Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to plant oak trees?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hello all, a while back i wanted to plant some oak trees, Irish heritage & carbon footprint issues..

So i collected some acorns.

Half a year later i have 20 saplings, all doing well in their temporary pots in the garden, but the problem is i want to plant them in a place where they won't be cut down in 10 years to build a tesco.

I was thinking Wicklow - Blessington lakes area, which i'm beside, but a lot of the forests here are pine, ie. possibly grown to be cut down for furniture & what not.

Does anyone know of a protected area these little oak trees can have a long and full life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe ring up Enfo and ask? Or ask garden designers?

Are these Irish oaks or damn foreigners? The difference is that one (the Irish, I think - others may elucidate) don't hang their acorns from a stem, but directly from the branch.

I give my oak seedlings, grown from acorns found on walks in autumn, to friends in Wicklow, who would nevernevernever cut down a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

google guerilla gardening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Chauncey_freak

These acorns are from very old trees in Ucd - they aren't foreign, but they're still townies :P I'll give them to people who live rural, they'll mostly be in wicklow too.

PS guerrillagardening.org - fantastic blog!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

beolight wrote: »
    google guerilla gardening

class site

• Advertisement

just thinking would our version of guerilla gardening be the local tidy towns commitee?

Advertisement