Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty training for cats

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,
    We've got two cats (kittens :) ) one is about 7 months and the other is about 14 weeks. We got the first kitten when she was 10 weeks and never had a problem with the cat using her litter tray. The latest one we've got is struggling though.

I'm not sure what his problem is as he does use his litter tray for no. 2's and alot of no. 1's but it seems that he goes anywhere that resembles a small space, e.g. I haven't seen him go on the carpet yet but he's gone in the other cats bed and (the one that's really annoying me) on our duvet. So I'm thinking he might be confusing these spaces for a tray :confused:

It's a huge problem as I can't trust him anywhere especially as I can't afford to get the duvet washed every couple of days which sorta means you can't enjoy the whole point of having cats if ye know what I mean. <Picture>Crazy cat lady </Picture>

So any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Pissing in your and the other cats beds ...that ain't a potty training issue :D

He's trying to tell you something ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Often this can be a problem caused by bullying. Try getting a second litter tray and putting it as far as possible from the first one, so that the other cat can't guard both at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jameshayden

If your cat is not using his litter box it may be because she does not like the litter box. Maybe you're using a litter that is scented too strongly, or the litter box is dirty, or he doesn't like where you put it, or she may not like the feel of the litter you bought. Try changing the litter and place a few of them around the house. You can later get rid of the ones he doesn't use. And try these steps
    step 1- when you see your cat/kitten about to poop pick it up gently and carry to the litter box

step 2- give lots of attention once done the toilet and a treat

step 3-repeat very time until it learns doing the toilet in the box is a good thing

if it dose it anyway ells lightly tap the cat/kitten on the nose and say no

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/106211_cat-litter-box-training.htm
    http://www.cattrainingsecrets.net/

Cheers
    Zane.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Never tap a cat on the nose for wrong doing. The cat will not understand why you are hurting it, plus the nose is a very delicate area, it contains a lot of small fragile bones that could break quite easily.

If a cat is having issues with toileting it is because of something you are doing or not doing, or possibly not providing. When introducing a second cat you cannot assume that they can use the same litter tray. A lot of cats don't like sharing a litter tray. The rule of thumb is one tray per cat plus one extra.

Generally when a cat is going to the toilet in inappropriate places the first thing that should be done is a vet check for a UTI. Stress and bullying usually result in urinary tract infections, so even if it starts out for some other reason after it is going on for a while there will mostly be an infection present, you will not solve any peeing issues while they have an infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

We had this and it was because of bullying but we had 2 litter trays at the time.

Tip from vet: Put second litter tray as far away in the same room as the first one. It just stops any "bouncer" issues with the trays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement