Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expressmatch.co.uk - Anyone get caught out with this crowd like me???

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, Got a call from this crowd the other day, I have my car advertised for sale on car buyers guide. However, at the time the guy that rang led me to believe that they worked with car buyers guide. Basically they do finance and they "help" sell your car for a fee. (I know I was foolish but hear me out :o..)

He told me they take your credit card details and will debit 199.00GBP from the card when the car is sold. He told me that they already had a potential buyer that would be calling me within the hour to arrange a viewing and that if it sold I would get approx 600 euro above the asking price .. (I know I feel so stupid!)

After an hour I got a bit concerned and rang my bank and the money had been taken out of my credit card. I tried to contact them straight away, after 2 days I got talking to someone who just kept telling me to put it in writing and that I should have cancelled wthin 24 hours and that the terms and conditions were in the confirmation e-mail. I was at work so didn't check my e-mails til the next day.

I know now the whole thing is a scam but the guy did tell me he had a "buyer" and that no money would be taken until the car was sold. Both untrue of course!

Ive written a letter to them and sent them e-mails and keep calling to speak to the director but they keep fobbing me off. I justg want to warn everybody about these con artists, they obviously take ads off of car buyers guide mainly..

So basically I know I prob wont get my 256 euro back. Im just wondering has anyone else gotten dooped by these f*%kers?
    And advice or comments appreciated too.. Thanks

P.S I dont want to hear comments about sharing credit card info either, Ive learned my lesson :o:o:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Any cance you could use the standard font? Thanks;)

Well that scam has been seen here many a time before, and getting in contact with these scammers wont get you anywhere. Lesson learned Dont give your credit card details out to some randomer on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - From what you've said, you did not give permission for any money to be charged to your CC until your car was sold. You should therefore immediately take the matter up with your CC provider, who can cancel the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

:( bad buzz dude

I got a call off people like that too

general rule is if something sounds to good to be true it probably is.
    Only thing you can do it scare them into giving you your money back. its probably just one guy.

I'm sure if you took a picture of his house and emailed it to him he woud give you your cash back... but thats a bit extreme.

LOL

There is a thread about a scammer that did the same thing on a Mercedes owners lub... they eventually found out where he lived etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kkalm

Hi, Thanks for the replies.. I rang the CC provider again today and they said there is nothing I can do as I willingly gave over the details. However, I did ring them the evening I gave over the details in order to cancel the transaction (when i realised it was a scam!) and the lady said the transacton was pending. I could have blocked the transaction but She advised me to leave it a day or so as they were probably just making sure that it was a valid card.
    So could the CC provider have some liability? She did tell me that she recognised the company and that I probably had nothing to worry about.. The CC provider record their calls so there is evidence of the conversation..:o

The CC provider HAS to refund your money, as you did not authorise the charging of the money to your card. No offence, but I think you may need to be a bit firmer with them.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    The CC provider HAS to refund your money, as you did not authorise the charging of the money to your card. No offence, but I think you may need to be a bit firmer with them.

Yeah thats what I thought so I called them there again a few mins ago and I have to call back between 9 and 5 to discuss it. They already told me that they will have to wait approx 2 weeks to see if there is any response from the company. However, Im gonna call them tomoro to demand a more proactive approach to my problem. I'll point out that one of their staff advised me that "it would probable be fine" when I called to cancel the transaction..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Personally I would have called the credit card company and reported the card stolen to sort these fcuks out.

Did you not read any of the warning emails that are sent from CBG telling you of such scams?

Might be a way out for you in their terms and conditions

http://www.expressmatch.co.uk/EM3_Terms.html
    15. The Distance Selling Regulations give you the customer a cooling off period. If you have agreed with us for the service to start as soon as possible then your right to cancel will end once (1) you receive the Terms & Conditions by Email, Fax or Post and (2) our service has commenced. Should you receive these Terms & Conditions and wish to exercise your right to cancellation you must cancel in writing (either by Post orFax). Please do not hesitate to call upon receiving your Terms & Conditions, should you want additional information on your cancellation rights.

Well Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.. I was so angry over this whole situation and at how stupid I'd been I became even more determined to get my money back.

So all of last week I sent the same e-mail over and over to expressmatch, i also got on to the European Consumer Centre who advised me on my rights regarding my situation. They helped me quote plenty of legislation etc in another e-mail I wrote to the company. After still no reply from the company I attempted to telephone them again yesterday, of course no reply.

And then today out of the blue, I checked my banking online and the money has been refunded to my credit card! I have to clarify if this was the credit card co or Expressmatch but Im assuming it was Expressmatch, no explanation, telephone call, e-mail or anything. Clearly the e-mails worked and the advice i received from The ECC was brilliant. Also thank you everyone on here for the replies.

Im just so happy to have gotten a positive result! Thank GOD!

Moral of the Story, if any of these people try to call you to help sell your car, tell them to f*%k off!

Good to hear.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Good news......but.....
    If you gave them your CC details they would, I assume, still have them.
    They would more than likely not use them again but would you not be safer cancelling the CC and getting a new one?? Could be waaaaay off the mark but personally thats what I'd do. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm a little shocked that everyone is so behind kkalm, he knowingly gave his CC number to a person who cold called him. The holder of the card has a duty of care not to expose himself or his card to fraud. He got greedy hearing that the company could get him more that he was asking for, which is so rare when selling a car it's nearly always a scam.

kkalm, i've won 10 million euro on the lottery but cannot collect it for legal reasons, if you deposit 1000 euro into my back account i'll post you my wining ticket.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

I'm a little shocked that everyone is so behind kkalm, he knowingly gave his CC number to a person who cold called him. The holder of the card has a duty of care not to expose himself or his card to fraud. He got greedy hearing that the company could get him more that he was asking for, which is so rare when selling a car it's nearly always a scam.

kkalm, i've won 10 million euro on the lottery but cannot collect it for legal reasons, if you deposit 1000 euro into my back account i'll post you my wining ticket.
    Have you never done anything stupid yourself?

it's not about making mistakes, it's about taking responsibility for them when you make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

In all fairness, Kkalm came here and in their first post admitted that they were wrong and had done something stupid.
    They asked for advice.
    They got advice.
    It was good advice and helped get their money back!

This serves as both a warning to future punters and shows how participating in a forum like this can really help you out sometimes.

I don't think it's necessary to point out that giving out your cc details is stupid, that was point was conceded in the op.

it's not about making mistakes, it's about taking responsibility for them when you make them.
    He made a mistake, he's learnt his lesson, and he managed to get his money back. What exactly do you want here?

Nothing, I never said i wan't him to do anything. I said i was surprised everyone was backing him up. The CC company could have easily said they weren't crediting him back his money, which i'm surprised they didn't considering they are as bad as loan sharks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

So is your gripe with kkalm or credit card companies?

I'm not even sure what you're giving out about...

Nothing, I never said i wan't him to do anything. I said i was surprised everyone was backing him up.
    I don't know what kind of a person you are, but if someone comes to me looking for advice when they've made a mistake then I try to help them.
    The CC company could have easily said they weren't crediting him back his money, which i'm surprised they didn't considering they are as bad as loan sharks.
    No they couldn't, as the OP never authorised the charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anan1 wrote: »
    No they couldn't, as the OP never authorised the charge.

Yes s/he did. He gave them his credit card details when e was asked for them to auth a £199 charge to it.

testicle wrote: »
    Yes s/he did. He gave them his credit card details when e was asked for them to auth a £199 charge to it.
    (S)he authorised them to charge the money when the car was sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The story had a happy end for the OP ...we'll leave it at that, shall we?

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement