Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Insurance for a foreign driver?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Just thinking about this one... Generally, is it possible to get a foreign driver insured on my car? The wife has a Canadian licence and isn't too keen on getting an Irish one. Forgiving her stubbornness, is it generally done?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This would be better off in Motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Can you move?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Shouldn't be a problem. Husband and I came over from theUK years ago and although it took a few insurance companies, we got sorted with Axa and been with them ever since. Find them very good on the claims side too!! You could give them a try and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your wife intends to be here for more than 12 months, then legally she has to get an Irish licence.

If she intends to be here 12 months or less, then (assuming Canada is one of the approved countries ... I think it is) she's allowed to drive on her Canadian licence + international permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Both my wife and I had no problems getting Insurance before we switched our licenses over to Irish ones so I don't see there being a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement