Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got the game

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Battlefield 2 & Special Forces (25 euro in game) and I'm getting terrible lag on most servers. I have a 3mb connection so this shouldn't be. Can anyone recommend some good low ping servers for both BF2 and SF ?

Also, should I start with BF2 or go straight for SF ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Dunno if much people play SF. For me it was just xtra unlocks. Best thing for ping is to use the filters on the servers page. Type in ping of 80. did you patch it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Dunno if much people play SF. For me it was just xtra unlocks. Best thing for ping is to use the filters on the servers page. Type in ping of 80. did you patch it up?

Dont they? Blah, should have just bought the game on its own for 15e.

Yeah Ive patched to v1.41 - thats the most recent aint it ? Ive sorted the servers by ping and gone for the lowers ones but still end up with ping of around 120.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Also, manually update punkbuster before you start.

Do a manual update of punkbuster .

Step 1: Download THIS! (dont worry, its an official program from the punkbuster webby)

Step 2: Put the .exe in the pb folder of BF2, (C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\pb).

Step 3: Run the .exe then select BF2 from the drop down menu and choose check for updates. (any updates will download in front of your very eyes in the pb folder)

Step 4: Try the game

"Check for Updates" needs to be done every time you want to play BF2. To make things simple, make a shourtcut on your desktop to "pbsetup" OR the "pb" folder itself for quicker access to the exe.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Also, manually update punkbuster before you start.

Thanks ladyamigo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tusky wrote: »
    Dont they? Blah, should have just bought the game on its own for 15e.

Yeah Ive patched to v1.41 - thats the most recent aint it ? Ive sorted the servers by ping and gone for the lowers ones but still end up with ping of around 120.

A ping of 120 would mean the east coast US or far eastern Europe. Do you have anything else running, P2P apps etc?

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    A ping of 120 would mean the east coast US or far eastern Europe. Do you have anything else running, P2P apps etc?

Nothing else running. I got a ping of 60 there but had frequent game pauses with the message 'there is a problem with your connection'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nothing else running. I got a ping of 60 there but had frequent game pauses with the message 'there is a problem with your connection'.

Are you on a wireless provider or anything?

Spear wrote: »
    Are you on a wireless provider or anything?

I'm on Bt and I'm using a wireless router, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Wireless is probably your problem then...try direct connection to the Router.

Blah. I knew wireless wasnt as fast as a direct connect but didnt think it would be this bad...seeing as it is 3mb.

My ping is jumping from 40-500 and im getting lag spikes every couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

wireless+gaming=sh!te, just not worth the hassle buy some cat-5 cable and connect yer pc up

Blah. I knew wireless wasnt as fast as a direct connect but didnt think it would be this bad...seeing as it is 3mb.

My ping is jumping from 40-500 and im getting lag spikes every couple of minutes.

Wireless inherently exposes you to the possibilities of dropped packets and interference. Try a wired connection first to see if the wireless is to blame. After that you could try shifting the wireless channel to see if that improves anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I have always used www.game-monitor.com to look for servers, just keep it to ones within 500 km for best pings (the BF2 in-game server page is pants).

But you need to get your wireless BB sorted first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

when you get your wireless sorted take a look at QTracker

I have been using it for years and it beats the in game browser hands down, plus its free and supports lots of online games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was gonna suggest game-monitor also. Try some uk or german servers ping always around 20 - 30 ms. Some I play on are =22nd= SAS Regiment 24/7 Warlord, *ATG* 24/7 UK Dalian Plant [FF=OFF], Bamboo Commandos Ranked, CANDYS Infantry. Install the game-monitor plugin for firefox and you will find more than what the bf2 browser picks up. Qtracker also good and lets you join instantly by selecting the server you want and skips the intro screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

i like to play on BBUK (bodybags UK). Some good admins there that don't allow any feicacting.

Just played Team Fortress 2 there with next to no lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It happens....but BF2 or TF2 whats it gonna be? :p

There's a bit of a difference between TF2 and Bf2 regarding info sent/ received, BF2 is a lot more demanding on your system than TF2.

What are your system specs?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320.0 MB

• Advertisement

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320.0 MB

Hmm, no problems there. Did you try a direct connection with a cable?

Hmm, no problems there. Did you try a direct connection with a cable?

Its kind of awkward as the router is in another room...Im not sure Battlefield is worth it! And I cant bring the bloody thing back cause GAME are twats about PC returns. Blah.

Thanks for your help though.

Its kind of awkward as the router is in another room...Im not sure Battlefield is worth it! And I cant bring the bloody thing back cause GAME are twats about PC returns. Blah.

Thanks for your help though.

Well, I think its worth it.... :(

Just try it pllllleeeeasssee...... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

remember kids, wireless routers make jesus cry.

Well, I think its worth it.... :(

Just try it pllllleeeeasssee...... :pac:

I suppose I should, shouldnt I ? I dont even think this pc has a network card so I'll have to buy one of them first. I'll keep yea updated! :)

I suppose I should, shouldnt I ? I dont even think this pc has a network card so I'll have to buy one of them first. I'll keep yea updated! :)

Unless your PC is ancient then there's bound to be an integrated network adapter onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

If you are using XP there is an easy fix for this but if you're using vista there isn't. Whats causing this is Windows checking for new wireless networks every couple of minutes.

XP or Vista ?

Advertisement