Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A er... Wind Turbine Has Grown Behind My House

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I actually love the view of the turbines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

erm .... durr ....Roemer .....Dutch ......Windmill......economic meltdown .......Publicity:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Have to agree with Xiney, I like the view of the turbines.

As long as it's not bothering you sueme it should be grand. Bit of an odd place to put it all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I spotted that yesterday too, thought it was odd.

Who knows, maybe bob roemer is feeling the pinch of rising energy costs and has to find an alternative? :p

Or........... maybe........... just maybe its a publicity stunt.

Afaik, if you generate electricity surplus to your own needs, the ESB have to buy it off you? Maybe its another method for him to make money?

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Afaik, if you generate electricity surplus to your own needs, the ESB have to buy it off you?

Wahay!

I'm in the wrong business.

*gets loads of cats and hooks them up to power generating treadmills*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Culchie wrote: »
    erm .... durr ....Roemer .....Dutch ......Windmill......economic meltdown .......Publicity:rolleyes:

Is this not stereo typing like calling dutch people cheese heads or tulip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

no the esb doesn't buy it back from you yet,the greens were supposed to introduce this in government but they've been so dazed at being befriended by the older cool kids that they haven't done their schoolwork!
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I've got one in my back garden. You don't need planning if it satisfies the following:

Wind turbines with a mast height of 10 metres and a rotor diameter of 6 metres will be exempt from planning permission requirements subject to the following conditions:

The rotor diameter should be 6 metres or less

There should be a 3 metre minimum clearance between the lower tip of the rotor and the ground

The minimum distance of a wind turbine from its nearest neighbouring boundary would equal the total height of the turbine plus 1 metre

Noise levels at the nearest neighbouring dwelling should be less than 43dB(A), or less than 5dB above background noise

Only one turbine is permitted within the curtilage of a house

The turbine must be situated behind the front wall of the house

All turbine components should have a matt, non-reflective finish and the blade shall be made of material that does not deflect telecommunication signals

No advertising materials or logos may be placed or appear on turbinesSo it gets easier, we had to apply for planning permission to our local council as we were well before this announcement as well as applying to the Electricity Supply Board (ESB) for permission to connect to the grid via the Inverter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GG66 wrote: »
    I've got one in my back garden. You don't need planning if it satisfies the following:

Wind turbines with a mast height of 10 metres and a rotor diameter of 6 metres will be exempt from planning permission requirements subject to the following conditions:

Hub Height I thought , the mast is maybe 500mm lower becuase the hub rotates on top !

The minimum distance of a wind turbine from its nearest neighbouring boundary would equal the total height of the turbine plus 1 metre

so thats 10m hub + (6m diameter / 2 for radius =3m ) or 13m + 1m = 14m

Only one turbine is permitted within the curtilage of a house

a factory or warehouse is not a house

the 10m hub height rule also applies if the mast is bolted on the side of a building .

but yes, its much easier to install a turbine nowadays , Dick Roche (of all people) made it so .

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Those details were plucked directly from the Dept of Environment web site in relation to domestic micro turbines. I couldn't find anything more official than that unless it's out of date... wouldn't be surprised

Most likely different for commercial ...

I recall hearing that the distance from residential boundary was reduced to 7 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Update: The suspicious (very noisy) wind turbine was disconnected due to lack of planning permission. LOL.

cute :P

Thanks for the update!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

sueme wrote: »
    Update: The suspicious (very noisy) wind turbine was disconnected due to lack of planning permission. LOL.

did you make a complaint?You probably should when they retroactively apply for planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

theres a simple explanation the aliens have landed
    or maybe its just that roemer is dutch
    'awh yah we do good with the elechtrowind energy in the shligo'

LOL

Where's Mr T?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

hupyago wrote: »
    theres a simple explanation the aliens have landed
    or maybe its just that roemer is dutch
    'awh yah we do good with the elechtrowind energy in the shligo'