow box. You have to be able to clear it fully with the exception of turning right without causing an obstruction.

What is a Clearway?
    ANSWER
    Stopping and parking prohibited during times show except for buses and taxis.

Can you cross a continuous white line?
    ANSWER
    No but you can cross it to avoid an obstruction.

What does an amber light mean?
    Stop unless it is unsafe to do so

When can you overtake on the left?
    ANSWER
    When the traffic or vehicle in front has signalled to turn right and you wish to go straight or turn left, when traffic in the right hand lane is moving more slowly.

National speed limit?
    1OOkm/h

Minimum tyre depth?
    1.6mm

Max speed limit on a motorway?
    120km/h

The questoins are asked after the tester has checked to make sure your licence is valid (not out of date), is your licence and not that of someone else's (you're not doing your test for someone else), that your licence is the correct category (category B for a car)

He will ask you to read a few sentences as said already that you sign to say that the car your taking for your test is roadworthy, has a valid insurance and tax disc and nct if the car is over 4 years old. The car must have an nct disc if the year of registration is 2003 or before for this year.

He/she will then ask a maximum of 6 rules of the road questions, and bout 10 -12 road signs before you go out to your car to do the mechanical check as mentioned above. If it is raining heavily the hand signals will be asked at the testers desk but if not they are normally asked after the turnabout is completed but can be asked any time you're parked on the left i.e before or after your reverse/turnabout/hillstart.

Advertisement