Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless not working on Netopia 2247-02, suggestions? Recommend an alt. modem?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

The wireless functionality of my modem has gone completely busto. All seems to be working fine on the modem side of things, however none of my wireless devices (phones, iPod touch, laptops, Xbox 360) can connect to it. I've tried hard resetting the modem and re-installing the firmware on it. No joy.

So, two questions...

1. Has anyone experienced this or can they suggest any other fixes I may not have tried?

2. Can anyone suggest a different brand of modem that has been proven to work with Eircom broadband?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The wireless functionality of my modem has gone completely busto. All seems to be working fine on the modem side of things, however none of my wireless devices (phones, iPod touch, laptops, Xbox 360) can connect to it. I've tried hard resetting the modem and re-installing the firmware on it. No joy.

So, two questions...

1. Has anyone experienced this or can they suggest any other fixes I may not have tried?

2. Can anyone suggest a different brand of modem that has been proven to work with Eircom broadband?

Are you sure that the wireless function has not been switched off in the router settings?

Any adsl modem/router should work with eircom or you could just buy a wireless router (what is often referred to as a cable router) put your current one into bridge mode and attach the router and voila you are back on air:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Yeah mate, positive... I've done everything I can thing of. Reverted to older firmware, hard resets, soft resets, latest firmware - the lot. I don't really want another power brick, another piece of hardware, more IP addresses to worry about, none of that. I'm going to just replace it with another all in one modem/wireless router.

Do you, or anybody else, have any definite hardware suggestions?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well you are in Dublin and if you want something pretty quickly this model should be available in ITDirect in Parliament Street:

http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

and if you need the settings for it:

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

OP - try manually setting the WLAN channel to 13 (as opposed to automatic) - restart the router and see how you get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

I've had a similar problem with this router. Just got eircom bb 2 days ago and last night i had my laptop, ps3 and psp all able to connect to my router with good signals on all of them. Today at lunch i went to play the ps3 online and it couldn't find the router. Then tried my psp that couldn't find it unless i was around 5 feet away from it but my laptop connected no problem from the same room as the ps3. Tried restarting the router but nothing changed.

Going to try changing the channell later hopefully that sorts it.

Got it sorted last night, the problem was an av transmitter i use to get sky in another room once i knocked that off i went from having no signal up to 85%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement