Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speedometer not working

Options
  • 19-06-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Hi, A few weeks ago we got caught in bad rain on the way through loughrea , and the car got a nice under body wash....Since then the speedo has'nt worked , also the petrol guage goes a bit funny when you corner hard to the right.

Anyone any ideas on how to fix it or is it a garage job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Based on what you say, it's obvious that you have suffered water ingress into some electrical components. Go to your local dealer/mechanic and have it rectified - it's the only answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If your living in Loughrea there is a garage about 4 miles down the Portumna Road on the left hand side that has a good knowledge in instrument calibration. He would have a good idea how to sort it out. Sounds like water has shorted some circuitry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Were in athlone , we were driving through loughrea , sorry should have said so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Were in athlone , we were driving through loughrea , sorry should have said so.
    It still might be worth while finding out his number. Any garage in the area would know of him, might be worth posting it on Boards. I know guys that have travelled from Ennis to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I would guess it's a Focus as it is a known fault with them. Test drove one last week and it had it, the right hand side electric window was also on strike!!!

Shame because the car was gorgeous apart from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the fuel gauge will fluctuate if you do not have a full tank . now as for speedo look into a component called the vss. (vehicle speed sensor) common problem these things can go . if you hit a puddle hard its not only the effect water on electronics you also have to look at the force of the water coming up through the engine bay. water can pull cables pipes out of the way . i had a focus diesel. i hit i flood. broke radiator mountings and turbo intake cracked and bent its mountings. so although its cool driving in puddles and soaking people at the bus stops its not so good for the engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Martron wrote: »
    i had a focus diesel. i hit i flood. broke radiator mountings and turbo intake cracked and bent its mountings.

That's shocking! :eek:

i am telling you its mad what happens. i only found out 2 days after when the van had no power and a rattling....... company transport. could not tell you how much it cost to fix. refitted smaller intake. poor old bessie was never the same again

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Friend of mine had a Vectra diesel with a surprisingly low air intake. He found out how low it was when he drove into a small flood under a flyover and it sucked up enough water to produce hydraulic lock.

Blew the cylinder head clean off. Car was 1 month old.

nmacc wrote: »
    Friend of mine had a Vectra diesel with a surprisingly low air intake. He found out how low it was when he drove into a small flood under a flyover and it sucked up enough water to produce hydraulic lock.

Blew the cylinder head clean off. Car was 1 month old.

this is what i am telling you. before that happened there was no water i would not drive through.

i know diesels are hardy engines but on cars they put the intake so low. if they had them up high they would be as good as jeeps. without the ground clearance

• Advertisement
Advertisement