Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A er... Wind Turbine Has Grown Behind My House

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Rather bizarrely.

Is this common?
    Is this allowed?

Am I dreaming...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

well if you plant one, it will grow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

pics or it didnt happen
    `

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pretty sure those things need planning permission...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Tell your brother next time around not to eat a tin of beans and stand outside around the back of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    pics or it didnt happen
    `

brb

• Advertisement

Pics not uploading, anyway it one of these giants:

how-to-build-a-wind-turbine.jpg

Tin Foil Hat Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Dromore West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Whereabouts in Sligo are you living Sueme?

Its been erected on top of Roemer Furniture, Pearse Road.

I'm not dreaming, all the neighbours are wandering around looking confused.

Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

how tall is it?i think if a structure
    is under 14ft it doesnt need planning.Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement

Its alot higher than 14', its hard to estimate as it seems to be on top of the building. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Culchie wrote: »
    Dromore West?
    We have our monoliths on the slopes of the Ox mountains, I'll have you know. :p

wow thats mad did you see them building it?you should lodge a complaint.
    Posted via Mobile Device

It follows you too. You know the way in some paintings the eyes seem to follow you as you move around? Ditto.

And my cameras SD card won't work after I took some shots of it.

I'd start building a bunker in my garden but, y'know... its watching..

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

sueme wrote: »
    It follows you too. You know the way in some paintings the eyes seem to follow you as you move around? Ditto.

And my cameras SD card won't work after I took some shots of it.

I'd start building a bunker in my garden but, y'know... its watching..

:eek:

LOL :D

Thanks Sue! I spat out my tea reading that!

Never a dull moment! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It may well already have planning, but no-one took any notice (or didn't see) the public notices. You can check the planning register database on the council's website.

Either way, I think they look really cool. Here's the ones in the Ox Mountains.

picmtn_ct-00366-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think they look cool too, but I wouldn't want one at the back of my house......although they are much nicer then pylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think they look cool too, but I wouldn't want one at the back of my house......although they are much nicer then pylons.

I'd quite like to have one in the front garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I'd quite like to have one in the front garden.

Me too! If I had a front garden....... I love them too. We used to take the dogs to a beach in Holland where there was a row of the turbines, I also thought the noise was amazing.

The shadow caused by them can literally make a person crazy. Plus they sometimes make a lot of noise. If you do think that its annoying sueme I'd complain straight away.

• Advertisement

In the cold light of day, it doesn't look as HUGE as I thought. Still big, and can't hear anything...yet.

Its quite soothing in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Is this allowed? Once they have planning , which I would be sure they have and its loo late now to object.

One question I it loud ? Am I corect in saying that when the wind is blowing very strong they run on motors to keep at a constant speed and you hear of people complaining about the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

The shadow caused by them can literally make a person crazy.
    That is a scientific FACT!!!

I think it's cool - will have to check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

maybe you can run some wires down from it and tell the ESB to......

Its not as bad as you made out originally Sueme, but it seems to be in a pretty pointless place, plus its on its own. Is it a publicity stunt? Anyone got any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

we can't burn fossell fuels forever get used to it.

MORE TURBINES !!

Firstly, fossil fuels were almost certainly used in the creation of the turbine.
    Secondly, if its in a crap spot them it won't even contribute any meaningful amount of electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Firstly, fossil fuels were almost certainly used in the creation of the turbine.
    Secondly, if its in a crap spot them it won't even contribute any meaningful amount of electricity.

Putting aside the possibility that it is a publicity stunt (Roemer getting into renewable energy widgets?), that fossil fuels were used in its' construction doesn't mean it wasn't worth it if it can pay for itself over its' lifetime. I've no idea whether it can generate a meaningful amount of electricity, but something like lighting a building doesn't take much, and if it can do that over a long term period then it'll definitely have been worth it.

The Geothermal system my sister is getting installed probably took a good deal of energy to construct and install but it's still very efficient and will save a lot of money and energy over its' lifetime. If the same can be said of the turbine then the bootstrapping energy is worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

The wind turbines are grande. Its these things that are springing up all over the countryside like viruses getting "fast tracked" that would be my concern :eek:

http://www.athboypylonpressure.com/files/AAPfiles/Pylons2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Just looking at the pic there of the ox mountains and the turbines don't do the view any favours. Is their any reason wind turbines are white? Surely a better finish can be applied so they don't stick out as much, or is there a rare sleepy headed low flying bird of prey that needs high viz sign posts?

Advertisement