Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Whats people general view on this car? I'm thinking of buying one but havent heard too much about them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Had one until yesterday:(. Now recycled to a distant cousin of mine. Would have another gladly, just stay away from Volvo stealers and it's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Have one. Like it.

If you're buying a pre-owned one, make sure to get one with lots of toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

how old are you? if you are older than 50 its ok.

and if its a new one you do realise its a ford focus with volvo bodywork!

i will leave that with ya.

better looking cars in that class

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Martron wrote: »
    how old are you? if you are older than 50 its ok

Meh. The average age of buyers of new cars is about 50 anyways and there's (surprisingly) little difference between traditional sports cars makes and others

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

newv or old model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have one. I like it but there isn't much boot space in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i will leave that with ya.

I don't see thats a bad thing - the focus is still the cream of the crop for ride and handling in its segment.

OP first thing I would do is take anything I am told on here with a pinch of salt. Its half informed rubbish like Martron's post you need be most sceptical of.

I like the s40/v50 provided its the current model your talking about, the previous generation ain't wonderful imo. (pre 04), do get loads of toys though and be choosy theres a few about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I know they're built on the same platform, but anyone who's ever even looked through the window of a Focus and a S40 (let alone sat in them) will know what a crock that statement is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have one and am very impressed with it. The boot isn't actually that small it's just a very narrow opening, I've stuffed a ridiculous amount of gear into it, it just takes planning.

Agree with people saying get a good spec, if you're going secondhand, go for the SE Lux spec. Rush hour traffic becomes a lot more bearable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

i haven't driven the new one - but the S40/V40 steer pretty well. Quite easy to drive, big mirrors, seats adjust well, they are now *very* cheap - and back in 96/97 when they came out - they were just about the safest car that could be bought - as tested by the Euro NCAP. Even to this day I remember reading that article when it came out - how the S40 had made mincemeat of the *then* current C-Class and 3-series crash-wise.

Like I said, havent driven the S40/V50 combo - but sat in them at showroom. Current ones quite nice and with flexifuel discount are very good value. I question how well they will wear the miles though - and I'm starting to see an awful lot on the used market...

If it was me - I'd probably be wanting an 04 S40/V40 - i.e, the last of the old ones with 50/60k on the clock - and I'd want that for no more than 8-10k. My experience of them has seen total reliability also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

sold my 98 1.9 d last year. Not the quickest off at the lights but good motorway car. very comfy seats. sold with 180,000 miles.
    had a tow hitch on it pulled 2 axle trailer with it. Some times with 1-2 tonnes. Not a bother other than regular service 6000 miles and a bushing /shock and a few other small things. not so sure about the look of the new one though. It does not look as big or as well built as old one. My bro has the new one would no fancy pulling 2 tonnes behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have one. Like it.

I've seen Mike's S40 in the flesh, and it's a very smart looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Have the 2.0d se premium and have to say its a fantastic car.

Boot is a little small you can still get two dead bodies in it.

Not a fan of the mid life body upgrade though.

Spec is well worth the extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Was thinking of buying one myself a few months ago but got put off by the tales of depreciation. Checked it out and it seems to be a bit of an issue alright. If it was a second hand buy it would probably be OK but they depreciate heavily enough from new. Nice looking car though. The only other slight concern is that they don't age very well (not that any do I suppose).

Advertisement